PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Missed Out on Buying First Home - Gutted

12346»

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    johnwb89 wrote: »
    Anyway! She tells me the buyer that went over asking has pulled out, and it was to go back on the market. I had a very strange mixture of euphoria and anger. I knew she wasn't keen on me for whatever reason, but not telling me seemed very harsh. Either way, I immediately offered asking price and it was accepted the same day. VERY lucky, but it shows that you just have to keep trying and remember to CHASE THE AGENT!

Glad it worked out for you and that a chance phone call at the right time paid off, but let's face it - you were d@amned lucky to call at just the right time. A day or two later, and you might have missed out again.

I think what it really shows is that regardless of how deluded, rude, objectionable etc you think the seller, and how duplicitous, deceitful, unprofessional etc you think their agent; it pays to keep on their good side, so that if a sale does break down, the agent is calling you, rather than the other way around.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    johnwb89 wrote: »
    * UPDATE *

Just to let people know, I rang the agent on an absolute whim last week with no hope, and just asked if there had been any movements at all - I had asked her to contact me immediately if anything changed so I had less than 1% hope.

Anyway! She tells me the buyer that went over asking has pulled out, and it was to go back on the market. I had a very strange mixture of euphoria and anger. I knew she wasn't keen on me for whatever reason, but not telling me seemed very harsh. Either way, I immediately offered asking price and it was accepted the same day. VERY lucky, but it shows that you just have to keep trying and remember to CHASE THE AGENT!

Now I'm having a mini mare getting an agreement in principal aha but none the less, looks okay at the moment.
    Don't take it personally - EAs rarely remember who you are or which properties you were interested in.

Why do you need an AIP now? Just apply. Is the chain complete?

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You got luck, the estate agent gave you a big clue when he said offer £210k, he would of had the discussion with the vendor already and that was the figure they'd likely come to. I would have just agreed to £210k and said fine take it off the market. I'd base this on, I liked the house, you still got £5k off, the market is fast moving, and £5k over the 25 odd years you'll pay for it is nothing.

I've purchased 3 buy to lets, I'll always try to close the deal on the counter offer, it's always worked so far, never get involved with offers back and forth in a hot market.
  • Cirias
    Cirias Posts: 68 Forumite
    I had this experience recently with my first ever offer on a house (also first time buyer). We really wanted it, but had read everywhere to be "cheeky" so we went in £20K under the asking. This was rejected outright. So over the next few days I kept calling back and increasing our offer by a small amount each time until we were finally offering just £2K under asking. I didn't hear back for about a week. When I phoned them I was told it had been sold for asking and taken off the market.

That was a few months ago - now I am about to exchange on a house that I like even more with a bigger garden and tucked away from the main road, so it was for the best in my mind. I was a silly first time buyer trying to play the "game" that Kirsty & Phil make you believe exists.

To get the house I'm buying now I was very upfront and told the EA, look this is as much as I can afford. I went in £5K under asking, the vendor came back with a counter offer which met us in the middle and I accepted it. The good thing about this house is that the vendor isn't playing silly !!!!!!s. We've both been honest with each other and he's being thoroughly decent to us in return.
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Try selling your house and the sale falling through after months of work. That's what you would call gutting.

Dust yourself off and get back out there. There is always a better house out there somewhere
  • streetlovin
    streetlovin Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What's meant to be for you won't go by you!

I am sure there will be a better house out there. When I was looking for a property I didn't even have 10% deposit and it was incredibly sad because I kept seeing the houses I wanted but I couldn't buy. Now I end up with a really nice place with superb view. Good things are yet to come! :) Don't waste time and be gutted about it.
  • Ragtimeplayer
    Ragtimeplayer Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Almost every buyer thinks they overpaid.

Conversely, almost every seller feels they undersold!

I don't!

The one we offered on was on at £127,500, I asked her what she would accept, and she said she would like in the region of £120,000. We originally were going to offer her £122,000 so very pleased!

After the survey, which highlighted quite a few things, we then managed to get a further £3.500 off so we really feel we got value for money on our house :j:rotfl::j
    Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!
    Cigarettes NOT smoked = 240,945
    Smoke free days = 11 Years :T
    Cash saved so far = £125,45,11
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    sheff6107 wrote: »
    Try selling your house and the sale falling through after months of work. That's what you would call gutting.

Dust yourself off and get back out there. There is always a better house out there somewhere
    What's meant to be for you won't go by you!

I am sure there will be a better house out there. When I was looking for a property I didn't even have 10% deposit and it was incredibly sad because I kept seeing the houses I wanted but I couldn't buy. Now I end up with a really nice place with superb view. Good things are yet to come! :) Don't waste time and be gutted about it.

I love the way people answer without reading the whole thread, but at least these two are being very positive! :)
  • johnwb89
    johnwb89 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    It was verrrrry lucky I understand that! But I suppose it was hopefully meant to be. Not seen anything I like since so very glad it's going through.

Got rejected once via Nationwide for a mortgage though, but looks to be fine with Halifax. Warning - mortgage companies don't like gambling. I'm not sure why they are allowed to judge if you don't even go near overdraft! But whatever!

I only needed 32% of the property as a mortgage too so it wasn't a HUGE amount but oh well!
  • johnwb89
    johnwb89 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    * Mortgage News *

Just to let you know, Nationwide did indeed reject me, but Halifax gave me the £70k mortgage even with a months bank statements with a lot of gambling transactions - so just keep trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure