Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

Comments

• While my DD is scoring well in the PMP papers (which I appreciate are P6 revision pack) and the Transfer Test papers, she has dropped down a bit in the actual past AQE papers, which she has started. Hopefully she can 'get used' to their style. We aren't doing these at home as school is doing them. One this I am keen to know, and not sure if anyone can answer is - if a question asks something relating to the passage - ie, what nationality was the painter Picasso and the word Italian is somewhere in the passage and my DD spells it wrongly, ie Itallian, does she get the mark as the question isn't specifically about spelling but finding the info!?! Lots of mistakes like this that are doing my head in as I keep saying - check, check and check again!! I suppose if she had to find a word from the passage, ie bargain and she writes bargin she won't get the mark but then again maybe she would if she has found the right word? Hard to know - in practice I've been giving her half marks for this kind of mistake. What do you think?? Thanks
  • Hi Bambi1980 I would think they would give them the marks but just hard to know - you are better not giving her the mark but just hope in the actual exam they give it to her.
  • How is everyones kids getting on back to school? My daughter started back to tests so she is doing one on Monday and one on Friday and the papers at the moment she is doing is actual past AQE papers. This week she got 73% and 78% I just hope in next month or so she jumps to mid 80's. What prep is everyone doing at the moment with their kids?
  • Carebear82 wrote: »
    How is everyones kids getting on back to school? My daughter started back to tests so she is doing one on Monday and one on Friday and the papers at the moment she is doing is actual past AQE papers. This week she got 73% and 78% I just hope in next month or so she jumps to mid 80's. What prep is everyone doing at the moment with their kids?
    Last September my DD was only hitting the 70's and I was in a real panick after her being in 80's in June. By the 2nd week of October she climbed to the high 80's and low 90's. It is very stressful but just keep at it.
  • May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Hopefully they'll be a bit more independent then!!!
  • Whats your best tip then - she does 2 tests in school should I give her a test at weekend?
  • what score did your child end up getting then if you don't mind me asking?
    Hi Bambi1980 I would think they would give them the marks but just hard to know - you are better not giving her the mark but just hope in the actual exam they give it to her.

Am hoping so but I agree - hard to know and it worries me that some may give for it while others may not. I guess if you have looked at/are marking a number of papers at a time, you could easily get fed up....
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    May100 wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll be a bit more independent then!!!

Well, yes, but the amount of work is also greater and it's harder... kind of balances out. I don't think we got to do less with our 16yo, just because he was past the transfer test. I don't expect it's going to decrease over A levels, either. The only let up is from actually not knowing the stuff they are learning - I'll probably not be a great deal of help with Biology, for example.:)
    what score did your child end up getting then if you don't mind me asking?
    She ended up with 103. I expected her to get 110 judging by practice test scores but I think nerves got to her on the day and she messed up paper 1. I was delighted she got over 100 anyway. My best advice is to copy out the long maths questions and keep repeating them as the seem to appear in all the tests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure