IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excel parking charge notice

Hi all, im simply a new user looking for advice from experienced people.

i've read through pages and pages and ive not come accross someone with the same issue yet so i need answers and opinions please.

To cut a long story short ive recieved a parking charge notice from excel parking, upon reading it and becoming infuriated with the extortionate rates i was asked to pay i typed a letter explaining what had happened and why i was unable to pay for the ticket on the day(machine didnt accept new £ coins). In doing so i have written it in the first person saying 'I' a few times implying i was the driver therefore i believe i have now reduced my chances of getting let off. They have declined my appeal saying the hotline ahould have been called or other parking should have been sought for. Im now stuck without a paddle and wanting to know what i do next. I regret writing the appeal without first looking into it and responding with a template document as mentioned in almost every post.

Do i simply pay the charge or do i have grounds to refuse still?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 9:00PM
    Everyone is politely asked to read the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread.

Go there now and read up on the game you are now caught up in.

Any appeal to an IPC company is futile.

So wait and see if they take legal action against you. If they do then come back for advice on defending a claim
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Djones2410 wrote: »
    Hi all, im simply a new user looking for advice from experienced people.

i've read through pages and pages and ive not come accross someone with the same issue yet so i need answers and opinions please.

To cut a long story short ive recieved a parking charge notice from excel parking, upon reading it and becoming infuriated with the extortionate rates i was asked to pay i typed a letter explaining what had happened and why i was unable to pay for the ticket on the day(machine didnt accept new £ coins). In doing so i have written it in the first person saying 'I' a few times implying i was the driver therefore i believe i have now reduced my chances of getting let off. They have declined my appeal saying the hotline ahould have been called or other parking should have been sought for. Im now stuck without a paddle and wanting to know what i do next. I regret writing the appeal without first looking into it and responding with a template document as mentioned in almost every post.

Do i simply pay the charge or do i have grounds to refuse still?

Thanks in advance

Well Excel are well known for their tricks and capers

I wonder if this is a new trick to further scam motorists
    by not updating their machines. Let's face it, most £1 coins
    are the new ones.

You need to take pictures of the signs that mention a hotline

Were you in a retail park shopping.
    If so, doubt the retailers would be happy with a so called
    parking management company who do not allow legal tender
    to be used and then tell their customers to leave the car park

Cannot remotely see a court allowing this rubbish from Excel

If they cannot accept legal tender then the machines
    should state so

Think how many people have been caught out with this wheeze

The IPC is a simple waste of time as it is a scammers paradise
    and they will no doubt reject an appeal.

So, you now wait to see if these scum do anything
    If so come back here for help

PS: First step for Excel is to use stupid rubbish debt
    collectors which you will IGNORE AND IGNORE AND IGNORE.

In your case naming the driver does not matter in a case
    where their machines do not accept legal tender and because
    of this, they punish you.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    its called "frustration of contract"

sit back through the DCA letters and come back if they issue an LBC or an MCOL within 6 years (possibly from B W LEGAL or similar solicitors)
  • Djones2410
    Djones2410 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2017 at 6:46PM
    Hi guys, thanks for the speedy and informative replies and sorry I was not able to get back to respond. I did as instructed and ignored the IAS appeal letter. Here we are a month later and I've received another letter today.

This one mentions that they are disappointed that no reply/appeal was given and that they will be pursuing further action if I continue to ignore. They quote the "parking eye ltd vs beavis 2015" case as examples of successful court action and now demand full payment of £100 by the 20th of this month.

As before, many thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your replies.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi guys, thanks for the speedy and informative replies and sorry I was not able to get back to respond. I did as instructed and ignored the IAS appeal letter. Here we are a month later and I've received another letter today.

This one mentions that they are disappointed that no reply/appeal was given and that they will be pursuing further action if I continue to ignore. They quote the "parking eye ltd vs beavis 2015" case as examples of successful court action and now demand full payment of £100 by the 20th of this month.

You say 'they'. Who is this letter from?
  • Letter is from Excel Parking
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

I think we are all disappointed with Excel still scamming
    the motorist ?

As of your ticket date both £1 coins are legal tender.
    I doubt if there is any signage to say that new £1 coins
    are not accepted.
    It's frustration of contract.

Excel should know better about Beavis ...... daft lot

Beavis was all about "unfair charges" not £1 coins.

Just wait now, you will probably get more "debt collector"
    letters which you ignore.

If Excel want to take this in front of a judge, that they don't
    take coins of the realm ..... more fool them
  • True, thanks for the reply. Ok so I'll expect more letters from Excel themselves? As you say it's nobody's fault but some signage would have been more than expected on their behalf.

I'll post back once I get the next letter (I'd imagine this will follow shortly after the 20th of this month)

Many thanks again!
  • Hi again, after some time of nothing ive now recieved a letter from Debt recovery plus ltd and as you can imagine they are chasing full payment. They mention that if no payment is recieved then they will suggest that the client take me to court.

Anyone able to advise further please?

Many thanks as always!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    see post #4 of the NEWBIES sticky thread

and IGNORE drp, they are powerless

they can only send scary looking letters with the apocalypse on them

yes EXCEL could issue an MCOL, within 6 years , that was always the case (or they could ask B W LEGAL to do it on their behalf)

you can ignore DRP/ZENITH/PCS as they are powerless debt collectors, no win , no fee

come back if you get an LBC or an MCOL within 6 years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport