How do I get a € Euro bank account?

Comments

• iDragon
    iDragon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Just received my opening letter today, and got online banking working after a quick chat to support as I'd managed to mess up activation before! Just waiting for debit card now.
  • deedee1310
    deedee1310 Posts: 23
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Got a text about an hour go that says the following

"Please be advised that you will be able to securely transact on your new KBC Current Account in two business days."

I haven't checked the app yet to see the application progress on there but this is good.
  • deedee1310
    Forumite
    Checked the app and I when I log in, it no longer show that documents have been received and are being processed. Instead, I appear to have full access to the internet banking app.

I'm not aware of what type of account I have either, it just says current account.
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156
    Forumite
    edited 5 May 2017 at 5:58PM
    I didn't recieve my activation code for mobile/online banking so I called the international number for KBC ( +353 1 664 6100 ) and a really friendly woman help me to access online very quickly. Speaking English is a definite plus.
    deedee1310 wrote: »
    Checked the app and I when I log in, it no longer show that documents have been received and are being processed. Instead, I appear to have full access to the internet banking app.

I'm not aware of what type of account I have either, it just says current account.

It looks like you have a normal current account. If you read carefully, I said I emailed the application because you have to complete a paper application form (I just scanned it) for the basic account. Thats why my application took longer. If you open it from the website then you get a normal current account.

Online banking for me shows this:

LcgphVi.png
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • iDragon
    Yeah, you have to email in to open the fully free basic account.

I got the online/mobile banking working too after contacting support, just waiting for debit card now. pin arrived today.
  • iDragon
    edited 6 May 2017 at 10:49AM
    Card arrived, everything all setup and working including Apple Pay, which was the main reason I wanted account as moving abroad to a euro country that doesn't have it yet!
  • deedee1310
    Forumite
    I must have the standard Current account.

Account pack arrived this morning confirming sort code and account number, as well as IBAN and BIC codes. I know card is in the way as I can see last the details when I login via the website or use the "Card Services" section on the mobile app.

Kudos to KBC. I applied for an HSBC current account two months ago and have got nowhere fast, despite providing ID and already being a customer! That's for another thread though ☺️

I used the digital key of the mobile app to generate a code so that I could activate the app on my phone. You can only have it in a max of two devices, so I have it on my tablet and phone.

So thank you to the OP of this thread. As a result I'm going to close my Spanish account with La Caixa.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Needed a euro account last year. Flew to Dublin took my passport and 2 proofs of address in the UK. Having spoke to them on the phone the normal requirement for domestic accounts is 1 proof of address but overseas is 2. Spoke to someone on their phone in branch all in took 45 minutes did some sightseeing and back home the next day. Has worked fine sent statements to my home address would recommend this over any domestic euro accounts as the fees can be terrible as far as i know.

Bank of Ireland charge €5 per quarter and 10 cents per electronic transaction such as a sepa payment. Bit of a culture shock after being used to everything free here but all in all im very happy. Online banking works fine.
  • deedee1310 wrote: »
    I must have the standard Current account.

Account pack arrived this morning confirming sort code and account number, as well as IBAN and BIC codes. I know card is in the way as I can see last the details when I login via the website or use the "Card Services" section on the mobile app.

Kudos to KBC. I applied for an HSBC current account two months ago and have got nowhere fast, despite providing ID and already being a customer! That's for another thread though ☺️

I used the digital key of the mobile app to generate a code so that I could activate the app on my phone. You can only have it in a max of two devices, so I have it on my tablet and phone.

So thank you to the OP of this thread. As a result I'm going to close my Spanish account with La Caixa.

Just be aware that KBC Bank in Ireland will charge you €6.00 in maintenance fees each quarter for their standard current account...
  • iDragon
    I did it entirely by printing and filling that form, then scanning and emailing it in to account opening, never sent any physical post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure