The 4% Rule

Options

Comments

• ams25
    ams25 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Impressive numbers, did you ever pick any losers? if so could you share those too. If you didn't then annualized returns of 43% for 20 years is fantastic. I can only sign up to roughly 8.5% annualized returns over the last 30 years from my basically 60/40 index portfolio.

The next question, is why would you own index funds if you can chose active winners so readily?

Oh Yes! I have picked losers...or rather funds that did nothing special...in which case I sell them after a while. My real downfall has been picking individual stocks..some terrible errors..and would have been better off only investing in funds overall..which is what I do now.

The average performers tend not to stick in your mind so need to investigate but an example I do recall is Artemis uk special situations, which I held for a few years but sold a few years back. Looking at the charts its pretty much matched the index..so a passive would have been better or the same.

And of course if only I had invested more in those standout funds..another mistake!
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the time is ripe for an investoff.

New thread to start with a notional £100000 of investments (your actual portfolio ratios, or what is available in the UK market). based on funds available to track on trust net, with monthly updates on progress. Are you up for the challenge ams25, bostonerimus?

Thread to start 1/10/17.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 September 2017 at 3:23PM
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »

New thread to start with a notional £100000 of investments (your actual portfolio ratios, or what is available in the UK market). based on funds available to track on trust net, with monthly updates on progress. Are you up for the challenge ams25, bostonerimus?

Thread to start 1/10/17.

Sure, given a large enough sample I expect to be mid table. FYI I'm actually already on one of these on a US forum.. Most foiks are actively trading stocks....I'm in as nunnun, have 100% US equity tracker and have not traded since my initial purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26762&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1504266957
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • TBC15
    edited 4 September 2017 at 3:25PM
    Options
    I'm sure you will in your average world , but that is not what this is about.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    ams25 wrote: »
    Oh Yes! I have picked losers...or rather funds that did nothing special...in which case I sell them after a while. My real downfall has been picking individual stocks..some terrible errors..and would have been better off only investing in funds overall..which is what I do now.

The average performers tend not to stick in your mind so need to investigate but an example I do recall is Artemis uk special situations, which I held for a few years but sold a few years back. Looking at the charts its pretty much matched the index..so a passive would have been better or the same.

And of course if only I had invested more in those standout funds..another mistake!

There is a natural tendency to downplay painful events. The preponderance of posts about winning investments rather that losing ones reminds me of the town where all the children are above average.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    I'm sure you will in your average world , but that is not what this is about.

OK I'm up for it, but if I buy VLS100 and someone else buys Fundsmith Equity I would not be surprised by any result and whether either wins is a bit meaningless. I'd like to see that comparison over a number of years and of course for a number of other active funds, but what the heck, one year dueling fund portfolios. I pick 100% VWRL. Done
  • TBC15
    edited 4 September 2017 at 6:28PM
    Options
    OK I'm up for it, but if I buy VLS100 and someone else buys Fundsmith Equity I would not be surprised by any result and whether either wins is a bit meaningless. I'd like to see that comparison over a number of years and of course for a number of other active funds, but what the heck, one year dueling fund portfolios. I pick 100% VWRL. Done

Great I've hammered you for the last 8 months, however the challenge starts on the 1/10. Do feel free to pick an alternative. No slight of hand my portfolio will reflect what I actually hold.

oops whats VWRL?

The investments on trustnet must reflect your actual investments, or as near as makes no odds.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »

Some of the success rates in that link look awfully low (assuming I'm reading it right).
  • ams25
    Options

Thread to start 1/10/17.

might be a bit of fun.. I'll play....although good investments are best judged over many years so short term results are probably meaningless. But as a distraction I am game,

If we do this would suggest we cover a few sectors.. Index vs selected active managers/funds for said sectors.
  • ams25
    Options
    There is a natural tendency to downplay painful events. The preponderance of posts about winning investments rather that losing ones reminds me of the town where all the children are above average.

I have experienced many highs and lows in my 33 years of investing..and made more mistakes than I would like to admit or remember. Ironically my own active stock picking has been pretty poor (some wins, too many losses) but its the active funds picked over the last 25 years or so and mostly left to prosper that have made the money. I would tell my younger self to ignore individual stocks (except fun money) and run a mile from the AIM market :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure