IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled!

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We never recommend telephoning a PPC. If you've got it in writing from the Principal, you've got one foot over the finish line.

If you feel the need to contact PE then I'd advise doing that in writing, copying the correspondence from the Principal and asking PE to confirm. But leave it for the moment.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It would be good if you could tell us the name and email addy of that Finance Manager - he should be copied in to any complaints in future about South Mimms fake PCNs, by other newbies.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    It would be good if you could tell us the name and email addy of that Finance Manager - he should be copied in to any complaints in future about South Mimms fake PCNs, by other newbies.

I'm probably being paranoid but I'll wait until I get a confirmation from PE. I know it's unlikely to happen, but I don't want to risk annoying the guy that's cancelling the ticket by pushing out his contact details until I know I'm in the clear.

After that I'll happily post it up if the forum allows it.
  • I got a £100 PCN for being observed leaving the site. I wrote to all the stores on site to complain, and whilst most gave the line that they couldn't do anything as they don't manage the site, Staples were positive, investigated, and have now said they are going to have the ticket cancelled. Obviously I won't count my chickens before they hatch, as I haven't had a letter to the Registered Keeper sent yet, and I have my copy of standard letter ready to go if I do, but I thought it was worth telling people it can be worth contacting the stores.
  • I am grateful for the invaluable information contained within the Newbie Thread.
    Thanks to @Coupon_Mad and @Da_rule - plus others - for the information.

I received a notification by post that I had overstayed my welcome at the ASDA supermarket, one evening, in Stafford.
    Yes, I knew there was a limit, No, I didn't know that it applied after 6pm. I was clearly at fault, but also a customer.
    After reading advice contained within this forum, I approached the Customer Service Desk, said that I had been advised to request that my parking fee request (it was such a very polite letter, after all), be cancelled. I explained that I was indeed a customer and was unaware that enforcement continued after 6pm (in line with other parking restrictions in place in Stafford).
    I produced my receipt relating to the time and date of the violation which she didn't even look at.
    She made a call to "upstairs" and told me to leave the letter with her and she would see that it was cancelled.
    This is a recent event, so I will have to wait to see if they are true to their word, organised and remember to do it.
    Meanwhile, many thanks for the information on this board which gave me the confidence to challenge the "ticket" rather than just pay it.

Ali McK
  • Hi.

Just noticed my (very late) appeal to Smart Parking regarding an Asda PCN last April has been cancelled (see my thread here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67734431#post67734431

A quick recap:

In short - I parked at an Asda car park back in April, and overstayed my free welcome. I moved house shortly after this parking 'infringement', and then began to collect a delightful series of letters:

1. On 7/4/2014 - PCN from 'Smart Parking' containing time-stamped photographs of my car entering and leaving the car park, requesting payment of £40.00 within 14 days (this letter was dated exactly 7 days after the 'contravention' took place). *letter ignored*

2. On 20/5/2014 - 'Notice to Owner - Do Not Ignore' from Smart Parking telling me that the discount period has now expired, and I now owe £70. Threatens an increase of £10 if I do not pay within 14 days, plus forwarding to debt collectors. *letter ignored*

3. On 24/6/2014 - First correspondance from 'Debt Recovery Plus' now saying that I 'need to pay' £120. *letter ignored*

4. on 8/7/2014 - 'Notice of Intended Court Action' from DRP, threatening to pass my file to the creditor's solicitor if I don't pay by 22/7/2014. *letter ignored*

5. On 23/7/2014 - 'Reduced payment offer to avoid court proceedings'. DRP now offering a reduced payment of £96.00 'in order to comply with all aspects of 'pre-action protocol' '. *letter ignored*

6. Online appeal completed via Smart Parking's website containing this paragraph (in accordance with the template letter found in post #1 of the newbies parking thread):

7. After 21/8/14, received a letter from 'Zenith Collections' (who I see from the Newbie advice are actually 'Debt Recovery Plus' in a rather rubbish disguise) beginning 'Without Prejudice' and stating they are now responsible for the debt and, lovely people that they are, they will discount the debt to £80 if it's settled within 14 days of the date of the letter.

8. 21/8/2014 - 'Notice of Debt Recovery Assignment' and a reduced offer of £80 to settle.

9. 5/9/2014 - 'Notice of Intention To Commence Legal Proceedings' which 'urges' me to take advantage of the £80 discounted settement.

10. 16/2/2015 - I've since moved house (again), and just remembered about the PCN. Logged on to Smart Parking using the PCN number in order to find an email address to write to them saying that I consider the matter closed (as there was no response to my appeal online) and I see this:

The Parking Charge Notice (PCN) has been cancelled. No appeal is necessary. If you would like to contact the Parking Office regarding this Parking Charge Notice please call the office on 0845 230 3081 and select option 4.

No date saying when it was cancelled unfortunately, but cancelled it is!

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to the advice on these forums.
  • I recieved a ticket from these yesterday after staying for 3 hr 23 mins . After researching on here I went to Carpet Right with my receipt for my purchase on that day and with one phone call it is dealt with
    so Wyvern Retail Park Derby, Parking Eye, letter with fake parking fine received yesterday Carpet Right Manager dealt with it.:T
  • Appealed to POPLA has been rejected but response still not received here yet so have no idea why not.

The open air car park where I park has no signage anywhere inside the parking area itself - there is a small sign on the entrance that cannot be read unless you are stationary and stand in front of it.

Other MUCH larger signs state Permit Holder Parking Only and Parking subject to contract - which I assumed was reference to the arrangement with my employer. No mention on this sign that T & C's apply.

pass slipped off dash when exiting.

Thought that supplying photos would mean that they had no case but it would appear not. There are approximately 16 lamp posts inside this area which would be suitable for signs to be attached.

This is a permit holder parking area - pass supplied by my employer who were not informed of t & c's and so never cascaded to me. The only way I would have known about the t & c's would be if I had noticed the sign.

Read BPA guidelines which mentions signs must be positioned around the site and phoned to see what there view was - verbally told the sign at the entrance was not sufficient in its own right and no contract - however, since going back and asking for this to be confirmed they have basically declined to do so and don't know if I was informed correctly or they don't want to upset one of their bigger members (VINCI).

Can anyone comment on the above?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I can see several replies in your thread. If you have additional information or questions you are best asking in your own thread as it is likely to get ignored or lost if stuff is all over the place.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    And how is your question here in any way a successful complaint?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback