Fellow Worker Issue

Hello

Apologies as I am new to this forum, so hope I am posting in the correct part.

I have been working for a company for just over a year, and have recently been moved to a new role, which is basically call centre work. It's going a lot better than I thought, and my so-called "stats" are higher than most of the other workers, many of whom have been there for years. However, I am having problems with a fellow team member.

He has an annoying habit of scaring me by shouting into my ear as he walks by. Last week he also started jabbing me in the ribs with his fingers as I answered a call, which I found both annoying and upsetting.

My team leader, and many of my fellow workers, think that this person is hilarious, and seem to hang on his every word. I personally feel upset and aggrieved that they find it amusing that I am jumping out of my skin while I am trying to concentrate on my work.

I don't feel comfortable in the role, and was wondering if there are any employment laws which can help an individual in this situation.

Sorry for rambling, but hope all this makes sense.

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    h_and_p_uk wrote: »
    However, I am having problems with a fellow team member.

He has an annoying habit of scaring me by shouting into my ear as he walks by. Last week he also started jabbing me in the ribs with his fingers as I answered a call, which I found both annoying and upsetting

Next time it happens, ensure you jump in alarm at his antics while accidently ramming his nuts/ jaw with your fist.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • h_and_p_uk wrote: »
    Hello

Apologies as I am new to this forum, so hope I am posting in the correct part.

I have been working for a company for just over a year, and have recently been moved to a new role, which is basically call centre work. It's going a lot better than I thought, and my so-called "stats" are higher than most of the other workers, many of whom have been there for years. However, I am having problems with a fellow team member.

He has an annoying habit of scaring me by shouting into my ear as he walks by. Last week he also started jabbing me in the ribs with his fingers as I answered a call, which I found both annoying and upsetting.

My team leader, and many of my fellow workers, think that this person is hilarious, and seem to hang on his every word. I personally feel upset and aggrieved that they find it amusing that I am jumping out of my skin while I am trying to concentrate on my work.

I don't feel comfortable in the role, and was wondering if there are any employment laws which can help an individual in this situation.

Sorry for rambling, but hope all this makes sense.
    You need to just tell him to stop doing it in a decisive manner.

Ultimately after that you may have to decide raising a grievance against this person
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • I've tried to tell him that I don't find it funny, and asked him to stop. He retaliated by saying I was being miserable. I'm finding it a strain as I'm actually very good at the job, but this is really bringing me down.

While I understand that there would be grievance procedures, I'm interested to know if there are any employment laws concerning workplace intimidation, as I really need to know where I stand.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    tell him you don't find it funny and if he continues you will formally complain. He sounds like a right laugh - in the sense that he is a moron.
  • Strangely my closest friend in work uses that very same word to describe him :D

I'm only reluctant to go down the complaint route due to this individual's popularity with my fellow workers.
  • Then be more forceful next time he does it and if you do raise a grievance don't immediately start quoting law...it will rile HR up when not required
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    He is probably a lot less popular than you think, they are probably just grateful that he is not picking on them while he has got you in his sites.

He is a bully, that's it
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Are you male or female ?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    h_and_p_uk wrote: »
    I've tried to tell him that I don't find it funny, and asked him to stop. He retaliated by saying I was being miserable. I'm finding it a strain as I'm actually very good at the job, but this is really bringing me down.

While I understand that there would be grievance procedures, I'm interested to know if there are any employment laws concerning workplace intimidation, as I really need to know where I stand.
    Even if there are laws, and actually, the law on this is hazy, you would first have to go down a grievance route.

I would suggest that a bright big smile and telling him that you don't give a flying f**k what his opinion of you is, but he tries it again and he will be explaining assault to HR and the police. If he thought you were a serious threat to him then he'd have stopped. He didn't, so he doesn't. Until you are, you are going to continue being his target.
  • ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Are you male or female ?

I'm actually male, which probably makes me sound a bit ridiculous. However I'm just someone who wants to just get on with my job in a professional and mature manner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure