nPower meter reading

Scout
Scout Posts: 99 Forumite
Something has just this minute dawned on me ......

Earlier today an nPower meter reader came to the door. He had an ID card on and was carrying his meter reading gadget. Both my meters are under the stairs in the hall so as I had been tidying this hell hole out, you could actually get into it although I always stand by them and watch (I can't have them nicking my crunchy nut cornflakes can I? :D) The man read the meter and left ....

All Ok, except I haven't been with nPower for a few years!! It didn't dawn on me at the time as I am looking into switching so have had all the names of the companies going round in my head. Also, I had a house full of noisy kids and couldn't hear myself think. Usually, I have had one of those generic meter reading companies come around.

So, why did nPower call? Was it just a mistake on their part, was it a potential burglar or do nPower now do meter readings for other companies?

Comments

• Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    NPower actually own a company that does do readings for themselves other companies. I think this replaces the Siemens company that used to do it. I only found out recently when a friend of my explained this to me. I forget the name of the actual company though, sure it's not called Npower.
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Just make sure that you don't find you have been switched from your current Utility Company to NPower.

You wouldn't be the first to have application forms filled out by a NPower salesman and your signature forged. - they need meter Ser No and readings.

Highly unlikely that will have happened, but a quick call to your current company to check they have the latest meter readings will make sure.
  • Scout
    Scout Posts: 99 Forumite
    I've just rung nPower and they have no idea why one of their meter readers came. At least I've not been signed up to them "inadvertantly".

When I get round to it I'll ring my current supplier and ask them, but AFAIK they always use Accuread for their meter readings.

Thanks all anyway :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport