Online course - what are my rights?

Hi all you money savers!

Im a newbie to the forums and Im hoping to seek your advice on an issue I am facing at the moment.

6 days ago I purchased a course online to further my career skills. Although I purchased the course online, it is classroom based and is scheduled to commence in 11 days.

Due to unforseen circumstances I am unable to attend the course and wondered what my rights were in regards to obtaining a refund. The company website states that courses purchased online are non refundable or eligible for exchange. Are they able to enforce that? What are my consumer rights here? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• You have the right to cancel for a full refund for 14 days from the date they tell you that you have that right, or for 12 months and 14 days from the date of purchase, whichever is sooner. Since they haven't told you about your right to cancel, they also cannot make any deduction. CCR's are your friend.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    timbstoke is probably right but it would be worth confirming that the supplier is based in the UK (or EU) and is covered by the CCRs. Given the classroom element they probably are, but just make sure.
  • Thank you both so much for your advice!!!
  • timbstoke wrote: »
    You have the right to cancel for a full refund for 14 days from the date they tell you that you have that right, or for 12 months and 14 days from the date of purchase, whichever is sooner. Since they haven't told you about your right to cancel, they also cannot make any deduction. CCR's are your friend.

Thank you again for your advice, so I contacted the company and outlined my decision to cancel and quoted the information you gave me.

This was the response: I have spoken with my manager and as per our terms and conditions the course is non-movable non-refundable.

What do I do now in terms of trying to get my money back? :( Do I have a leg to stand on?
  • As you purchased this online then CCR will apply. You haven't mentioned whether they are UK based however given that it is a classroom based course I assume that it is.

The specific document that covers these regulations can be found here

It's important to note that there are some exceptions that relate to time sensitive services or goods however training courses do not fall into this category.

The upshot then is that they must give you 14 days within which to cancel. Not doing so is an offence.

My recommendation would be to send them the document I have linked and inform them that you expect confirmation of cancelation and refund or you will request a chargeback/section 75 and inform the authorities of their infringement.

Are you able to confirm the name of the company or training services?
  • Many thanks andycris3107 for taking the time to respond and for the information!

The situation is becoming increasingly frustrating for me. I took it upon myself to contact the citizens advice bureau, via their consumer helpline.

The advice I was given was that learning providers don't have an obligation to offer a refund because of the time and date rules you mentioned, even if it was a purchase made online. :( I was advised to write to them and ask them to refund as a gesture of goodwill, which I don't think they will do, but worth a try.

I really think its unfair that these rules apply especially if you are within a 14 day cooling period and the provider has enough of an opportunity to fill the space.
  • The advice you were given is completely wrong. There is nothing in CCR to exclude training or education providers.

Write to them (not email, but keep a copy and get proof of posting) telling them that you are exercising your right to cancel under the Consumer Contract Regulations 2012. You are aware that their T&C's cannot override your statutory rights, and as such you look forward to receiving a full refund within 14 days. If you paid by credit card, send a copy of the same letter to your card provider.

If that doesn't work, step 2 is a slightly more strongly worded version of the same letter, headed "Letter before Action" and a warning that you will initiate proceedings to recover your money. Again, copy your card company, and give them a call to see if they can perform a chargeback.

Step 3 is Moneyclaim online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport