Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I sometimes swing the opposite direction to where im turning, my car is 5m long, failure to do so on some particular junctions would result in clipping the kerb (on a LH turn) OR swinging into the path of an oncoming car after taking the corner. How often have you been approaching a junction when someone has cut across the middle of the road in front of you whilst making a RH turn into that road?

Taking a wide line into a corner or junction also gives the driver the best view of the road ahead and is recommended practice by IAM and ROSPA.

So here is a drivers side example, of how road users fail to see things from anothers point of view, stuck in their little bubble with no consideration for what it's like driving a large car, a truck, a van, motorbike or bicycle.

Hello strider, thank you for your contribution. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to hear from Motorist, to learn clearly a motorist view point. Relating to the original question, have you had any good or challenging experiences with cyclists while using the roads?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    jimjames wrote: »
    It seems that some drivers who are stuck in traffic have the attitude that if they're not moving then no-one else is going to either. Seems to apply regardless of whether the other party is a cyclist, motorbike or even other road users who could make progress if a junction wasn't blocked for example

I assume "they" is a similar "they" to "they never indicate and always drive over the speed limit" when referring to Audi & BMW drivers.

This is why there is so much cyclist hate, they perform a risky overtake on a cyclist, fail to judge the road ahead, get stuck in a queue 50 yards later, cyclists overtakes them and they're made to look stupid, this sends them into rage and they blame the cyclist rather than their own incompetence.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello facade, you are absolutely correct, drivers veer left or right depending on the turn made, we are taught like that during our driving lessons, and it is also in the highway code.
    I was never taught to swing wide before a junction. Its likely you were told to do that because you were clipping the kerb when turning. Is it in The Highway Code?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I sometimes swing the opposite direction to where im turning, my car is 5m long, failure to do so on some particular junctions would result in clipping the kerb (on a LH turn) OR swinging into the path of an oncoming car after taking the corner. How often have you been approaching a junction when someone has cut across the middle of the road in front of you whilst making a RH turn into that road?

Taking a wide line into a corner or junction also gives the driver the best view of the road ahead and is recommended practice by IAM and ROSPA.

For example, this lefthander is impossible without swinging right first, to the point where you have to wait for traffic from the opposite direction before turning, with some stupid moo in a Micra behind you cursing and giving obscene gestures.

So here is a drivers side example, of how road users fail to see things from anothers point of view, stuck in their little bubble with no consideration for what it's like driving a large car, a truck, a van, motorbike or bicycle.

Yup,shouldnt be standard practice. In my Audi estate,yup. Whereas the picasso party bus doesnt really need it.
    Full use of the mirrors means the manovere where required should be perfectly safe.
    Im disturbed by the idea the NS mirror is seen (no pun) as a reversing only tool.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hate cyclists in the city. They are OK (for the most part) in the countryside where I live, aside from some visibility issues. But when I go into town its insane. They race in and out of traffic, complete danger to everyone on the road. They don't indicate, they don't go in the cycle lane, they go the wrong way down one-way streets...
    Cyclists should have to pay road tax imo. And dangerous cycling should be enforced by the police just as much as dangerous driving should be.

As for what to do about them... I drive a convertible, if my roof is down I will shout at them while I drive past and tell them to stop being dangerous.
  • custardy
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Hate cyclists in the city. They are OK (for the most part) in the countryside where I live, aside from some visibility issues. But when I go into town its insane. They race in and out of traffic, complete danger to everyone on the road. They don't indicate, they don't go in the cycle lane, they go the wrong way down one-way streets...
    Cyclists should have to pay road tax imo. And dangerous cycling should be enforced by the police just as much as dangerous driving should be.

As for what to do about them... I drive a convertible, if my roof is down I will shout at them while I drive past and tell them to stop being dangerous.

Ah,a good meaty answer.
    So your list of issues with (all?) cyclists.
    What does this fabled road tax do to change that?

I see you use a black box insurer. So how long have you been driving?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LABMAN wrote: »
    They are long gone around here as red lights appear to be meaningless to them and just totally ignored. They slow, have a quick look around and ride through the red light. Why a pointless delay of five seconds for other road users?

Cars have long since given up on the "stop at amber unless it would cause an accident" - speeding up and going through as it goes red or just after is common. Just this morning I was cycling to work, 2 white vans were waiting at a pedestrian crossing red light, for whatever reason when the pedestrians had crossed they both went through the red light
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kmb500 wrote: »

Why should cyclists pay a tax that doesn't exist?

You'll find the majority of cyclists also have cars and thus pay VED (which is NOT a fund to use the road or build / repair roads). Many cars pay £0 VED and yet cause more wear and tear to the roads than bikes!

All the bad points you raise about bad cyclists are valid but doesn't mean all of them do. Just like not all BMW drivers don't know where the indicator is nor do all white van men drive while on the phone and tailgate etc
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    custardy wrote: »
    Yup,shouldnt be standard practice. In my Audi estate,yup. Whereas the picasso party bus doesnt really need it.
    Full use of the mirrors means the manovere where required should be perfectly safe.
    Im disturbed by the idea the NS mirror is seen (no pun) as a reversing only tool.

Hello Custardy, have you had any good or challenging experiences with cyclist while driving your Audi estate??
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • custardy
    Hello Custardy, have you had any good or challenging experiences with cyclist while driving your Audi estate??

Why would you feel the car I'm driving would matter? Why would it differ from when I drive the Picasso?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure