PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What else do you keep on hand?

How about some face masks and examination gloves, to help prevent you catching whatever the patient has got, while nursing him/her?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The hedgerows bordering where I work, are currently crowded with Blackberries.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    BB,

In the long run both of those will probably make it into my preps. However, from what I've read the jury is still out about how effective this is for preventing transmission, particularly as many viruses are contagious before any symptoms are present...since I'm not planning to put a mask on every time my OH comes home from school, I think I'll leave them lower down on the priority list. However, come mid November when we're probably 3-4 viruses in, I may re-think all that and wear a mask and gloves every evening!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Does it have a serial number, engraved lengthways on the barrel, and a variable-focus beam?
    :) Yes to the variable focus and no to the serial number. Holding it alongside my real Maglite, I can see that it's very very similar but just different enough to avoid litigation. But I didn't really expect to get a Maglite for 50p as most people who'd have one wouldn't flog one for pocket change.

Still, she works, and is a nice little addition to the prep pile.

FPK, staunch advice given to me by SuperGran and others of the nursing profession about avoiding infection is to be very careful of your personal habits in respect of not touching hands to mouth, nostrils, eyes and ears unless said hands are just washed. Lots of viruses are transmitted this way as they can cross the mucus membranes.

You can't do much about aerosol transmission in a normal environment (i.e. people breathing or sneezing the stuff out) but you can help yourself like this. A good habit to form is, soon as you're home get your shoes and coat off and thoroughly wash your hands before you dab around on your own surfaces with mitts which have touched goodness-knows-what on other surfaces.

I rarely get colds but I'm not exposed to kiddies. I do have to hot-desk in a call centre but we're all a bit OCD about wiping our working area down. Gawd help us if noro went thru our department, we're the only ones who understand how to work the computerised telephony system..........:eek:

I've often wondered what it would be like to live through a reprise of a 1918 type flu pandemic. About whether is would be viable to try to self-quarantine. Obviously those who lived in isolation anyway would be better off than those of us who live in high-density areas. Be interesting to think of what (if anything) TPTB have put in place.

Righty, time for a quick browsette, then must retire to the fallout shelter for another night of scheming and dreaming.

Sleep tight, lovely peeps. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BB,

In the long run both of those will probably make it into my preps. However, from what I've read the jury is still out about how effective this is for preventing transmission, particularly as many viruses are contagious before any symptoms are present...since I'm not planning to put a mask on every time my OH comes home from school, I think I'll leave them lower down on the priority list. However, come mid November when we're probably 3-4 viruses in, I may re-think all that and wear a mask and gloves every evening!

Handwashing, handwashing and more handwashing. Most virii are not very strong out of the body and don't actually live that long.
    Learning how to wash hands properly can reduce the spread of infection.

Both gloves and mask can spread infection if not used and disposed of correctly.

Good hydration, rest, mild pain medication if required generally help.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Handwashing is exactly what we do! First thing upon entering the house. That is also why I keep hand gel. Since we both rely on public transport, I like to have some for instances where I can't wash my hands. That, a good diet and plenty of sleep seems to be the best we can do.

Right, I think it is bed time for me.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Handwashing is exactly what we do! First thing upon entering the house. That is also why I keep hand gel. Since we both rely on public transport, I like to have some for instances where I can't wash my hands. That, a good diet and plenty of sleep seems to be the best we can do.

Right, I think it is bed time for me.

Yes keeping healthy is good insurance, but remember not to be too 'clean' we need some exposure to the grubby stuff so the body can develop a good immune system.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The thing is that they will be right!

I'm really enjoying the talk about allotments and growing edibles because I'm going to start gardening. Today! I've resisted it for a long time because I'm scared of beasties but I've decided it's time to conquer the creepy crawlies. I live in a flat with a very damp, slug infested, north facing garden on a hill so I've persuaded my folks to let me use their green house, cold frame and a bit of space for containers. I know this is a really small start and compared to what some of you are doing it's nothing. But starting small seems like a good idea.

Today I'm going up to clear out what's there already (old hanging baskets and the like). I'm going to investigate compost and sow some seasonally appropriate seeds (for salads). Am really terrible excited!

I found gardening gloves are great for this. I can pick up slugs and beasties with gloves on that I really can't touch with bare hands. I also find you can knock stuff off plants into a pot or tray to sort out-tbh most of the caterpillars and slugs go in a pot then chucked to the chickies here lol.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    In the light of how it helped get rid of a very long-standing bout of bronchitis I had last winter, I will also be keeping a small pot of 12+ or 15+ manuka honey - expensive but really good, in my experience. Can be used either internally or externally, and is also effective for animals.
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    been reading along but not posting as I'm usually relegated to my phone!.

Hi to all newbies, good to 'meet' you!

Had great time at Wilderness Gathering even though it did rain quite a bit:( Was very interesting and had some good demos and stalls. I did come to the conclusion that my camping stove is not going to be particularly wonderful in anything but a very temporary SHTF scenario - I got onto a 3rd can of gas and wasn't cooking a great deal. A few hot drinks and 3 meals over the weekend. I have now acquired a couple of large catering sized tin cans and intend to have a go at making rocket stoves - one for home and one for lottie. At least I can utilise scrap for fuel.

Lottie is doing well and we are having all home grown veg with most meals now. Also able to give some to DS and DD and the courgettes are being given away to random strangers :D - I've taken to putting them out on the front wall with a sign saying help yourself!

Had an upsetting episode this week as I had to have my elderly cat put to sleep:( It was very sad and I'm afraid I wasn't very dignified at the vets...But she was 19 yo so had a good old life and is now sleeping under the pear tree in my back yard near to the jasmine - which was coincidentally her name...
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family