RHI & MCS certification

Options
Hi,

I'm planning on having a biomass boiler installed. I know it needs to be MCS certified to apply for the RHI but can it be installed and then checked by someone who is MCS certified for sign off and cert issue?

Or does it need to be installed by the MCS completely.

I'm planning on having the rads and thermal store installed by the plumber. With the Biomass it will depend on the above answer.

Anyone with experience or knowledge on this give some advice?

Thanks,

Richard

Comments

• thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes assuming you want to get RHI payments, the OFGEM website says:

The heating system must be Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certified. All heating systems must have an MCS certificate and be installed by an MCS certified installer. For local accredited installers, see the MCS website. -at

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/domestic-renewable-heat-incentive/homeowners/joining-requirements-homeowners-domestic-renewable-heat-incentive

The boiler also needs to be on the DECC Product eligibility list.

I don't think pipe and radiators would need to be done by an MCS installer, however I understand that if they are done as part of the boiler installation, the lower 5% of VAT would be payable.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Don't let joe-blogs plumber fit a renewables technology, it is not worth trying to do it on the cheap.

MCS installers charge more for a reason, they know what they are doing when it comes to renewables. They are fitting them day in day out, if some one has not got experience they are 'learning on the job' which I would not want some one 'learning on the job on my house.

I would get MCS installer to fit the lot, you want it to work and you want who ever fits it to be accountable.

Also for RHI technically the MCS installer only has to fit the boiler its self, but like I said I wouldnt recommend that
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As the captain says, make sure you have a properly designed "system". Trying to do it on the cheap rarely turns out that way.

I don't know what the VAT situation is nowadays but when we had ours installed we got it all at 5% VAT because the MCS installer installed the whole system and integrated all the controls. Had our plumber done the heating part he would have had to charge us 17.5% (its now 20%) which would have added another £1200 to the cost of the job.

The other problem that you might get - we managed to nip it in the bud - is who takes responsibility if something goes wrong. One installer = one person responsible, two or more (eg. plumber, electrician, MCS installer etc) then they start arguing about demarcation.

Our warranty covered the whole installation as well, not parts of it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    matelodave's point about VAT is a good one I forgot about, if you use a MCS installer to do the lot you will only pay 5% VAT for the whole install so will/should work out cheaper.
  • RickMoney
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into the installers in more detail.

As another question, is there a requirement that the boiler needs to be new, or can a 2nd hand pellet boiler qualify for the full RHI?
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    RickMoney wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into the installers in more detail.

As another question, is there a requirement that the boiler needs to be new, or can a 2nd hand pellet boiler qualify for the full RHI?

Probably not, why would you want a second hand boiler anyway. Why would any one be selling a used biomass boiler...

The only reason I can think some one would sell a biomass boiler, is if they have broken it probably by putting in the wrong fuel.

What size boiler are you after?
  • RickMoney
    RickMoney Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The guy selling it is a dealer and it is his own. He is changing it for a larger model in the range and upgrading the tank etc. I'm not keen on it myself but I wanted to see if it was an option to still get the RHI. It would be fully serviced before I got it, if I did.

I'm looking at something around the 22kw range but size is a real constraint.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    The guy selling it is a dealer and it is his own. He is changing it for a larger model in the range and upgrading the tank etc. I'm not keen on it myself but I wanted to see if it was an option to still get the RHI. It would be fully serviced before I got it, if I did.

I'm looking at something around the 22kw range but size is a real constraint.

If size is an issue, check out the MCZ or PIAZETTA wood pellet boilers both qualify for rhi and look good so you can have them in your living room or kitchen but downside is they cannot be fed by an external hopper.

Also red do a compact range just a slim grey box which can be fed by external hopper.

These aren't the best brands on the market probably mid market but they are probably the smallest I can think of.

Also of space is limited go for direct hot water off the thermal store /buffer tank instead of a separate hot water tank.
  • RickMoney
    RickMoney Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd not seen the Piazetta brand before, the MCZ was a brand I was considering for the size.

Do the Piazetta have a good reputation/after care?

Thanks.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    I'd not seen the Piazetta brand before, the MCZ was a brand I was considering for the size.

Do the Piazetta have a good reputation/after care?

Thanks.

http://www.robeys.co.uk/

These are the uk distributers of Piazetta, they are very similar to the MCZ but they are considerably more expensive. I don't know why, but you must be paying for something...

Also don't know anything about the after care or reputation, only herd about them myself last week aswell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport