Spill the beans... Trade secrets: supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies!

Comments

• ScratchandSniff-->[X]
    ScratchandSniff-->[X] Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2012 at 9:51PM
    twickmag wrote: »
    but there is a regular price reducer follower, an Eastern European lady, I think, who snatches everything out of his/her hand before it can be put back on a shelf/in a trolley, and stacks it in her own trolley.

Whilst she is concentrating on grabbing the goodies, get everyone else sneaking things into her trolley. Stuff like condoms, pregnancy testing kits, haemorrhoid cream all work well for this. Works better with a trolley than a basket as they can't feeling you adding things, there's more stuff to hide things under, and because they have to put their trolley behind them to get to the goodies. You can even turn it into a competition with everyone else to see who can hide the most or silliest things - sort of a supermarket "Bucking Bronco".

Also works for those people that are too busy having a very loud or pretentious mobile phone conversation whilst obscuring the shelves/counter.

Finally, you can use a variation of this if there's screeching kids running around all over the place. Just discretely persuade them it would be fun to do it to their own parent, and they'll end up taking the blame for you.
  • Another one if they are using their trolley to prevent others getting getting to the goodies it to wait for them to look the next item being reduced and sneak the previous one out of their trolley. Works better is there's a bunch of you as it redistributes the stash less obviously.
  • Hi,

My local Tesco staff are a bit cheeky. I saw one member of staff putting through loads of reduced stuff for someone else in the store who had just finished their shift.

There was about 3 bags worth! Stuff like finest lasagne reduced to 39p, bread, cakes, veg a lot.

This was a good few hours before the shop was to shut as well. Bit cheeky, no?
  • Waitrose now price match all their branded goods with Tesco so are you saying low income families can't shop at Tesco either?
  • julietiff
    julietiff Posts: 747 Forumite
    Hi,

My local Tesco staff are a bit cheeky. I saw one member of staff putting through loads of reduced stuff for someone else in the store who had just finished their shift.

There was about 3 bags worth! Stuff like finest lasagne reduced to 39p, bread, cakes, veg a lot.

This was a good few hours before the shop was to shut as well. Bit cheeky, no?

Maybe same as some of the Sainsburys stores, they have reduced food in the back for staff only
  • mummyofasiya
    mummyofasiya Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 14 June 2012 at 9:39AM
    twickmag wrote: »
    Yes, my local Waitrose has massive end of the day reductions, but there is a regular price reducer follower, an Eastern European lady, I think, who snatches everything out of his/her hand before it can be put back on a shelf/in a trolley, and stacks it in her own trolley - I've sen it full to the brim at the checkout. It's far too much for her own consumption, and my guess is she sells it on to friends/family.
    Frustrating for regular shoppers.

You wouldn't happen to be from Huntingdon would you?!! Lol!!
    I used to work there many years ago when I was in sixth form and there was someone similar to who you are describing who used to come in and grab every bargain she could whilst not giving anyone else the chance to get even one redduced item.
    Although at the time I did think "gosh... tad greedy huh?"

One day I had the pleassure of serving her at the till. Here I made a little conversation with her and cheekily (but subtly) asked her about all the reduced items and this was when I discovered that she actually worked in a shelter home helping those who had no homes and that was where the food went to. I felt so ashamed of myself for assuming the worst of her!!
    It explained why she came in every day to get so much shopping lol! Although, I do understand that it would be fair to give some other shoppers the chance to grab a bargain yes, but I think in this scenario, I would rather give that opportunity to her to help her get more for those that are homeless and starving. :D
  • deep_in
    deep_in Posts: 247 Forumite
    Amymajik wrote: »
    All in all a very good suggestion however I do have to remind you of the law and that flashing your lights is confusing and irresponsible as a road user. I saw someone do that once, it was misinterpreted as a 'go ahead' and the driver of a car drove straight into a motorbike. Several people lost lives. You would fail a driving test for flashing your lights. I agree we all need to make the world a great place to live and work in but lets not do it this way as it is not safe.

How does that relate to someone saying they buy cheap fruit and veg from their local supermarket that doesn't make and sense
    water £82.00 Totally Paid June 2012, vanquis £290.00 Totally Paid July 2012, e.on £300.00 £189.00 Paid Sep 2012, Scott and co. £989 £918 Paid Oct 2012, s/p £400.00 £295 Dec 2012, o/d £2,000.00 Dec 2012, rent £1,600.00 Jan 2013, mum £1,500.00 £1,400.00 Feb 2013
    £6,402
    Second purse #64 £2.30/£220
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Read post 50 and all will be explained ;)
  • katherine31
    katherine31 Posts: 14 Forumite
    paadzer wrote: »
    Due to working full-time and not driving I am limited as to where and when I go to supermarkets for reductions but my local co-op is great. They reduce items around 5pm (I got some steaks recently for 25p and large packets of mince for 25p). They reduce the fresh bread around 8pm you can get packs of four rolls or mini baguettes for 10p :) I often stock up on bread for sandwiches and put it in the freezer :)
    I agree. I am currently working but was out out of work for a number of years. Even working I cannot afford a car. As I am not within walking distance of a supermarket it is actually cheaper for me to pay a delivery charge than a bus fare. So consequently when I was not working I was unable to take advantage of any supermarket late sell offs.
  • Excalibur wrote: »
    Since my local Tesco's was revamped about 3 months ago, whenever they do final reductions, there are all these greedy families and smaller variations of the same stacking up their trolleys before the Tesco employee can physically wheel the reduced item trolley to the chilled section. The lack of manners is appalling and customers are so impolite to the staff, let alone each other, hence why I often now avoid this section because it's not worth it. I don't think the excuse is just that the economy is poor; it is the mentality of fellow customers. :(
    i went to Morrisions in Bolton @ 5pm on my way home from work after a long mad day , only to be met by 50-60 asians buying cans of tomatoes , chick peas and kidney beans not by the tin oh no by the case load all because they are on offer and a member of staff had called them to say the delivery had arrived, went to get some salmon culd not get near as they were reducing the fish my son got smacked in the face by an asain because he was in their way (10 yr old with learning difficulties he wnated to see the full fish on their counter) the poor lady who was reducing the fish was totaly scared looked lie a frightned rabbit caught in the head lights of a car .all i can say dont go shopping after hard day at work especialy when chick peas are on offer :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback