Carers etc

Options
I will start a new job Monday, 40 hours per week at £6.50/hr

I am currently receiving Carers allowance, income support and council tax reduction

At what point should I inform carers allowance of my change? Also, when will my carers allowance stop being paid from? I ask this as my first wages will be not be paid until 2 weeks today.

Comments

• newtothis999
    Options
    To avoid being overpaid I would inform them straight away. The same applies to income support.
  • kittykat17
    Options
    I started work in June after being a carer for 10 years. As soon as I knew the date I was due to start work I informed the DWP/Carers. They asked what date I would receive my first payment from the job - paid monthly - and gave me a 4 week run-on to cover until I got paid. I received the same from IS. Good luck with your job and make sure you let the DWP know asap.
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tell them as soon as possible because you'll get a £50 civil penalty if not. I rang up them to say I was doing 2 weeks' work but the form arrived once I had started working and they fined me! It was a massive hassle putting in an appeal to get it back.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    kittykat17 wrote: »
    I started work in June after being a carer for 10 years. As soon as I knew the date I was due to start work I informed the DWP/Carers. They asked what date I would receive my first payment from the job - paid monthly - and gave me a 4 week run-on to cover until I got paid. I received the same from IS. Good luck with your job and make sure you let the DWP know asap.

You are not usually paid up until the date of your first paycheque.
    Simply as that would mean by the end of the period, you'd have been paid both.
    4 week run-ons do as I understand it apply if the cared-for person dies.
    But - not if you start earning.
    In the case of the OP - you absolutely can't do >16 hours work on IS - end of.
    There is no run-on.
  • kittykat17
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    There is no run-on.

Sorry Roger, I hate to disagree with you but that is what happened to me. I had 4 weeks run-on with carers and IS. I was caring for my father only at that time and he is still very much alive!

When my mother died (February) I had either a six or eight week run on (can't remember which). Once that run on finished I was then able to claim carers for my father which then ended when I started work - with the 4 weeks run on.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    kittykat17 wrote: »
    Sorry Roger, I hate to disagree with you but that is what happened to me. I had 4 weeks run-on with carers and IS. I was caring for my father only at that time and he is still very much alive!

I'm not saying it diddn't. I'm saying that I believe this may be an error.
    If it's a widespread error, I don't know.

Consider for example someone paid after 6 months.
    If this was how it was calculated - and it was simply after your first pay - you could continue claiming CA for 6 months.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/337400/dmgch15.pdf is the relevant bit of the DWP guidance, but the relevant paragraph - 15420 - is missing.
  • kittykat17
    Options
    I'm not saying it diddn't. I'm saying that I believe this may be an error.
    If it's a widespread error, I don't know.

Consider for example someone paid after 6 months.
    If this was how it was calculated - and it was simply after your first pay - you could continue claiming CA for 6 months.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/337400/dmgch15.pdf is the relevant bit of the DWP guidance, but the relevant paragraph - 15420 - is missing.

Really? Then I'm even more grateful that I got it! I must admit I had thought I wouldn't still get Carer's or IS once I started work but was really grateful when they told me I would!

Somehow, I can't see it happening to someone that wasn't going to get paid for 6 months but who knows!

Thanks for that Roger - must admit I was surprised to have to contradict you - you're always spot on with your posts!

Best wishes.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

(Q) You are not usually paid up until the date of your first paycheque.

(Q) But - not if you start earning.
    There is no run-on.

(A) Yes you are as you are allowed to earn £102 weekly? So until your actually paid your first wage your earnings are nil so carers will still be paid

(A) As a carer you are allowed to work over the normal 16 hours weekly and remain entitled to income support and as above as your earnings are nil until paid your income support should indeed continue until your first pay day
  • mikey_bach
    mikey_bach Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options
    There is no run-on.

The renumerative work does not apply to Income Support if you are a carer, in other words just because you start work of sixteen hours or over does not mean that your I.S will close from the day you start this work.

The OP needs to ring and tell it IS and CA and tell them that she is starting work, I.S will not close untill she receives her first pay as said, this means if monthly paid then it will cease when that pay is received, or if weekly then will close then. Unless she claims WTC and this downloads onto the claim. The OP should get a four week housing benefit run on.
    CA don't give a run on for starting work, they give an eight week run on if the Carer ceases caring for other reasons ie death of the disabled person
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure