MSE Poll: Should parents be allowed to take kids out of school for a holiday?

2»

Comments

• Really makes no difference, because the combined price of a non-school holiday package deal plus fine is cheaper than the school-holiday package deal. Makes no sense still to not take children out of school for days per year.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sng165 wrote: »
    why not give children(and teachers) less, but a fixed number of, days per year to use throughout the year.
    Used sensibly :
    This would bring them in line with most workforces.
    It would allow parents & children flexibility.
    It would stop the banking up of prices by travel companies.

You haven't really thought that through have you?
  • silvasands
    silvasands Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 12 April 2017 at 5:55PM
    I am in contact with numerous of my old college friends, all of whom are teachers/ex teachers. We discussed this topic and were unanimous that children would actually benefit from holidays of around a week `s duration, with their parents, more so than the week spent in school.
    I still teach and I used to work for The Youth Service. I undertook a survey of what teenagers wanted. The consensus was that what they actually valued was TIME spent with their parents...from a game of footie in the park with dad to a family holiday.
    Parents who are working, often bung their offspring a tenner. The kids liked this but still, TIME won .
    Parents are often stressed, what could be better than quality family time where the whole family are on holiday?
    The judges aren`t living in the real world. I teach at a secure unit for young offenders and welfare children. Parents need to spend as much time with their kids as possible. If the family can afford a holiday...take the kids away. One week of grace should be no problem .As old teachers we reckon young teachers are probably too frightened of their standing as teachers to actually stand up and say what they really think. We oldies are considering a petition if stupidity persists.Holidays...great things for families!
    Also...sporting trips/visits and school trips abroad...where do they stand? We regard them as being educational .
  • I think two weeks out of school is way too much, but I do think one week should be fine, at the school's discretion - especially at the end of the summer term when primary schools, at least, seem to do very little actual teaching. Or through most of year 6, actually, when there was equally little teaching since all the time was spent on practice SATs tests, repeating the same things over and over again.

I also think the idea of each school having a week (not two) each for pupils to go on holiday is a great idea - as long as they would co-ordinate with other schools in the area so siblings/parents who are teachers would have the same week!
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • suroben
    suroben Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why do people not think before making stupid comments? Why do people still think holiday prices are inflated in school holidays just for companies to profit instead of considering supply and demand? Why do they assume that only the UK school holidays count? How do people think it is possible for every parent to take their holiday during school holidays? What about the people who work in the holiday industry, should they never ever take their children on holiday?

Small companies have to spread holidays over the whole year, not just school holidays. When I was a child factory fortnight meant the country virtually shut down for the last week in July, first week in August but that would never happen now. My children would only have had a holiday about twice because my husband worked with a group of fathers but only one could be on holiday at a time. We used common sense and didn't take our children away at or near to exam time, why can't parents do the same now without the nanny state interfering?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    suroben wrote: »
    We used common sense and didn't take our children away at or near to exam time, why can't parents do the same now without the nanny state interfering?

Because the government now has to legislate for the lowest common denominator of intelligence, i.e. those parents who don't realise that taking your child out for a holiday during exam season might just affect their exam results ...

To MSE I say - not another thread, not another debate on this. We've had active threads on this topic in both DT and Marriage/Families. We cannot reach agreement on the forum, did we really need another platform for those with strong opinions to argue? It's a non-topic, the courts have made judgement.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • fabforty
    fabforty Posts: 809 Forumite
    My sons school (year 1) does not fine parents for term time holidays, but they did issue a notice advising parents that teachers would no longer be doing 'catch-up' with children once they returned.
    Apparently teachers were often required to sit with children after school or in break times to go through work that they had missed, or devote one-to-one class time instead of teaching the whole class, or spend time preparing work in advance for the children to take with them. If work has already been prepared, they are welcome to take it with them but ultimately it is the parents responsibility to ensure that their child catches up (or not as the case may be).

If they are helping other children (e.g. if a child has been ill), they are welcome to join in, but apart from that, it's the parents responsibility. It hasn't gone down well with some parents, but most do support it.
  • drmouse
    drmouse Posts: 9 Forumite
    The option I would like us not on the poll: basically, I think there should be flexibility.

Family events (weddings, funerals etc) should be automatically allowed in almost all circumstances with evidence. Primary school should be very flexible unless a child is falling a long way behind. Secondary should be treated on a case by case basis: if a child is doing well, has good attendance and behaviour, and the holiday doesn't interfere with important events, allow them. Possibly make the child take homework with them, and fine the parent if it is not completed to a satisfactory standard upon return.

If the child is lagging behind, has lots of absences, is not well behaved, or has important exams coming up, don't allow it. They can't afford the time off and need to be in school.
  • 9411john
    9411john Posts: 20 Forumite
    If these so called 'experts' say it is damaging to take children out of school, why is it not damaging when teachers go on strike or take one of the seemingly ever increasing 'inset' days. Why not an even playing field and make it illegal for teachers to go on strike? After all, these also penalised parents who have to either take of day off work or find someone to care for offspring. As for 'Inset' days; what is all that about. For years we never had them, had better teachers and a far better education system!
  • Vickimichelle
    Vickimichelle Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    My son has non verbal autism & gets really upset in crowded places when people are too close to him so we have no alternative than to go during term time. Luckily his school are really understanding although it is a sen school so not sure if that makes a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure