The Talk! Uni parents.

Comments

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you got a minute to consider those it didn't work out as well for . .

Oh= ok I can see you're busy and don't actually give a !!!!!!

The fact that I don't think that your son was entirely blameless (please note that I'm not saying that he was entirely culpable either) doesn't mean that I don't feel for people who didn't have the luxury of waiting until they were entirely certain that they were ready to have sex or that I'm too busy to care. It just means that I don't see the situation from your understandably subjective point of view.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Its simple sweetie - my 14 year old daughters had no business out in the world without me!!Ever!! And I trusted no man!!:D Simples!!

You realise that you're being very condescending to people by calling them lad or sweetie. It's not in the slightest bit appropriate (much like other aspects of this thread)

As for how you raise your children, it's entirely up to you. I think the fact your daughter has rushed her relationship with the 'first' guy showing an interest is not healthy.

On which note, what difference was there between her being 14 and 15? (given that's when suddenly a man was ah ok by you?)
  • OldMotherTucker
    OldMotherTucker Posts: 8,593 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 3:48PM
    Oh Guest, you genius, please tell me the optimum age for a daughter to met a good guy who wants to buy a home and start a family!! Please please tell me where you think I've gone wrong!!
  • OldMotherTucker
    OldMotherTucker Posts: 8,593 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 3:51PM
    Guest101 wrote: »
    40% off al marriages end in divorce, but there is a particular trend in those who marry young. So perhaps don't count the chickens...

You think I don't know divorce rates?!! I'm an army wife!! Divorce is NOTHING when it comes to defending and preserving our young!!
  • Guest101
    Oh Guest, you genius, please tell me the optimum age for a daughter to met a good guy who wants to buy a home and start a family!!

I would suggest thus:

At 14 she was too young to even be out in the world without you, but some miracle happened on her 15th birthday that, when a 20 year old came along, she decided (with your full consent) to hitch her wagon to his.

I'd suggest that when 40% of all marriages end in divorce, the last thing to be suggesting to your young daughter is to buy a house and start a family. Rather wait until she has fully matured and has experienced all that youth has to offer. Which will likely include many partners, many mistakes and many lessons learned.

I doubt there is an 'optimum age', but my opinion would be to wait until mid to late 20's.
  • Guest101
    You think I don't know divorce rates?!!

I think there's many things you don't know, but I'm not going to start a list. I was simply highlighting a statistic.

(there's many things I don't know too)
  • Haha - you expert you!!
    I bow down to your expertise and experience in these matters!!

Really - I do;)
  • Guest101
    Haha - you expert you!!
    I bow down to your expertise and experience in these matters!!

Really - I do;)

I have claimed to be or have neither, simply stating an opinion (which I made quite clear)

You seem to react in a manner many would regard as immature. Given you claim (and you may well) to have 3 children aged 18-25, I would consider a responsible adult to react differently (but that could be my unreasonable expectations)

If this is your genuine manner, it seems to at least explain why your children all seem to lack maturity (even based solely on what you have written)
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    I would suggest thus:

At 14 she was too young to even be out in the world without you, but some miracle happened on her 15th birthday that, when a 20 year old came along, she decided (with your full consent) to hitch her wagon to his.

I'd suggest that when 40% of all marriages end in divorce, the last thing to be suggesting to your young daughter is to buy a house and start a family. Rather wait until she has fully matured and has experienced all that youth has to offer. Which will likely include many partners, many mistakes and many lessons learned.

I doubt there is an 'optimum age', but my opinion would be to wait until mid to late 20's.

My eldest daughter was 18 before she dated a boy and my younger one is 18 and has never dated -! Late starters in comparison!!
  • Guest101
    My eldest daughter was 18 before she dated a boy and my younger one is 18 and has never dated -! Late starters in comparison!!

Can you explain the below then please:

DD1 aged 21 is engaged and has bought a house with her gorgeous BF/SO/fiance - he's 5 years older than her!! They technically starting dating before they were of that age of 'majoritory' but they didn't get caught:p:p

As that reads as them dating from when she was aged 15..... (given you already said 14 was too young and 16 would be ofcourse legally ok)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure