Hacker warning now laptop just displays Lenovo logo on start up

Hoping someone can help. I have a Lenovo b50-30 model name 80ES. My OH tried to stream something and we got a warning that we were at risk of being hacked.

Never had this before, a woman's voice came out the speakers and in a panic the OH forced a shut down by holding the off button and took out the battery.

Now when you try and turn it on you just get a Lenovo logo and nothing else happens. Anything I can do?

Comments

• Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2016 at 11:51AM
    It also could be that you have corrupted the HDD in a blind panic trying to shut it down improperly when all you received was a scareware popup from your browser.

Is this running windows 8 or have you upgraded to windows 10 ?
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • movinghelp
    movinghelp Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2016 at 12:45PM
    Yes I don't think turning it off was the best idea but sadly it's happened now. It's Windows 10.
  • Fightsback
  • movinghelp
    edited 2 October 2016 at 12:51PM
    So press shift and F8? Doesn't work. I can't get it to the login page at all.
  • Fightsback
    movinghelp wrote: »
    So press shift and F8? Doesn't work. I can't get it to the login page at all.

Read this post otherwise it will default to W8:
    Fightsback wrote: »
    Download the w10 iso and try a reset from that, choose the keep everything. However you might have HDD corruption and this might not be successful in restoring your existing files.

A comprehensive guide can be found here:

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9681/7-ways-repair-or-factory-reset-windows-10
  • On my old Lenovo, I used to restore it using the inbuilt recovery option,are you able to use that? You may lose your data and need the reinstall other programs but at least have a working machine. See here

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht036037
  • Fightsback
    On my old Lenovo, I used to restore it using the inbuilt recovery option,are you able to use that? You may lose your data and need the reinstall other programs but at least have a working machine. See here

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht036037

The machine comes with W8, they have upgraded to W10. Restoring from the recovery partition will put W8 back on, the method I linked to will do W10.

Given how W10 is now licensed and downloadable, from a personal perspective I see little incentive to even have a recovery partition wasting space, this is especially true of el cheapo 32gb SSD machines where free drive space is at a premium.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Fightsback wrote: »
    Doing an emergency shutdown shouldn't (usually) cause major disk damage...and so (from above link) "Repair your computer" is a good place to start (from install or recovery media) IE Startup Repair. But looks like the OP is out today...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • movinghelp
    edited 2 October 2016 at 9:58PM
    Thanks all, I'm in Australia hence the time difference. Really not sure if it's Windows 8 or 10. I've read the links today but don't think any will work because I can't even get to a settings screen, I've tried the Lenovo recovery by pressing F11 but literally nothing happens. It's just the Lenovo screen.
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It may be your HDD actually HAS a fault - nothing to do with the message though.

If you are seeing the logo but getting no beeps then it means the HDD has died. Or been corrupted to the extent that it cannot be read.

Maybe take the drive out and test it in a caddy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure