PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Missing planning permission

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I guess my concerns are unfounded and I'll just leave it to the solicitor to do as she sees fit. I can't help feeling uneasy, I feel as though I'm buying something that has no legal right to be sold to me.

Then, in the nicest way, you need to tell the little voice in your head to pipe down. :o

When people apply for future planning permission after using PD, they have to provide drawings of what exists and the planners do a site visit. They assess against what exists at the time. The whole purpose of PD is to cut down on paperwork. There is no potential issue with future planning.

Have a read of the permitted development guidance, you should really should be able to assess whether it is PD and that should put that niggling feeling to rest, especially combined with the guidance on enforcement. Fact is, you will never be able to prevent a future buyer's solicitor from raising things unnecessarily. You just need a decent solicitor and the facts to be able to bat those things straight back.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl wrote: »
    Then, in the nicest way, you need to tell the little voice in your head to pipe down. :o

When people apply for future planning permission after using PD, they have to provide drawings of what exists and the planners do a site visit. They assess against what exists at the time. The whole purpose of PD is to cut down on paperwork. There is no potential issue with future planning.

Have a read of the permitted development guidance, you should really should be able to assess whether it is PD and that should put that niggling feeling to rest, especially combined with the guidance on enforcement. Fact is, you will never be able to prevent a future buyer's solicitor from raising things unnecessarily. You just need a decent solicitor and the facts to be able to bat those things straight back.

I'm calming down a bit thanks :) I had no idea that permitted development superceded any covenants. I assumed that covenants always had to be adhered to and that was why they were there in the first place.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »

lincroft1710 said "It is most likely too late for the council to do anything about it" without having a clue how old it was. That's the kind of assumption which causes people to have planning problems.

The OP had stated in his first post that the garage had been erected by a previous owner, not the person he was buying from. Therefore there was a good chance the garage would be more than 4 years old. Hence I said "most likely" not "definitely".

Over the years I have seen countless garages and extensions without pp, none have ever been the subject of a subsequent planning enforcement.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Whilst I'm waiting for my useless solicitor to get back to me, can someone run me through the practicalities of an indemnity policy.
    1. What exactly does the seller do and what does he give me ?
    2. I assume he gives me a piece of paper ?, do I pass this on to my seller if I ever resell or do I have to get a new policy myself ?
    3. I assume the policy covers all the costs in demolishing the garage ?
    4. Does it also cover the loss in re-sale value of the property ?
    5. How is the loss in re-sale value calculated, does a detached garage have a standard value for purposes of insurance ?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Whilst I'm waiting for my useless solicitor to get back to me, can someone run me through the practicalities of an indemnity policy.
    1. What exactly does the seller do and what does he give me ?
    2. I assume he gives me a piece of paper ?, do I pass this on to my seller if I ever resell or do I have to get a new policy myself ?
    3. I assume the policy covers all the costs in demolishing the garage ?
    4. Does it also cover the loss in re-sale value of the property ?
    5. How is the loss in re-sale value calculated, does a detached garage have a standard value for purposes of insurance ?

They're really a total waste of time, and something of a con. I wish I had set up a company providing indemnity insurance 20 years ago, I would now be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

I have never ever heard of someone claiming on an indemnity policy. I'm sure it has happened, once, or perhaps twice, and there will now be someone along to post that they know of such an occurrence, but my word it is a rare thing.

However, in this litigious world where nobody seems to be willing to take accountability for anything they have become a get out of jail free card to keep mortgage lenders happy, and make the solicitor feel they have covered themselves.

I can say with almost complete certainty that the garage will never need to be demolished as a result of not having planning, and so it is not worth worrying about how a lack of garage may affect the property value.
  • lincroft1710
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    They're really a total waste of time, and something of a con. I wish I had set up a company providing indemnity insurance 20 years ago, I would now be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

I have never ever heard of someone claiming on an indemnity policy. I'm sure it has happened, once, or perhaps twice, and there will now be someone along to post that they know of such an occurrence, but my word it is a rare thing.

However, in this litigious world where nobody seems to be willing to take accountability for anything they have become a get out of jail free card to keep mortgage lenders happy, and make the solicitor feel they have covered themselves.

I can say with almost complete certainty that the garage will never need to be demolished as a result of not having planning, and so it is not worth worrying about how a lack of garage may affect the property value.

I agree wholeheartedly
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surrey_EA wrote: »

From a sellers point of view they are fantastic. Don't bother getting building regs approval for anything, pay £35 for a policy to make it all go away.
  • lincroft1710
    edited 17 May 2017 at 4:02PM
    n217970 wrote: »
    From a sellers point of view they are fantastic. Don't bother getting building regs approval for anything, pay £35 for a policy to make it all go away.

Not obtaining building regs approval is more likely to result in potential buyers losing interest. At least those sensible enough to read these threads.
  • Please tell me there is a distinction between ignoring buliding regulations and crossing a grey line in permitted development.
    Going back to my original questions, I would still like to know whether an indemnity policy is for the life of the garage or just for me as a buyer ?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Going back to my original questions, I would still like to know whether an indemnity policy is for the life of the garage or just for me as a buyer ?

I am not an expert on the subject, but I understand that the policies are transferable when you come to sell. However, depending on the solicitor and exactly what is being covered, if the value of the property has increased significantly by the time you come to sell it may be the case that additional cover is required.

In my experience it's pretty rare today for a sale to go through that doesn't need an indemnity policy of one sort or another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure