Refused train ticket.

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2017 at 6:26PM
    I thought I had already answered your points regarding the reasons the clerk refused your offers/suggestions?

Contact your superior -he can't in most cases and would his superior have the authority to allow travel without 1st purchase?

Turn on the permit to travel machine - covered more than once, he doesn't have the authority.

Contact the driver of the train -you mean the guard -and how is he supposed to do that before the train arrives? How does he know the guards number? He'd have to contact a central control point 1st, by which time the train would be in.

Write on a piece of paper - he doesn't have the authority to allow you to travel sans ticket.

Must we really go round & round in circles?
    These might sound like 'sensible suggestions' to you (except the driver bit) but there are valid reasons for his refusal.

It was unfortunate that he could only take exact change, it may have only just happened and was obviously not predicted.

If you don't like the way you were treated then make a complaint.
    Most stations have CCTV to back up your side of the argument I'm sure.

Forget all the stuff/suggestions you think he should have done however as all of the stuff he 'refused' he was perfectly entitled to refuse and could actually end up in trouble for doing in many cases.

If you ever find a driver doing the fares on a train though -I'd advise you to get off quick as there's no one driving the train!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    discat11 - it sounds like the rules dictate that it's reasonable to not be able to travel despite having a sensible payment method (cash) ? You said in your first post to go to the train guard, but that might not be possible if it's a station with barrier...
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    discat11 - it sounds like the rules dictate that it's reasonable to not be able to travel despite having a sensible payment method (cash) ? You said in your first post to go to the train guard, but that might not be possible if it's a station with barrier...
    If there is a barrier and it is in use, there will be a person manning the barrier.
    Ok, there may be another discussion to be had at the barrier, but it might be a step forward - after all the OP was getting nowhere with the ticket office staff.

I wonder why the OP won't tell us how this situation was resolved?
    Did he travel or not?
  • consumer987
    consumer987 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 7:21PM
    National rail state they except all UK cash notes and coins. So the 10 pound note and various coins I had were fine.

Nothing about 'exact change' or having to go shopping to break up a 10 pound note first before boarding a train.

I see a regular poster ' blackbeard of perranporth' is attempting to entrap my thoughts and feelings in his/her post and to keep the suspense here on this forum like it is some type of game.

I find it strange how people like to entrap others at stations or forums with no support or empathy.

Particular thanks to Rosemerry7391 for her support and logical thinking.

Have a great summer. : )
  • consumer987
    i did not see page 2. I was stuck on page 1.

To wealdroam

It was a debit card

I had just 10 pounds and small change, that is all. I have every right to board the train without threats.

" Does "a middle aged male" going to "an important meeting in town" really risk going overdrawn when buying a train ticket for less that £10? "

Yes!

Middle aged men may have large amounts of trust funds, wealthy parents and a large house Or then again, maybe not!? Maybe I was travelling into town to help sort out child poverty? Maybe I am poor myself? It makes no difference. I now know that I had every right to board the train as I was prepared to pay with cash in hand. This was unfair treatment.

I also did not wish to give the full £10 note and over spend. I needed the cash for other things in town.

I had every right to pay by cash! Either at the station, or as he was unable to serve me due to lack of change in the till= on route or at the destination and all in a nice polite manner.

He threatened me with fines if were to board. I felt trapped and very stressed.

Thank you for your help

Have a nice summer.
  • Rosemary7391
    wealdroam wrote: »
    If there is a barrier and it is in use, there will be a person manning the barrier.
    Ok, there may be another discussion to be had at the barrier, but it might be a step forward - after all the OP was getting nowhere with the ticket office staff.

I wonder why the OP won't tell us how this situation was resolved?
    Did he travel or not?

Might've been the same person? That's the case for at least one station I frequent.

I also wonder why... it would be helpful to know...
  • consumer987
    edited 6 July 2017 at 8:47PM
    Whether I had to call a friend to drive me to town, or whether I walked, or whether I jumped on the train and paid on route is irrelevant to what happen in that ticket office. He left me with no alternative but to leave the station without a ticket; and so I did. Hurt.

Oh wait, do I predict a post? " Aww, the poor middle age man! How horrible for you to feel hurt : ) If that's the worst "hurt" you've experienced then you should think yourself very lucky! "

I have seen people picking up on the " middle aged man" aspect.

The sole reason I expressed "middle age man" was my deep concern that national rail policies may also expect old ladies or young children needing to get to school or home would also need to go shopping around the town for change when their train is due in approx 6 minutes?

How would you on the forum treat me if I expressed initially that I was an old lady?

It should make no odds who I am or how much wealth you think I should have.

My query is with the code of conduct and the policy of the station and what other people in the UK community feel is right.

What is the policy for all people when there is no change in the till?

Would an old lady be refused travel and given minimal support online?

(again, thanks to Rosemary)
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 July 2017 at 8:53PM
    In my local station the only time they don't accept cash is when there's a shift changeover. I'd be more than happy to pay by card in this case, although in fairness I usually do anyway.

I can believe they'd accept exact money only in this case to be cashed by the next person, but also don't see why a note scribbled on till roll (as I had when the card machine wasn't working one morning and I didn't have £26-odd in cash on me) couldn't have been provided so it could be paid either on the train or at the other end.

I've also paid at the other end when boarding at an unmanned station when the automated ticket machine has malfunctioned, with a photo on my phone to prove it again to get through the barriers.

Probably technically illegal, but I had the means to pay on me and was happy to do so, as seemingly was the OP in this case.
    💙💛 💔
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    When did all this drama happen?

What did the station management say in answer to your complaint?
  • Rosemary7391
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    In my local station the only time they don't accept cash is when there's a shift changeover. I'd be more than happy to pay by card in this case, although in fairness I usually do anyway.

I can believe they'd accept exact money only in this case to be cashed by the next person, but also don't see why a note scribbled on till roll (as I had when the card machine wasn't working one morning and I didn't have £26-odd in cash on me) couldn't have been provided so it could be paid either on the train or at the other end.

I've also paid at the other end when boarding at an unmanned station when the automated ticket machine has malfunctioned, with a photo on my phone to prove it again to get through the barriers.

Probably technically illegal, but I had the means to pay on me and was happy to do so, as seemingly was the OP in this case.

Thank you - that's a really useful idea. No idea why I hadn't thought about it before! (Possibly because the ticket machine is broken frequently enough that the ticket inspector doesn't bat an eyelid if you ask for a ticket from that station...)

(OP - try not flapping about being a middle aged male and answering the questions people trying to help you have asked!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure