MSE News: Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance

Comments

• Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    People ignore/don't read advice as they still think they can take their 300ml bottle of shampoo, 450ml can of hairspray and 1.5 litre bottle of water through security.

Evidenced by the huge bins placed at security containing stuff confiscated off of people who just cannot be bothered to follow simple instructions. We've all seen it, we've all stood there and tutted and sighed at the people who do it, but you'll never stop it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Along with just about every other airline out there.

I've known people who have put their car/house keys and travel money and documents with their name and address on into their hold baggage only for it to be lost. Why???? :huh:

I have also seen people packing their passports etc in their hold luggage - in the days of free hold luggage. Guess what is normally at the top of their luggage -- underwear! I remember going back home and the couple in front of me and my parents in the check in queue had their dirty undies on the top!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Good move. Flew back from UK this evening. I was non priority but all I had was a small backpack and a little crossover handbag. Everyone before and after me had their bags ticketed to go in the hold.

I also paid the princely sum of 2 quid to get an aisle seat. Was down the back, but one of the first off as both doors were used. Perfect set up.

I have no problem paying a fiver to keep a within limits wheelie in the cabin if I need to get away quickly, and need more than a tiny backpack.

However, what happens if the majority of people opt to pay the fiver. There will not be enough room on board for all the hand luggage once again!

Hmm.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For several years, I used to fly more or less every week for work. Switching to taking just hand luggage saved anything from 30 minutes to an hour on each leg. Added up, that is a lot of time over the course of a year.

I would much rather let someone else carry my bags - it saves me doing it.

If it took an hour (it never does) twice a week, I'd find something productive to do in that hour. For work (or even on a leisure trip), that could be on the phone or laptop. I'd just be doing it on the airport rather than in my hotel room later on.

If it worked for you then fine, but I've found most that extol the benefits of no checked bags can't really justify it.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    So, ok you have expensive items in your hand luggage. Your hand luggage is expensive, you do not want it thrown around by handlers. You also want to sit beside your beloved.

Pay a fiver each way for priority boarding, tick
    Pay two quid each way for seats together, tick.

I'd imagine that priority will be limited to 90 seats to match the spaces in the overheads. Anyone after that will have to put their hand baggage in the hold for free.

No more chancing your arm by taking the yellow sticker off at the steps and bringing it on board. No, I'm guessing that RYR will check your boarding pass as you enter the cabin, if you have priority, fine, go ahead, if you don't, well there is a hatch in the cabin and your bags will go down there or you get off the flight.

This is great news really. Pay for priority. you KNOW your bags will fit in the overhead above you, not more stress about that. I am delighted about this.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    fifeken wrote: »
    I would much rather let someone else carry my bags - it saves me doing it.

If it took an hour (it never does) twice a week, I'd find something productive to do in that hour. For work (or even on a leisure trip), that could be on the phone or laptop. I'd just be doing it on the airport rather than in my hotel room later on.

If it worked for you then fine, but I've found most that extol the benefits of no checked bags can't really justify it.
    Yeah you see loads of people on their laptops while waiting for the baggage carousel :rotfl:

No queues to checkin or bag-drop. No waiting for bags at the other end. No worries about damaged or lost bags. No problem if you need something from your bag during the flight. Do what suits you, but personally I go hand luggage only as much as possible.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yeah you see loads of people on their laptops while waiting for the baggage carousel

Exactly, you don't because you seldom have to wait long.
  • Ryanair have come up with another way of getting you to pay more for luggage.:D
    https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/09/07/ryanair-to-charge-depressed-passengers-for-emotional-baggage/
  • My laptop is larger than the new cabin baggage limits.. It's a pretty standard 15" screen laptop. I do NOT want to put that in the hold - I've seen bags hurled about and I have no idea whether they are thrown around in the hold when in-flight. And even if I did, there's the new disadvantage of waiting for the luggage from the carousel at the destination..
    -- unless, as some have mentioned, laptops are still allowed?
  • i'm amazed at the number of people who seem to support this latest scam of Ryanair to get more money. Have used Ryanair a lot over the last 10 years & always take hand luggage only of the CORRECT size. If Ryanair properly enforced their own policy of stopping oversized wheelie hand luggage and oversized other bags being taken into the cabin there would not be a problem with space for more than 90 passengers on board. I no longer have any desire to fly with Ryanair if at all possible. My latest 6 bookings have been made with Monarch and a couple with Jet2 who have easily beaten Ryanair prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure