A couple of Tax questions?

Im selling some things to a company in the U.S soon, I pay tax of 40% due to my salary in the day job. Is it possible to have the money paid to my wife? As she is a stay at home mum that isn't earning, meaning we wouldn't need to pay any tax?
Is this legit?

Also, i assume any tax i needed to pay would be to HMRC and not anything to the U.S?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Why would selling something necessarily be liable to income tax? You'd need to say more.

US income tax liability: it's a brave man who'd opine on that.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It sounds more like Capital Gains Tax (CGT) and not income tax (IT) to me?. I'm assuming the selling of these items is not part of any business / job (your just selling some items you own privately).

You only pay CGT on gains above £11,300

so for example, you sell something that originally cost you £11,000 for £15,000 there is NO tax to pay as the gain is £4,000 and this is below your allowance of £11,300

You could sell some of the things and if you think you will go over the £11,300 then your wife could sell some of the other things as she too has a CGT allowance of £11,300 aswell (though do bear in mind it would be a criminal offence for her to sell something that is not legally hers).

But I know your cleaver so you would have already gifted items to your wife in previous tax years and now legally the items are hers to sell.

As KIDMUGSY has said, you need to give a lot more information.
  • Thanks for the responses, sorry for the late rely. I'm pretty sure it's not capital gains tax, although my fault for being so vague.
    I'm creating some screen prints that I'm selling through a gallery in the US, maybe 100 or so prints from my original design.
    I guess this counts as an income, so I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a company name in my wife's name, I invoice her for the use of the image meaning I only pay tax on that. (Minimal charge say £250) then the potential £10k or so earnings from the sale of the prints can be paid to her (her company) and that's below what she would need to pay tax on for the year meaning I don't loose 40% of my profit from the sale of the prints.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Talk to your accountant.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • I don't have one, thats why i posted here, looks like i may need to get one as this is a mind field for me.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    taxnewbee wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, sorry for the late rely. I'm pretty sure it's not capital gains tax, although my fault for being so vague.
    I'm creating some screen prints that I'm selling through a gallery in the US, maybe 100 or so prints from my original design.
    I guess this counts as an income, so I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a company name in my wife's name, I invoice her for the use of the image meaning I only pay tax on that. (Minimal charge say £250) then the potential £10k or so earnings from the sale of the prints can be paid to her (her company) and that's below what she would need to pay tax on for the year meaning I don't loose 40% of my profit from the sale of the prints.

It may be worth tax planning if this is a regular thing but if one off you'd probably just be best to pay the tax.

The route you describe is artificial so may be challenged by HMRC, but even if not you're forgetting the corporate tax if in a company of 20% and the cost of extracting it if she's already used her dividend allowance for example. Then there is the set up costs and time in filing various returns etc. So you may now be saving c.£1k at best with a lot of hassle and potential risk.
  • pjcox2005 wrote: »
    It may be worth tax planning if this is a regular thing but if one off you'd probably just be best to pay the tax.

The route you describe is artificial so may be challenged by HMRC, but even if not you're forgetting the corporate tax if in a company of 20% and the cost of extracting it if she's already used her dividend allowance for example. Then there is the set up costs and time in filing various returns etc. So you may now be saving c.£1k at best with a lot of hassle and potential risk.

OP can quite legally grant his wife a licence to use his art work for free (nil cost nil gain on spouse transfers), as such he will be merely printing his wife's IP and copyright art for her.

Main gain would be the wife's.

OP It might be worth speaking to an accountant to get the paperwork drawn up correctly, and make sure your wife is the named party on the invoice to the US gallery, and the cash goes to her account.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OP can quite legally grant his wife a licence to use his art work for free (nil cost nil gain on spouse transfers), as such he will be merely printing his wife's IP and copyright art for her.

Main gain would be the wife's.

OP It might be worth speaking to an accountant to get the paperwork drawn up correctly, and make sure your wife is the named party on the invoice to the US gallery, and the cash goes to her account.

That screams income settlement to me - you're essentially gifting a right to income to a spouse, which makes the gift transparent for income tax purposes so will be taxed on the OP anyway.

Also you need to understand your US tax implications - it's unlikely it'll be taxable there as your actions won't be enough to create a US permanent establishment, but someone should give you a proper opinion on that.
  • Thank you all for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport