Roundabout Near Miss

Options
124»

Comments

• joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lack of indication on a round a bout annoys me and people using the 2nd lane to push in on a single lane exit. Examples and why I have my dash cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqB3JZIZEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC23b2vgN7U

Lights are out so it becomes a normal roundabout. This person appears to have forgotten :)
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Re Post # 32, if you were to start your own thread on this Joey, called 'Not using roundabouts correctly' I think I would like to make some comments . . .

. . . for starters . . .

. . . if you end up on the inside of a lorry hang back!

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Teapot55 wrote: »
    Re Post # 32, if you were to start your own thread on this Joey, called 'Not using roundabouts correctly' I think I would like to make some comments . . .

. . . for starters . . .

. . . if you end up on the inside of a lorry hang back!

Indeed. See post #7 above.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »

The HGV entered the roundabout before/at the same time as the car, and signalled their intentions in plenty of time whilst being ahead of the car. Nothing really for the car driver to complain about (unless signs or road markings went against what the HGV driver did).
    joeypesci wrote: »

Driver entering the roundabout was on autopilot ... and was completely in the wrong.
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    The HGV entered the roundabout before/at the same time as the car, and signalled their intentions in plenty of time whilst being ahead of the car. Nothing really for the car driver to complain about (unless signs or road markings went against what the HGV driver did).

The HGV was in the right hand lane which is ONLY for the 3rd, 4th or 5th exit or if going round the roundabout again. It is NOT to be used for going straight across especially when the straight across exit is one lane only. So the HGV was in the wrong lane. Plenty of HGVs pull up to that roundabout knowing they are going straight ahead, yet are able to be in the correct left hand lane. This driver just wanted to jump the queue that always builds up in the left lane.

The car driver has plenty to complain about.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    If the shape of the roundabout is accurately portrayed on the road sign then there's very little space to change lanes between the second and third exits so you'd have to start changing lanes as you approached the second exit, thus possibly being hampered by anyone exiting at the second exit. This being the case my instinct would be to enter the roundabout from the left hand lane, leaving the right hand one for traffic heading for Whitburn. This is a common sense decision but I could defend it to roundabout purists by claiming that the third exiit is actually straight on for which convention says use left hand lane.

But you'd be in the wrong lane - the general rule you refer to only applies if there are no road markings/signs to the contrary. The sign indicating livingston has the corresponding road number of A7066 (ie its a back route to livingston through bathgate). The third exit is road A801 and (according to the signs) should be the right lane only. In other words on that roundabout, the left lane is for the first 2 exits, the right lane is for the other 2.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But you'd be in the wrong lane - the general rule you refer to only applies if there are no road markings/signs to the contrary. The sign indicating livingston has the corresponding road number of A7066 (ie its a back route to livingston through bathgate). The third exit is road A801 and (according to the signs) should be the right lane only. In other words on that roundabout, the left lane is for the first 2 exits, the right lane is for the other 2.
    The second sign is obscured by a lorry if I'm looking at the correct picture so I bow to local knowledge. Actually that obscuring of a sign by traffic (which applies also to markings on the tarmac) is a good example of why "strangers" find themselves in the wrong lane whilst the local commuters fume, slam on their brakes and write to this forum. They should get out of their comfort zones and around the country (and even foreign countries) a bit more to gain some navigational experience in different environments.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep. And that was hardly unpredictable, was it?

It was, yes, and a defensive driver would be doing what you advise, and DoaM was most of the way there - he WAS able to avoid the accident, remember. It sort of sounds like some posters are blaming DoaM MORE for not predicting the bad driving, rather than the bad driving itself.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    It was, yes, and a defensive driver would be doing what you advise, and DoaM was most of the way there - he WAS able to avoid the accident, remember. It sort of sounds like some posters are blaming DoaM MORE for not predicting the bad driving, rather than the bad driving itself.
    Not at all - it's simply that DoaM's road positioning is the only thing here that's within his control...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure