4 Year old CCJ

Options
Hopeless_saver
Hopeless_saver Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 13 May 2017 at 5:37PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi!

I have a 4 year old CCJ for £4350 which I have paid off £5 a week since the moment I got it. However my credit score has not budged in the last two years that I have been checking it, I get the odd month where it increases a few points but nothing drastic. Will it be the full 6 years before I see any massive improvement e.g. is there an age band where it starts to be less prominent i.e. after 5 years your credit score get better?

Really hoping someone has some answers as its difficult to keep motivation and constantly worrying about it when I see no bright future for such a long time.

Comments

• bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your credit score is meaningless. Lenders look at your credit history rather than your score. The CCJ will show on your file for 6 years, and as it has not been paid it will show as 'active' rather than 'satisfied'.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why are you worried about something so meaningless and that only you can see ?

Nothing will change until the CCJ falls off your credit file after the full 6 years.

Go and live your life.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Is there no way you can find to pay it off more quickly? Evening or weekend work, getting. A better paying job, ebaying any old possession she that you don't use any more?
  • Hopeless_saver
    Options
    Is there no way you can find to pay it off more quickly? Evening or weekend work, getting. A better paying job, ebaying any old possession she that you don't use any more?

I have 5k in savings for a mortgage so far and my job isnt badly paying, I just dont want to over stretch myself and it make no different to lenders. For example, it will drop off anyway in 2 years so surely paying the 5 a week is better, whilst earning interest on an isa?
    I intend to pay this ccj debt off, its not a case of avoiding it :)

Or would you not agree?
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have 5k in savings for a mortgage so far and my job isnt badly paying, I just dont want to over stretch myself and it make no different to lenders. For example, it will drop off anyway in 2 years so surely paying the 5 a week is better, whilst earning interest on an isa?
    I intend to pay this ccj debt off, its not a case of avoiding it :)

Or would you not agree?

I don't see how taking 17 years to pay the debt off makes any sense if you can avoid to do it sooner.

The CCJ showing as satisfied will be much better on your credit history than showing it is still outstanding, surely that will be of benefit to you if you're planning on getting a mortgage?
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    When you go for a mortgage banks will ask you about outstanding debts and very probably ask to see your bank statements. Even if it drops off your credit reports it's very likely the bank will find out when you declare debts, outgoings and show bank statements. You don't have savings when you have this debt - it wipes your savings out. Pay off the debt then start saving real savings. This will guarantee the bank will not know after the six years are up
  • Hopeless_saver
    Options
    Thank you Richey_ I hadn't thought of that before. The debt needs to go, I see that now... Just going to hurt a hell of a lot seeing my little savings egg go to nothing! haha. Like a plaster though i guess.. .just rip it off!
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Genuinely wish you all the best, it's a hard slog. I got a mortgage 4 years ago with a default still showing. Just makes it more work but not impossible. Only tip I can give us to make your self in as strong and attractive as possible an just be totally honest as if they find it and you haven't told them, it makes it so much worse / harder
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure