Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Comments

• StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

Thanks for your post.

I can understand why you’d be eager to clear the debt as soon as possible with the large monthly payments. However as you’ve mentioned it would leave you in your overdraft then it’d be possibly just moving the debt from one creditor to another and not necessarily resolving the issue, especially if it would cause you to struggle with household bills and general living costs by doing this.

It’s always the best scenario where the minimum payments can be met and extra paid towards the balance to reduce the repayment time without it impacting payments to your essential living costs.

If you felt some of the refund could go towards paying a chunk off the loan but without causing you to go into your overdraft it might help alleviate the pressure and still reduce the term length without causing a further debt.

It’s worth checking the interest rate as this could help determine the best course of action. If there is no charge on your overdraft and you feel you’d be able to realistically repay it back then it could worthwhile choosing that option.

However, if you have debts other than the loan then it might be worth looking further into your options if repayments are a struggle.

For tailored debt advice, taking into account your full situation you can use our anonymous online Debt Remedy tool.

Take care,
    Rachael

I am looking for your professional advice please? I have a loan which has £878.78 outstanding. Due to illness I wasn't making full payments for some of the loan term and whilst the repayments are now up to date and I am paying extra where I can each month the loan is now over it's term. I received a refund of solicitors fees this month totalling £576.05 which was an unexpected surprise. Do I use this extra money with some overtime hours this month to pay off this loan - total due would be £1026.78 due to legal fees? This would leave me in my £200 overdraft (I'd be using every penny on bills and bare minimum) for the next couple of months and things would be tight but I would be 1 loan down and wouldn't have to pay out £300.00 each month.

Or, do I keep the £576.05 to keep me out of my constant overdraft and continue to pay the £300 loan repayment each month until it is fully paid off?

I honestly, don't know what's best to do. I am not aware of the interest rate as I type this and don't know if it is better to continue to use my overdraft and clear the loan or vice versa.

Please help I am so keen to be debt free! Thank you in advance.
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

With an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) it’s important that if you find you’re struggling with the terms, to contact the Insolvency Practitioner so you can discuss the issues you have. If you’ve missed payments and have found yourself in further debt it doesn’t sound like the IVA is working in your best interest at the moment or resolving the debt problem.

With an IVA being legally binding and without knowing more details I wouldn’t be able to advise on other solutions at this time.

I’d suggest either speaking with your Insolvency Practitioner or the Insolvency Service as they can discuss any concerns you have while you’re still in the IVA.

If down the line you decide the IVA isn’t right for you and you’re no longer in the IVA then we can offer free and impartial advice and recommendations tailored to you.

Here is a link to our homepage so you can find out more about debt solutions and what help is available for people with problem debt.

Take care,
    Rachael

Jojo1398 wrote: »
    Hi im new to all this but here we go iv been paying into a iva for 2 years now i work full time with 2 children and it's been a struggle, i have missed payments managed to get into more dept :cry::cry: i suffer from depression i do have it under control most the time but things are just getting too much..
    I dont own my own home or car would bankruptcy be the best option any advice would be so helpfull x
  • I have been on a DMP for years with my ex husband. We agreed to keep it running jointly whilst the house sold and we properly separated our finances. This took a bit longer than expected so I'm just in a position to get it reviewed and set up an individual one. However, I have moved in with my new partner and all the bills etc are in his name so I just transfer my share to him every month. I don't want him to be included on the DMP as I don't want it affecting his credit rating. Can I carry on with a DMP on these terms or do I have to share his details?
  • Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Back in the early 2000s myself and my husband got ourselves into quite a lot of debt which we were managing to pay until our circumstances changed and we suddenly couldn't afford the minimum payments. One of our debts was a personal loan with Natwest for £23,000. The account defaulted in Feb 2011 and we were issued with a CCJ in May 2011. In August 2011 we entered an IVA. Unfortunately the IVA failed long before the term was up. It officially failed in March this year but had defaulted a couple of years before. Since the IVA failed earlier this year we have not been contacted at all for the money we owe to Natwest. I have read that the CCJ is removed from your credit file after 6 years which will be May next year. What happens to the debt at that time? As I say we have had no communication with Natwest since the CCJ was issued in May 2011.
  • Hi, I hope I am posting in the right place, apologies if not. I'm hoping for some advice and peace of mind around the wording of a debt settlement letter. I have negotiated a settlement of £116 on a Barclays account of £366 which is with Moorcroft. I asked for them to put in writing that this will be a full & final settlement and that I will not be pursued for any more money on this account. They have written…

"We write to confirm we and our client are prepared to accept £116 as a partial settlement of your account. Provided that payment is made in accordance with this letter, neither we nor our client will take any further steps in relation to recovery of the remaining balance.(Any record on your credit file will be updated to reflect this)."

I am concerned that this wording still leaves me open to the remaining debt being sold to another DCA for recovery. Am I being over mistrustful here?! Or could this happen. This debt no longer appears on my credit file as the 6 year default lifted in 2015, so I am not concerned about that.
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for your post.

You wouldn’t need to include your new partner in a solution if you’re not including any of their debts or if they don’t have any debt.

All you’d need to do is work out what your financial situation is now, your income, your expenditure and your debts. So the advice is accurate and realistic for you.

Then you can look at sole options for a solution to your debts.

Thanks
    Rachael

LMC83 wrote: »
    I have been on a DMP for years with my ex husband. We agreed to keep it running jointly whilst the house sold and we properly separated our finances. This took a bit longer than expected so I'm just in a position to get it reviewed and set up an individual one. However, I have moved in with my new partner and all the bills etc are in his name so I just transfer my share to him every month. I don't want him to be included on the DMP as I don't want it affecting his credit rating. Can I carry on with a DMP on these terms or do I have to share his details?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

When a debt goes through the court and a county court judgement (CCJ) is set the creditor then has further rights of collection.

Notes on your credit file normally will come off after 6 years but it doesn’t mean the debt has been cleared. The debt total left will still be outstanding and a creditor can still take further action to reclaim the debt at any point through the court.

This means the creditor if they decide to, can ask the court to send enforcement agents to reclaim the debt, set an attachment of earnings to take a monthly regular payment from an income. If you have a mortgaged property they could also look to secure the debt as a charging order. This means if the house was sold the debt would be paid from any equity from the sale first.

To prevent any further action from the creditor once a CCJ has defaulted then the debt would need to be sent back through the court to set an affordable payment arrangement. To do this a N245 form would need to be completed and there is a court fee of £50 for this. It’s possible to apply for help with the fee.

If you follow this link you’ll find more information on CCJs and a link to the N245 paperwork to download, also how to check if you can get a fee remission.

If you’d like to look at what options you have to deal with the debt now the IVA has failed we'd be happy to help discuss the best way forward for you.

You can find our contact details here.

I Hope this helps.

Rachael

sarahb101 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Back in the early 2000s myself and my husband got ourselves into quite a lot of debt which we were managing to pay until our circumstances changed and we suddenly couldn't afford the minimum payments. One of our debts was a personal loan with Natwest for £23,000. The account defaulted in Feb 2011 and we were issued with a CCJ in May 2011. In August 2011 we entered an IVA. Unfortunately the IVA failed long before the term was up. It officially failed in March this year but had defaulted a couple of years before. Since the IVA failed earlier this year we have not been contacted at all for the money we owe to Natwest. I have read that the CCJ is removed from your credit file after 6 years which will be May next year. What happens to the debt at that time? As I say we have had no communication with Natwest since the CCJ was issued in May 2011.
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for your post.

It certainly sounds to me like the creditor has accepted the partial settlement. I’d always advise anyone looking to partially settle a debt to receive this in writing as you have.

It sounds to me that by stating ‘neither we nor our client will take any further steps in relation to recover the remaining balance’ that this matter will be settled and the account closed.

In my understanding ‘further steps ‘to recover the debt would also mean selling the debt on for someone else to collect.

It’s important to keep the letter safe so you have it to hand in case you need it in the future.
    I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Rachael

Brassduck wrote: »
    Hi, I hope I am posting in the right place, apologies if not. I'm hoping for some advice and peace of mind around the wording of a debt settlement letter. I have negotiated a settlement of £116 on a Barclays account of £366 which is with Moorcroft. I asked for them to put in writing that this will be a full & final settlement and that I will not be pursued for any more money on this account. They have written…

"We write to confirm we and our client are prepared to accept £116 as a partial settlement of your account. Provided that payment is made in accordance with this letter, neither we nor our client will take any further steps in relation to recovery of the remaining balance.(Any record on your credit file will be updated to reflect this)."

I am concerned that this wording still leaves me open to the remaining debt being sold to another DCA for recovery. Am I being over mistrustful here?! Or could this happen. This debt no longer appears on my credit file as the 6 year default lifted in 2015, so I am not concerned about that.
  • Hi

I recently posted on here and had some great advice.
    I have debt that has all become statute barred.
    The last payment I made was in 2009 through CCCS. I have not acknowledged any of the debt since I stopped paying, this was advice given to me then.

About a month ago I received a CCJ form which I responded to as advised on here.
    Today I received a response from that.

It is titled:

Notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track.

It says

Take notice that...

1. This is now a defended claim.
    The defendant has filed a defence. (a copy of which is enclosed- typed but then crossed out with pen and nothing extra in envelope)

2. It appears this case is suitable for allocation to the small claims track.

If you believe that this track is not the appropriate track for your claim, you must complete box C1 on the small claims directions questionnaire (Form N180) and explain why.

3. You ,ust by 11th November 2016 complete the small claims directions questionnaire and file it with the court office...(address) and serve copies on all other parties.

Can someone please help me with this?
    Thank you so much
  • Hi

I hope someone can give me some advice here,

After having a gorgeous little boy over 2 years ago our family finances have been tumbling down a slippery slope. Between the childcare, rent and living costs we've managed to rack up £56k in all sorts of debts from balance transfers on credit cards to 3 personal loans. We've had a few big expenses that we couldn't do anything about but we're repaying £1100 per month just on debt. After paying all the bills we're basically even, some months we're short and go into our overdraft again or we'd do another balance transfer and so on.

I've never missed a payment but it is a struggle. Can anyone advise us on how to reduce our monthly repayment so that we can just breathe a little? It does feel like you've got a anaconda wrapped around you. :-/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure