Installing a smart-thermostat when you don't have a thermostat

Andrew_Ryan_89
Andrew_Ryan_89 Posts: 530 Forumite
edited 8 November 2017 at 11:55PM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
Hi all and excuse my nativity in this field. I have a relatively old boiler (probably more than 10 years old) and how I control my heating is by manually turn on the boiler and turning knobs on the radiators. I want to install a smart thermostat not in the same room as the boiler and wanted to know if that can be done relatively simply as I currently don't have a thermostat.

Edit - Thanks guys for the responses. One other questions I forgot to ask. The boiler has dial for the radiator, I am assuming this controls the heat? As mentioned, I don't have a thermostat and control the heat of the radiators by twisting nobs on the radiator. With a smart thermostat in this situation, will it still control the temperature in the house?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    We had hive installed to work with a boiler that had no thermostat. Worked fine.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Easy enough, you'll have your timer replaced with a wireless receiver and then a smart thermostat will communicate with it wirelessly.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Are you sure there is no controller/timer/thermostat?

should relatively simple once you have the details about what you do have.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    >I control my heating is by manually turn on the boiler and turning knobs on the radiators<

Doesn't sound like it'll work, you need thermostatic valves and a basic controller with a "call for heat input" to the boiler to use a smart unit
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    You don't need a smart thermostat, all they really do is put a stop to stupid people who don't know how a thermostat works.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/10/nation-buffoons-thermostats-central-heating

My parents don't know how to work a thermostat and I have to keep reminding the GF that turning it up to 30 degrees does not make the house warm up faster.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Strider590 wrote: »
    You don't need a smart thermostat, all they really do is put a stop to stupid people who don't know how a thermostat works.
    The OP doesn't have any sort of control for the boiler apart from manually turning it on and off so would not be subject to the thermostat gremlin (and I wholly sympathise with those who have to live with thermostat twiddlers!!)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    The OP doesn't have any sort of control for the boiler apart from manually turning it on and off so would not be subject to the thermostat gremlin (and I wholly sympathise with those who have to live with thermostat twiddlers!!)

Well what i'm saying is that a simple £30 wireless thermostat in series with the switch that turns it on, would solve the issue.

And yes, if it has a switch to turn on, then it can be thermostat controlled, because that's all a thermostat is, an automatic switch.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Wether you have a timer now or it's wired permanently straight to the boiler, a new timer/ thermostat can be fitted very easily.

Smart thermostats aren't for everyone, I personally have hive and use it remotely a lot as we are frequently staying out unexpectedly and can turn the heating off which saves us from wasting energy when we're not there.
  • Are you sure there is no controller/timer/thermostat?

There is a timer on the boiler and a dial with a flame.

Thank you to for all the other responses too.
  • Are you sure there is no controller/timer/thermostat?

Strider590 wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/10/nation-buffoons-thermostats-central-heating

My parents don't know how to work a thermostat and I have to keep reminding the GF that turning it up to 30 degrees does not make the house warm up faster.

I skimmed through the article and not getting what people find difficult about using a thermostat...

Can someone elaborate?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport