PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    All I can say to that is _pale__pale__pale_

Gosh, sorry if you were having your tea when you read that :)

It's a rotten job, but somebody had to do it and The Lady Wife said it wasn't going to be her. But anyhow, word must have travelled fast on Slugbook or whatever they use to communicate, 'cos it's very rare we have any slug damage nowadays. We just scatter a few slug pellets near anything that's particularly tempting, et voila - sluglessness.

By the way, ref slug pellets, we'd been using them for years before we finally realised that less is more. Yep, it's true - a few of them do work better than a lot of them.
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Hi people, i have been missing in action for a while other than lurking.......

I have flipping slugs and snails all over this year....have just put down some sharp sand to some areas today as this is apparently meant to help ?, i also have millions of caterpillars this year, they are all over some plants, i havent ever noticed this before, and they have chewed through lots of stuff. On the one hand i dont mind if they are flutter-bys....would they be anything not wanted ? ?.

I have bees still coming out of the soffits at the back of the house...which is great, i like them. Also a wasp nest of some description under my bedroom window under some of the iron felt stuff(?)....window cleaner has told me what to get and he says he'll block it off in october for me.

I couldnt squish the slugs, i tend to chuck salt on them...(note to self to see if vinegar also kills them)....:)

....as have lots of vinegar.

Nothing else much changed here in the last year, job still on and off, so got sick of prepping for that other than financially, now prep more on a whats happening now or the next few months type of scenario outside of any work. I got bored of thinking about it and the negativity, prefer it when i can focus on what i can control.....to a degree..... :D
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Morning all.

I have just spent a few seconds amusing myself on the Daily Torygraph's website, on a quiz in the article How Middle Class Are You? It asks Y/N to 16 questions about do you own certain things and I had to answer in the negative on all 16, so am definately not middle class. I would have had a couple of those items (wood burner and Br0mpton bicycle) if I had anywhere to put them, and have been talked out of owning a spiraliser by several very definately middle-class friends who said they're a waste of space.

Then I had a brainwave and decided I should do us a quiz and here it is, straight off the tip of my tongue. Please feel free to add your own questions into it.

Are You a Prepper?

1. You know what that word means.

2. You have a BOB and it isn't some bloke.

3. You own a volcano kettle - or aspire to.

4. You know at least three ways of purifying water.

5. In the past 12 months, you have read or watched several examples of apocalyptic fiction.

6. You can name several edible weeds -and have tried eating them.

7. You have a veggie patch or allotment - or aspire to.

8. You have a woodburner - or aspire to.

9. You have camping equipment and aren't afraid to use it.

10. You know what paracord is, its breaking strength, and own some.

11. You automatically check the best-before dates on canned goods in the shop.

12. You dream about having a small-holding - or already have one.

13. You have drinking water stored at home.

14. You have several alternative methods of cooking and lighting at home.

15. You collect torches and candles.

16. You can make twine from natural products and possibly even knap flint.

17. You watch survivalist TV programmes and yell at the contestants for being useless twerps.

18. You forage and make preseves inc booze.

19. You can use forms of weaponry which have been outmoded for several centuries; bows, crossbows, swords, knives, staves etc.

??????????

:D Over to you guys - have fun.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have a way to go, GQ - I can probably only answer yes to 10 of those....

I'm not middle class either - i only have two of those things (A die son hoover and a bbq - tho i also aspire to a wood burning stove. And my bbq is a woodburning one..... does that count? or make it worse :p)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • GreyQueen
    :p Didn't even know you could get a woodburning BBQ - that's definately preptastic cubed.:rotfl:

I'm rather taken with Brompton bicycles and have seriously considered getting one if anything happened to my hand-me-down Pashley. I have a lifelong fascination with things which fold up, plus I could keep it in my flat which, as sheds at the block get broken into, would be a smart move.

I was speaking to someone at a shop which sells the Broms and they're apparently nearly £1 k.:eek:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You have manual alternatives to as many" essential" gadgets as possible (stove top kettle, mouli instead of blender, hand cranked mincer etc)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2016 at 9:09AM
    GQ - Bob isn't just some bloke :eek:

I don't think I've ever eaten any weeds, as by the time I've got my little book out to find out what it is, little dog has already piddled on it so I wouldn't have picked it anyway.

No smallholding. Fantasy v. realism :D

No paracord

No twinemaking

Christmas list has local bowmen membership on it :D

Plus.... drum roll...... I have a large button box :rotfl:
    (even though I've not had to sew a fresh button on anything in at least the last ten years!)

Daz- that was really kind of you to leave things for others.

Thriftwizard - glad your mum's o.k.

MTSTM - I love the places around Aberystwyth. You're so lucky to live near there

Just read back, sorry if I've missed anything major!
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • GreyQueen
    Doveling wrote: »
    GQ - Bob isn't just some bloke :eek:
    :D Heh! I didn't think of that! D'you think he'll ever forgive me?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I did the middle class quiz and got only one "right", and I don't even know which one it was :D Though we did used to have a Dyson, but it was one of the original ones and i became unable to use it as it was so heavy, and it needed a new clutch anyway, so we left it outside and someone helped themselves :j

And we do actually have lots of vinyl records, but atm we have nothing to play them on.
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2016 at 12:51PM
    Well i'm fine with GQ's list apart from reading apocalyptic fiction - drives me nuts! (apart from Farenheit ???) which I loved.

Other things I find useful living a preptastic low impact life are hand skills - sewing, wood working etc, and fishing skills (although that may come under small-holding). Knowledge is power!

edited to add: not sure vinyl is middle class if you still have it from back in the day?? we do, and the means to play them - youngest has adopted my collection of Beatles, Rolling Stones, irish music and heavy rock :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure