Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Centipede100
Centipede100 Posts: 107 Forumite
edited 4 July 2014 at 8:44AM in Flight delay compensation
MSE Official Insert:

This discussion thread is linked to from our Flight Delays Compensation guide. Please read that for full help.

Comments

• It sticks in my throat a bit that because I was travelling with American Airlines when the ash cloud fiasco hit, I'm unable to get any compensation despite being a UK citizen flying from and to a UK airport!

My flight was delayed for 9 days, so not only did I have to find and pay for my own accommodation and food but I also lost another 5 days of my holiday entitlement through work because I couldn't get back!

Why doesn't compensation extend to ALL EU citizens regardless of the airline used, the tickets were after all purchased in the UK.

Do you know if I'm able to claim anything back from the credit card I used to buy the tickets on?
  • I would like to claim for a Continental flight to NY from London that was delayed in 2009 for 5.5 hours. The airline claimed a part had to be taken from Gatwick to Heathrow to fix the PA system. But we found out later the braking system was faulty!

Should I claim by email or post? There is only a standard complaints form on the website so to send documents I will have to post to their head office in Houston.
  • I'm claiming for a flight last year with United, have written to customer services in Chicago. Will give it a couple of weeks then email my complaint as well.
  • Cat_3
    Cat_3 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have sent off a claim letter for a flight with Air Transat from Gatwick to Toronto in July 2011 which was delayed by more than 4 hours. It's been more than four weeks now and I haven't had a reply at all - can someone advise me on best next step to take? Thank you.
  • jsmac
    jsmac Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My partner and I were delayed for 3.5 hours on a Delta Airlines flight from London Heathrow to Boston. In the UK KLM deals with Delta Airlines' customer service so I send my request for compensation to them.

Initially, they rejected our claim but after I pointed out the European Union in Tui & others v CAA case they agreed to award each of us €600. However, literally less than an hour later they rescinded their offer by stating that the delay was due to "extraordinary circumstances". The reason that they gave was that the crew hadn't had their required number of hours of rest because there was a power failure at the hotel. Can this be considered extraordinary circumstances?

The CAA has tried to contact KLM but KLM has simply stated that they are referring the case onto Delta who have so far refused to respond to the CAA. What other options do we have?

Many thanks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Claim is against the airline so all communication should be to Delta. Have a look at the FAQs and prepare to issue LBA
  • UK_AEH
    UK_AEH Posts: 39 Forumite
    I have tried to claim from US AIrways for a flight that was cancelled in June '12 (got on plane, then told to get off after 3 hours waiting), rescheduled flight was 24 hours later, this was Manchester to Philidelphia.
    I twice emailed there customer services team, they denied the validity of the claim and offered a $600 voucher, then the second time a $800 voucher (to be used within a year - no good to us).
    The problem was a faulty fuel gauge apparently.
    I have now written to the CAA (yesterday), so I'll have to wait and see what they will come back with.
    I'm more than prepared to take it to the small claims court.
  • Scamp183 wrote: »
    It sticks in my throat a bit that because I was travelling with American Airlines when the ash cloud fiasco hit, I'm unable to get any compensation despite being a UK citizen flying from and to a UK airport!

My flight was delayed for 9 days, so not only did I have to find and pay for my own accommodation and food but I also lost another 5 days of my holiday entitlement through work because I couldn't get back!

Why doesn't compensation extend to ALL EU citizens regardless of the airline used, the tickets were after all purchased in the UK.

Do you know if I'm able to claim anything back from the credit card I used to buy the tickets on?

If you were leaving a UK airport on American Airlines, then they would at least be subject to European Law in relation to any valid claims for delay or cancellation on that leg of the journey ... LINK.
  • UK_AEH wrote: »
    I have tried to claim from US AIrways for a flight that was cancelled in June '12 (got on plane, then told to get off after 3 hours waiting), rescheduled flight was 24 hours later, this was Manchester to Philidelphia.
    I twice emailed there customer services team, they denied the validity of the claim and offered a $600 voucher, then the second time a $800 voucher (to be used within a year - no good to us).
    The problem was a faulty fuel gauge apparently.
    I have now written to the CAA (yesterday), so I'll have to wait and see what they will come back with.
    I'm more than prepared to take it to the small claims court.

They would be subject to European law leaving Europe, the same as any European airline ... LINK.
  • jsmac wrote: »
    My partner and I were delayed for 3.5 hours on a Delta Airlines flight from London Heathrow to Boston. In the UK KLM deals with Delta Airlines' customer service so I send my request for compensation to them.

Initially, they rejected our claim but after I pointed out the European Union in Tui & others v CAA case they agreed to award each of us €600. However, literally less than an hour later they rescinded their offer by stating that the delay was due to "extraordinary circumstances". The reason that they gave was that the crew hadn't had their required number of hours of rest because there was a power failure at the hotel. Can this be considered extraordinary circumstances?

The CAA has tried to contact KLM but KLM has simply stated that they are referring the case onto Delta who have so far refused to respond to the CAA. What other options do we have?

Many thanks.

Sue Delta at any place of business they have in England. If their crew went out of hours, they should have called out a backup crew.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback