PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 16 mega index/christmas chat!!!

Comments

• Out of curiosity, are Christmas things cheaper just now (October) as opposed to later November/December?

I mean, I know the cheapest time is January but do companies push their stock early?
  • Just made my first batch of chutneys for the year. A spiced apple and cranberry one. Nice and Christmassy. I'll do another later. Got a few jars for me and a few to give away.

Testing out a fudge recipe tomorrow too. If it works out I'll make it for Christmas.

I cut my fudge into Christmassy shapes using Christmas cookie cutters such as gingerbread men, stockings, trees, stars etc, put them in cello bags, tie with ribbon and voila a cheap pressie that looks awesome
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • I cut my fudge into Christmassy shapes using Christmas cookie cutters such as gingerbread men, stockings, trees, stars etc, put them in cello bags, tie with ribbon and voila a cheap pressie that looks awesome

I would do that if I was giving it away, but if this batch and how much has been eaten is to go by I think it'll be staying in the house. Or I'll have to make a lot more. There's a few different fudges I think I'll do. Christmas, mint, dark chocolate and vanilla white chocolate. So maybe if there's enough, some mixed bags might look good.

Made some chocolate truffles in the shape or and decorated up like Christmas puds too. They worked out well. So those can go on the list to make again.

I'm going to have gained a stone before Christmas.

Making some soaps and lip balms to make little sets. Different scents but the soap and lip balms will match each other. Got to wait for my soap mould to arrive. Got it cheap from China, so it's a bit of a wait. I can get on with some crocheting in the mean time. Cat blankets for a local rescue that I do every Christmas.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • I would do that if I was giving it away, but if this batch and how much has been eaten is to go by I think it'll be staying in the house. Or I'll have to make a lot more. There's a few different fudges I think I'll do. Christmas, mint, dark chocolate and vanilla white chocolate. So maybe if there's enough, some mixed bags might look good.

Made some chocolate truffles in the shape or and decorated up like Christmas puds too. They worked out well. So those can go on the list to make again.

I'm going to have gained a stone before Christmas.

Making some soaps and lip balms to make little sets. Different scents but the soap and lip balms will match each other. Got to wait for my soap mould to arrive. Got it cheap from China, so it's a bit of a wait. I can get on with some crocheting in the mean time. Cat blankets for a local rescue that I do every Christmas.

Sorry to go off topic.

CCL - I wasn't aware you were such a fudge expert. Hate to bother you, but I don't suppose you have a recipe for a traditional fudge you could share with me please? I find mine ends up too hard and more like Scottish tablet.
  • Sorry to go off topic.

CCL - I wasn't aware you were such a fudge expert. Hate to bother you, but I don't suppose you have a recipe for a traditional fudge you could share with me please? I find mine ends up too hard and more like Scottish tablet.

Expert, I wish! I just like to eat it a lot and making it is cheaper than buying it! And with maternity leave, I have a LOT of time to make it.

This recipe is really easy and make a yummy chocolate fudge. Actually there are quite a few nice ones on the site;

https://www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/64/Easy-Chocolate-Fudge-Recipe

I've swapped out dark chocolate for white and added some vanilla extract, that works well. And also done one with mint essence where I've used half dark and half milk chocolate. But the base for them all is the condensed milk, butter and sugar one.

If it sets too hard you can add a bit of butter, heat it and melt it back down, stir it all up again and get it whisked some more and let it set again.

A good traditional one is;
    http://m.tesco.com/mt/legacy.realfood.tesco.com/recipes/classic-british-fudge.html
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Received my first Christmas card of 2016 today and a present!
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This weekend I received proof that Jesus loves me: I picked up a silicone chocolate mould tray gratis at the local church jumble sale that looks just like this:

77f4200f3a6cc6a35252e014834201b1.jpg

I shall crush up some Kendall mint cake and use it to make after dinner mints to give away at Christmas.

Great ideas about the advent calendars btw! I noticed that Poundland has them in already, different ones for girls and boys.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    This is my go to recipe for fudge.

Baileys and white chocolate

Everyone loves it and it makes pretty presents :)
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    This weekend I received proof that Jesus loves me: I picked up a silicone chocolate mould tray gratis at the local church jumble sale that looks just like this:

77f4200f3a6cc6a35252e014834201b1.jpg

I shall crush up some Kendall mint cake and use it to make after dinner mints to give away at Christmas.

Great ideas about the advent calendars btw! I noticed that Poundland has them in already, different ones for girls and boys.

That sounds delicious; will you melt more dark chocolate over them?
  • PlaysNicely
    PlaysNicely Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2016 at 8:15AM
    :wave:

Hello, I lurk a lot as I enjoy following the festivities on here. I'd love to join in a bit this year if I may?

The thing is, we're selling our house (right in town) and moving to a tiny place way out and a quick chat with buyer yesterday revealed that most preferred date is likely to be mid to end November, so I've decided that I should get presents and as many preps as possible out of the way before moving, for several reasons:

* access to shops etc whilst still at this end.
    * last time we moved / had Internet swapped that well known provider took 12 weeks to sort themselves out, so need to consider no internet shopping either. Unless with dongle of course but still limited and expensive.
    * appliances are all built in at place we're going but it's been empty for a while so have no idea how well they function, so maybe can't rely on them for edible gifts and Christmas preps.

I tried to talk to OH about this last night but he was horrified that I'd blatantly used the festive C word in a countdown and preparation-laden way and has refused to talk about it, thinks we have enough on our plate with work & the move without thinking about all this too. I can't help him to see that by starting all this now (in good old style fashion) will help to relieve things a bit (including the finances) when we get to the other end! Hmmmm.

:D However, I know you would all understand where I'm coming from ... PN x
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £ 5 / £332.05 + 365 day penny challenge - £ 18.15 / £667.95; 52 weeks challenge = £183 / £1,378;Frugal Living 2018 #42 <£11,500
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport