Staying in London - Advice

Options
Whalie
Whalie Posts: 209 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi I am fortunate to have tickets to the World Athletics championships In August. The session I am going to ends at 9:30pm which would not give me much time to get back to central London for a train home so I have decided to stay the night in London. Of course all the hotels in my price range are booked for Stratford but I'm okay about travelling to a hotel outside of the area. This is where I need help. What areas would be easy to travel from Stratford that would not be too far to travel back into central London the next day?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you say which mainline station you'd be travellling from, that would probably help people make suggestions, because that's one of the key points.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Whalie
    Options
    I will eventually want to get back to Paddington but at least spend some of the next day taking in a gallery or museum.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What date exactly
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whalie wrote: »
    I will eventually want to get back to Paddington but at least spend some of the next day taking in a gallery or museum.
    Well in that case, I wouldn't really worry too much about where you end up, simply because getting to Paddington may be time-consuming, but isn't going to be difficult.

You need to allow time for getting out of the stadium with everyone else, but I'd start by looking at a train and tube map and seeing what lines radiate from convenient stations. Decide how far out you're prepared to go and in which direction(s).

OR, check eg Travelodge and Premier Inn prices, find a good price and see how hard it is to get there.

I know there's a whole host of hotels in Docklands / around Canary Wharf, and I think the transport links are good there, but no idea what prices are like. If they're too high, look further out along those lines.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Whalie
    Options
    Thank you very much Savvy-Sue. Don't really know London that well hence wanting some advice. I will take a look at the Docklands area. Would be prepared to pay around the £100 mark for hotel twin room as would be sharing costs with a friend.
  • MONEYTREE_2
    MONEYTREE_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I stayed at the Aloft for £90 twin room and it was fabulous! Swimming pool etc.
  • marti_0083
    Options
    The easiest would be if you stay in Stratford or Plaistow. Have you tried to book on Expedia? If you book via TopCashback site you can count on a high cashback, alternatively check airbnb :-) Enjoy yr time in Lnd
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure