The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge - PART 3!!!

Comments

• Mmm a lot to think about, I'm thinking what would happen if boiler got poorly,they cost a lot of money :(
    I only work part time so bring home £700 a month, mmm I need to do as you've said Spag and work it all out :) Thanks :A
    Life's little instructions- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated..Watch a sunrise at least once a year..Strive for excellence not perfection:j
    £2 SC no.70 £140/£350
    SPC no.73 SPC9 £248 SPC10 target £250
    DFBX12 No. 069 £7719 / £7719 DEBT FREE 30/11/12
    2013 mfw No.4 MORTGAGE FREE 5/8/13
  • HelenPie
    HelenPie Posts: 502 Forumite
    This month's payments are all made - OH's overdraft is clear so we are officially interest-free all the way to DFD now. :beer: Just need to make sure OH cancels the overdraft limit so he can't go back (he could easily overspend by the £600 limit in a month and get back there :mad:)

Anyway, that makes it update time:

#077 £7,135.35/£16.660.26 42.83%

For the first time looking at that I realised the scale of what I've achieved so far - over £7,000 paid off: that's a huge amount of money :eek: :j
    :j
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 £16,660.26/£16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13! :D
  • cj75
    cj75 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Not posted for a while.

Well done to those who have paid off debts, and hugs to those who need them.

# 165 now paid £1,162.32

Most xmas pressies bought with cash so no debt added to.

Please can I ask for some advice? At present I'm paying my debts but some are not being paid at minimum level but am paying what can afford. I am wondering whether to continue as I am or contact CCCS or National Debtline to sort. Also circumstances are due to change in the next year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
    Pay off all your debts by xmas 2013 #71 - £210.84 paid (BoM - £-100/130, CC1 (L) £-1831.58/1,866.00, o/d £30 + several others) - Debts paid in full 2013 x 1 :)
    2012 paid £1,162.32 paid & 2 debts paid in full

No buying unnecessary toiletries and declutter during 2013!!!
  • HelenPie
    HelenPie Posts: 502 Forumite
    cj75 wrote: »
    Not posted for a while.

# 165 now paid £1,162.32

Please can I ask for some advice? At present I'm paying my debts but some are not being paid at minimum level but am paying what can afford. I am wondering whether to continue as I am or contact CCCS or National Debtline to sort. Also circumstances are due to change in the next year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi cj,

I've been fortunate enough that I've not had experience of this before but my instinct would be to at least getting the advice. They are there to help and should let you know the best thing to do. Not meeting your minimum payment can leave long-term dents in your credit score making it much harder for you to get a mortgage, etc. in future.

Good luck.

Helen
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 £16,660.26/£16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13! :D
  • SpagBol
    SpagBol Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 6:13PM
    HelenPie wrote: »
    This month's payments are all made - OH's overdraft is clear so we are officially interest-free all the way to DFD now. :beer: Just need to make sure OH cancels the overdraft limit so he can't go back (he could easily overspend by the £600 limit in a month and get back there :mad:)

Anyway, that makes it update time:

#077 £7,135.35/£16.660.26 42.83%

For the first time looking at that I realised the scale of what I've achieved so far - over £7,000 paid off: that's a huge amount of money :eek: :j

It is a huge amount, well done HelenPie, all downhill now if everything is 0% :j
    cj75 wrote: »
    Not posted for a while.

# 165 now paid £1,162.32

You can do an online questionnaire with CCCS, it is very good. Or you can call them. The DFW forum is brilliant too with lots of people helping. Good luck :)
    DMP started Oct '17: £79,974 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    SpagBol wrote: »
    I've never had one either! What is it for? If it is for the odd car emergency or takeaway if you get stuck late at work I would think £1k would be enough, yes. If it is for everything for example exploding boilers or covering salary in case of redundancy then a couple of months salary has been mentioned on the forums before. I intend to have a fund/account with all the car, birthday, holiday etc. money in for year but paid by monthly amount. So I would look at the SOA, add up all the incidentals and send a monthly payment. There should be enough in there to absorb an emergency if you then paid more after if that makes sense (I am notoriously poor at explaining myself in type!).

Oh goodness! It will be about £1.5k next year for us :eek: That's without the mortgage interest which is about £800pcm too :eek::eek::eek:

We have an Emergency Fund for exploding boilers and broken down jalopies etc, and also a Contingency Fund in the event that Hubby becomes employed or can't work for whatever reason. Granted there isn't much in either at the moment :o but I'm aiming for 1000.00 gbp in the Emergency Fund and 6 months of Hubby's income in the Contingency Fund as we know we can survive on Hubby's wage without taking my measly contribution into account.

More will go into each 'pot' when the debts have been dealt with, in the mean time a little bit will continue to trickle into them on a 'as and when basis'. I know they should be a priority but there's only so much we can do. :(
  • SpagBol
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    We have an Emergency Fund for exploding boilers and broken down jalopies etc, and also a Contingency Fund in the event that Hubby becomes employed or can't work for whatever reason. Granted there isn't much in either at the moment :o but I'm aiming for 1000.00 gbp in the Emergency Fund and 6 months of Hubby's income in the Contingency Fund as we know we can survive on Hubby's wage without taking my measly contribution into account.

More will go into each 'pot' when the debts have been dealt with, in the mean time a little bit will continue to trickle into them on a 'as and when basis'. I know they should be a priority but there's only so much we can do. :(

I think this sounds like a good idea...build up the £1k emergency fund then 6months in savings. Would this work for you Lemonpopsicle?

It's snowing here this morning!:j
  • SpagBol wrote: »
    I think this sounds like a good idea...build up the £1k emergency fund then 6months in savings. Would this work for you Lemonpopsicle?

It's snowing here this morning!:j

Yes, that sounds good in theory. I'm hoping to get to 1k using fleabay sales/birthday and Christmas money only. Then I was hoping to overpay the mortgage but perhaps it would be safer to get some savings just in case.
    Oooh how exciting seeing snow :j
    Life's little instructions- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated..Watch a sunrise at least once a year..Strive for excellence not perfection:j
    £2 SC no.70 £140/£350
    SPC no.73 SPC9 £248 SPC10 target £250
    DFBX12 No. 069 £7719 / £7719 DEBT FREE 30/11/12
    2013 mfw No.4 MORTGAGE FREE 5/8/13
  • SpagBol
    Yes, that sounds good in theory. I'm hoping to get to 1k using fleabay sales/birthday and Christmas money only. Then I was hoping to overpay the mortgage but perhaps it would be safer to get some savings just in case.
    Oooh how exciting seeing snow :j

I would probably overpay the mortgage actually if you have your £1k fund, then if you needed some financial relief your payments would be less or you could take a payment holiday if you needed a few months money. But then I am clearly a financial dunce so don't listen to me :rotfl::rotfl:
  • SpagBol
    Small CC tidy of £12 to give:

#084 £17,442 / £58,000 30.07%

DH's payday tomorrow :j

Actually...when is everyone getting paid this month? I get paid once on the 20th and again on the 21st (2nd job) but then it's a loooooooooooooooooooooong month...I'm really pleased DH gets paid on the 6th nowadays for this reason. Oh and then no council tax for 2 months which is like an extra payday :j I should go to 12 monthly smaller payments for CT but I love the 2 months off :rotfl::rotfl: That's almost £200 bonus for Jan and Feb!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport