Booking with On The Beach

Is there anything that can be done to stop £1162 administration charge on an amendment to a flight .I booked the wrong date informed on the beach within minutes. The agent I spoke to said get back next day they didn't. Monarch airlines don't charge an administration fee if notified within 24 hrs. On the beach say they try their best to deal with amendments within 3 days. I know I'm an idiot for not triple checking before booking. But surely paying3/4 of the original cost

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why didn't you call Monarch?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Well that's an expensive mistake to make.

And a firm never to use again.
  • I did but they can't help because I used a third party. Monarch's customer service can only deal that third party.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,352
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Why didnt you book direct with monarch.

I know in hindsight its easy but booking direct saves so much hassle if things need changing or indeed if the airline changes things themselves.

at least now you know never to use OTB again
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    At £1162 this does not sound like anadministration charge.

Although On The Beach will make a charge for their services and any alterations that you wish to make, the cost looks more to be for new flights to fit your new travel dates.
  • Try a test booking on the Monarch website and if possible keep the booking class the same with the new dates (depending on what date was wrong out or back or both)

Then you might see if OTB additional charges are accurate.

Its very easy to void a ticket when possible.
  • How many people, outbound and inbound alteration or just one, and how far in advance of the flight is it? That sounds like their admin fee, Monarch change fee, difference in fare cost and a whole lot more besides!

Like lot's of OTAs, OTB are less than stellar and it's so easy to book direct with the airlines. That way you've no one in between your and your bookings, and no extra layer of T&Cs to be bound by.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    See a solicitor...

OTB could have done it for you, and when you called them they made a promise that they did not keep. That sounds as if they failed to discharge the 'duty of care' that they owe you. However, arguing something like that in court could cost tens of thousands in legal fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure