early 40s and not fabulous at all

Options

Comments

• plush_2
    Options
    Good morning.

Back to update my signature as I made payments to both Sainsbury's and Barclaycard today. No more credit card payments until October payday, unless I'll have a surplus by then (wishful thinking). This month I paid off £678 ( £300 Halifax overdraft + £65 Barclaycard #2 + £110 Sainsbury's + £203 Barclaycard #1). The next immediate goal is to stay in green - don't touch the overdraft and Barclaycard #2 until next payday.

Barclays is looking healthy, all my bills and regulars are there, no expected surprises. The spending account, Halifax, has £490 in it, and I'm due a £25 refund from a pair of trainers I bought two weeks ago and returned. This week's grocery shopping is already paid for, and I also bought a present for a friend. Today and tomorrow will be no shopping days.

4 weeks left until pay date, so that's £125+ each week. This should be doable, and some!
  • plush_2
    Options
    PS. My horoscope agrees with me this week :j. I love the Free Will Astrology horoscope - it's always fun - even though I don't believe in it at all ;)
    VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22): I found this advertisement for a workshop:
    "You will learn to do the INCREDIBLE! Smash bricks with your bare hands!
    Walk on fiery coals unscathed! Leap safely off a roof! No broken bones!
    No cuts! No pain! Accomplish the impossible first! Then everything else
    will be a breeze!" I bring this to your attention, Virgo, not because I think
    you should sign up for this class or anything like it. I hope you don't. In
    fact, a very different approach is preferable for you: I recommend that
    you start with safe, manageable tasks. Master the simple details and
    practical actions. Work on achieving easy, low-risk victories. In this way,
    you'll prepare yourself for more epic efforts in the future.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    All looking good there then - you've made such a great start on all this!

I bet it feels great to be in control of your money rather than feeling as though it is controlling you!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Hi well done you for tackling the debt and other things too! One thing I will add about kids costing money is that though this is true and the costs seem to get higher as they get older I actually found that as my 2 entered their teens and started their paper rounds / other little jobs it reduced some of the pressure a bit as they actually enjoyed buying some of their "extra" bits and bobs themselves... I don't mean essentials but maybe things like playstation games etc
    Anyway wishing you all the best with your progress :)
  • plush_2
    Options
    I bet it feels great to be in control of your money rather than feeling as though it is controlling you!

Thank you. I don't feel in control yet - but I really hope to get there sooner rather than later! :)
  • plush_2
    Options
    Aargh, not an NSD today. A friend asked me to go to a film festival in October and because films sell out quickly we had to buy tickets today, £14. At least it wasn't a £60 theatre ticket (I'm known to splurge on those...).

Spending Tracker is up to date, I need to review spend after one month, then every month. I'm only entering non-bills spend - basically whatever happens in my Halifax account.

In true MSE fashion, I found a 10-week free course - Tae Kwon Do self defence for women, funded by our local council. It should be fun, and it starts in October, so looking forward to that. Miraculously, it fits into my schedule - being a single mother I don't have too much free time, and my child isn't yet at the age to be left alone, especially in the evenings.

Finally, here's my to do list for the remainder of this week - just the big things really:

- attempt a 5k run
    - low carb for 3 days
    - wardrobe clear out for both of us, too much stuff that doesn't fit
    - deep cleaning and decluttering bathroom (I'd love to get a cleaner but my conscience says no)
    - find one item to donate or sell
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    All sounding good there Plush! wardrobe clearout was on my list of things to be tackled last weekend - "bag to charity shop" will be on my list for this one! :p

Well done on the free course - that sounds like a good thing to have a go at! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • plush_2
    Options
    So I've done both wardrobes in one evening. Not a deep clear out but I managed to fill 2 large bags of clothes that I donated. From the list I posted above I only have the 5K run left to do (if not raining too heavily), and the deep cleaning of the bathroom. Both for tomorrow.

The weekend looks super quiet apart from a kids b-day party. The rainy weather is depressing me, I feel lonely and fed up with being single. Nothing I can do about that, can I?
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Well done on the wardrobe clear out and getting through your list!
    Hope the weekend is going ok!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This reminds me... I need to have a clothes clear out as well as I have stuff that I'm not wearing / using that someone else might find useful.
    Will all be going to charity shop
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport