Tattoo issue at work

Comments

• halfpint79
    halfpint79 Posts: 33 Forumite
    The latest remark is that I need to wear long sleeves if I answer a knock at the door of my villa in case it's a student! Think that just about sums up lack of sense!
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When you say you are 'overseas', where exactly are you? Could cultural considerations be a factor? Remember that what is acceptable at home may not be in another country (it is rude to blow your nose in Japan, for example).

Talking of Swastikas, these are not offensive in India, where I saw them quite regularly. Twelve years of The Third Reich has changed its meaning for the majority of people, but it predates that by thousands of years and is actually a sacred symbol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    What's culturally OK here can be very different overseas. If you're in the Middle East for instance (you say it's very hot!) then whilst Dubai (for instance) tolerates a lot of decadent Western casualness in the name of money, you're against local sensibilities no matter what the tattoo is of. It makes you visible and if you're representing a school that's kind of a big deal. And some tattoos that are fairly benign to us can be inflammatory to others - I had a performer with a Star of David tattoo he didn't cover put on the next plane out.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have a separate contract with this satellite company or do your employers have a contract with them that specifies that a tattoo of an employer should be covered during working hours?

Have you discussed with your employer the fact that the satellite company has asked you to cover up?

Advice from ACAS

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4953

Having said that, you have accepted the satellite's company's demand for you to cover up so it may be a bit late to change this.

if you are on a trip with the students it may be that your hours of work are different from when at home. Did they give you a written briefing on what you are expected to be doing? Are you in a supervisory role whilst with the students?

This may seem a ridiculous idea but is there any way you could cover your tattoo when out and about - might be the simplest solution - although if it is very large may not be possible!
  • Get some make up and cover it if you need to wear short sleeves.

When people get their bodies inked does it not occur to them that some employers may take issue with it? Then again I've no idea why people choose to disfigure themselves like this in the first place so I may be a bit biassed.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • Jack1991
    Jack1991 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Get some make up and cover it if you need to wear short sleeves.

When people get their bodies inked does it not occur to them that some employers may take issue with it? Then again I've no idea why people choose to disfigure themselves like this in the first place so I may be a bit biassed.

Sounds like quite a judgemental comment, this is the 21st century and they are the norm now, its a fair request to ask for them to be covered while in work time but not outside of work hours its quite frankly ridiculous, what about if you bump into a pupil back home in the town centre or something?. I would ignore any request to cover your arms incase a student sees its a load of rubbish in your own time you can wear what you like unless you had some kind of contract signed before you went?
    I worked in a primary school for 6 months and the kids loved my tattoos.
  • Jack1991 wrote: »
    Sounds like quite a judgemental comment, this is the 21st century and they are the norm now, its a fair request to ask for them to be covered while in work time but not outside of work hours its quite frankly ridiculous, what about if you bump into a pupil back home in the town centre or something?. I would ignore any request to cover your arms incase a student sees its a load of rubbish in your own time you can wear what you like unless you had some kind of contract signed before you went?
    I worked in a primary school for 6 months and the kids loved my tattoos.

Well, ok, but lots of things are the norm now. Not all of which are good and worthy pursuits.

Getting back to the OP, clearly this particular supervisor has a bee in his bonnet about her arm tattoo, and as her superior he is in the driving seat, I'm afraid.

The best compromise is probably to cover it with make up, the way a lot of brides have to these days.

SENECA
  • halfpint79
    halfpint79 Posts: 33 Forumite
    In response to the cultural question, no that's not the issue, we are in Spain.
    My contract is solely with the college, they have their own contract with the site. I have not been given anything written about tattoos, working hours while away etc. Generally I work in the daytime but then help out some evenings too. It's all done informally.
    Having worked in education a while, colleges generally don't have any issue with tattoos. In fact I think they show the students that we are human too and if asked about it in the past I always use it as a discussion point re the need to be cautious about getting them too young etc.

Thanks for everyone's input so far btw
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think a lot depends on how you want to deal with this.
    One option is to wear make up, the other is to say to your supervisor that you are prepared to cover up the tattoo during working hours as you do when in the UK, but that it is not realistic for you to be expected to cover your arms at all times, particularly when you are off duty.

You could also ask him why, specifically, he is concerned about the tattoo.If he is worried about students seeing it then you could talk to him what you will do if they do (I suspect most won't care, but you could have a set script, even if it is just "you haven't seen it before as I cover it up at work, as not every employer sees tattoos as work-appropriate" Which is factual and fairly neutral.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • I suspect it's a case of company image rather than students minding about the tattoo. I mean, we wouldn't have minded if our teacher had a mohican or dyed her hair pink, but I expect the head teacher would have had something to say! People in a position of responsibility are expected to look presentable.

SENECA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills