Sky Package Renewal Help Request - Urgent!

Options
bazzie
bazzie Posts: 62 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 13 September 2015 at 7:25PM in TV MoneySaving
Hi All,

Our 1st year of the Sky contract is expiring soon & with massive increases in premiums. We have the Line Rental, Sky Talk Anytime UK, Family Package, BB Unlimited & a Single Multi-Room & Sky Asia Pack.

We called up to say that on the TV Side, we only want the Sky Asia Pack as the Family Package is too expensive at £36 & the rest of the packages below that, for us anyway, really offer no benefits over that we can get on Freesat or similar.

We were told that in order to get the Sky Asia Pack, we MUST also buy an additional TV Package whether we want it or not!! - how can they enforce an unwanted product on customers?

They offered us some discounts but tbh, it is still not what we want & over our desired budget. They offered us half price for the TV Packages, Internet & BB but only for 10 months - the remaining two months, they go up to full price which pretty much wipes out much of the any discount they apply especially when one considers we are being forced to buy an extra TV Package we do not want & will have to pay & waste money on.

I would like to ask you Sky dealing experts here how best to deal with this? I really do not like the idea of the 10 month offer for the reasons given & also as it would allow them to either to charge us heavily for the last two months and/or feel they will be more likely to retain us four another year at when the time comes next year.

Can I ask for them to to give a 12month or ideally, a rolling monthly contract as I think some have been able to do that - How best to get them to agree? On the other hand, should I threaten to (or actually cancel the contract) in the hope they will then send a much better offer to retain as many say they usually do?

I would be extremely grateful any & all help/guidance you can give!!

Many Thanks!
Bazzie!

PS: Our contract runs out 27th Sept but I forgot to contact them until about a week afterwards - what is the implications of this - will we get hilt by the new massive bills by being a week late in informing them?

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 September 2015 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Sky Asia is like Sky Sport and Sky Movies. These are add-ons to the main packages so you can only have them with Basic, Variety or Family.

If you cancel, you will have to pay the increased charges for services taken on days, from the last day of your minimum contract, to 30/31 (?) days from the day you cancel,in the case of tv and I believe just 14 days for phone (ie about the time needed for another company to take over) .

Be aware that cancelling your broadband/line, without having another provider take over for you, will result in losing your number and could prove expensive with cut off and reconnection fees.

As you are still in minimum term, if you renew, you will pay whatever amounts you negotiate.
  • bazzie
    edited 13 September 2015 at 9:33PM
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Sky Asia is like Sky Sport and Sky Movies. These are add-ons to the main packages so you can only have them with Basic, Variety or Family.

If you cancel, you will have to pay the increased charges for services taken on days, from the last day of your minimum contract, to 30/31 (?) days from the day you cancel,in the case of tv and I believe just 14 days for phone (ie about the time needed for another company to take over) .

Be aware that cancelling your broadband/line, without having another provider take over for you, will result in losing your number and could prove expensive with cut off and reconnection fees.

As you are still in minimum term, if you renew, you will pay whatever amounts you negotiate.

Hi,

Thanks for the input!! It sounds lime you think it might be best then just to accept whatever they offer as their "best offer" via the agents rather than cancel & wait for their best offer from the cancellation team or via letter then?

It feels like one way or the other, they have got us by the short & curlies!

What is your opinion on the 10 month offer & pitfalls of it - any way to mitigate the remaining full price 2 mths it somehow?

Can I insist on a 30 day rolling contract - I see others have managed it but unsure how they were able to do so?

I have just checked & our 12 nth contract runs out on the 27th Sept 2015 so do I still have plenty of time to cancel & still have the option finding another provider for just the telephone & BB without the costs & fees you mention?

My error I suppose was not calling them before 27th August & getting a new deal - I was late by about 10 days or so. Can they now charge me the massively increased prices for the remainder of the month/year or just for what I use till I cancel (if I do so)?

Many Thanks,
    Bazzie!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    From 27 Sept, you will be on a rolling monthly contract, albeit at the increased price, unless you agree to their offer, which will tie you in again. AFAIK, Sky will usually only offer a 'deal' if you sign up for another 12 months.

Ring again and ask to cancel - worst case is you end up with none of the extra channels until/unless you sign up again - I suspect you could get the full 12 months at the cheaper rate if you push? You could just move your broadband, unless there's limited options where you are, or Sky are so cheap that it's not worth changing suppliers? Try a broadband comparison site to check.
  • bazzie
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    From 27 Sept, you will be on a rolling monthly contract, albeit at the increased price, unless you agree to their offer, which will tie you in again. AFAIK, Sky will usually only offer a 'deal' if you sign up for another 12 months.

Ring again and ask to cancel - worst case is you end up with none of the extra channels until/unless you sign up again - I suspect you could get the full 12 months at the cheaper rate if you push? You could just move your broadband, unless there's limited options where you are, or Sky are so cheap that it's not worth changing suppliers? Try a broadband comparison site to check.

Hi,

Thanks too for your help - good to know that it automatically reverts to a rolling contract after my year expires but can one insist on a monthly rolling contract with any new deal? I ask it it might allow us to mitigate the high extra costs of a new yearly contract when the 10 month offers expire? I have read that some others have been able to get it bit not sure how!

Before, we would buy a yearly subscription for the Asia TV Package directly from Zee TV but now we have to buy it monthly & are forced to buy a another package whether we want it or not which I really do not like at all.

Their basic £20 a month package is pretty pant imho & a waste off money for us. The Family pack is not bad as it at least has some decent HD Channels but for us, it really adds to the bill big time - for us anyway!

I have read that it is quite common that once you cancel, Sky will write & offer between 60%-70% off & between £50-£100 vouchers fro many - is that true?

My sole aim just to bring the costs down & to mitigate against a TV Package we are forced to buy & offset savings against this!

What would you do in my situation?!!!

Bazzie!
  • stockton_2
    Options
    It is not possible to give a definitive answer as Sky offers seem to be on a case to case basis. They can differ according to who you speak to and the day of the week or month. You generally cannot insist on anything: it is all down to negotiation and how they perceive your requests. You can threaten to leave but Sky have been known to call people's bluff and offer nothing.

As others have suggested a contract that includes a TV deal is obviously not for you and it would seem to be best to try and find an alternative supplier for your phone and broadband.

You ask what we would do. Well, I would phone them and ask them nicely if they could offer a deal more in keeping with your needs, and on the terms you prefer. You may just get someone who is sympathetic to your case. You are making out what seems to be a very reasonable case and Sky do try to keep customers.

You could just cancel and hope that they will make a better offer but there are no guarantees going down that road and you will have to have a Plan B if they don't play ball.
  • bazzie
    Options
    stockton wrote: »
    It is not possible to give a definitive answer as Sky offers seem to be on a case to case basis. They can differ according to who you speak to and the day of the week or month. You generally cannot insist on anything: it is all down to negotiation and how they perceive your requests. You can threaten to leave but Sky have been known to call people's bluff and offer nothing.

As others have suggested a contract that includes a TV deal is obviously not for you and it would seem to be best to try and find an alternative supplier for your phone and broadband.

You ask what we would do. Well, I would phone them and ask them nicely if they could offer a deal more in keeping with your needs, and on the terms you prefer. You may just get someone who is sympathetic to your case. You are making out what seems to be a very reasonable case and Sky do try to keep customers.

You could just cancel and hope that they will make a better offer but there are no guarantees going down that road and you will have to have a Plan B if they don't play ball.

Hi,

Thanks greatly again - I have a call coming from them tomorrow afternoon & will see how it goes - will ask for a rolling contract & see what they can offer in terms of budget.

I often wonder how is that others seem to know how to deal with them & get such great deals - I am careful not be come act too demanding or rude etc but it always seems to work against me!!

Is it true that one can simply cancel & get someone in the house to sign up as a new customer?

Bazzie!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    bazzie wrote: »
    I often wonder how is that others seem to know how to deal with them & get such great deals - I am careful not be come act too demanding or rude etc but it always seems to work against me!!

For the last two years I have had a 50% discount from Sky on my TV package. Both years have been on a rolling contract so no tie in for 12 months for accepting the deal.

To get this I have simply phoned to cancel the TV part. The offers given by the cancellations department were ok but not great. Last year it was 50% off for 6 months with a new 12 months contract. This year it was 50% off for 10 months with a new 12 months contract. Both offered were politely declined. Last year I then started getting phone calls within days from the outbound retention department and eventually settled on 50% for 12 months with no renewal of contract. This year it was even easier with the 50% offer for 12 months appearing on My Sky minutes after the cancellation was put through. Again I remain on a rolling contract with no tie in. I suspect I could have refused the 50% off offer and got more by holding out longer but I was happy to accept it.

So basically the best offers come after cancelling and you may have to allow the TV to be switched off to get the offer. That is why it's easier to do it with the TV as it's very easy to just switch it back on again. Once you get an offer for the TV you could then negotiate the BB/Phone as they now realise you are serious about leaving. However have some alternative prices to quote to them from other providers as it will give you more bargaining power.
    Is it true that one can simply cancel & get someone in the house to sign up as a new customer?

Bazzie!

No it's not. The new subscriber offers are per household so if you're signing up at the same address with someone with the same surname it's going to be flagged up and most likely refused. You might get away with it with a different surname and bank account but probably not.
  • stockton_2
    Options
    Great advice from jem16. I too get Sky for half price on a rolling contract. I cancelled services because I intended to move house. However, the move did not happen and I found they were offering me a half price deal to return.

Don't "threaten" to cancel; just tell them honestly that you are strapped for cash and have to seriously consider cancelling. It is the same thing but comes over better. Then, as jem16 has said, if you do actually cancel you may find that you have a better deal on offer in your MySky.
  • bazzie
    edited 14 September 2015 at 3:28PM
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    For the last two years I have had a 50% discount from Sky on my TV package. Both years have been on a rolling contract so no tie in for 12 months for accepting the deal.

To get this I have simply phoned to cancel the TV part. The offers given by the cancellations department were ok but not great. Last year it was 50% off for 6 months with a new 12 months contract. This year it was 50% off for 10 months with a new 12 months contract. Both offered were politely declined. Last year I then started getting phone calls within days from the outbound retention department and eventually settled on 50% for 12 months with no renewal of contract. This year it was even easier with the 50% offer for 12 months appearing on My Sky minutes after the cancellation was put through. Again I remain on a rolling contract with no tie in. I suspect I could have refused the 50% off offer and got more by holding out longer but I was happy to accept it.

So basically the best offers come after cancelling and you may have to allow the TV to be switched off to get the offer. That is why it's easier to do it with the TV as it's very easy to just switch it back on again. Once you get an offer for the TV you could then negotiate the BB/Phone as they now realise you are serious about leaving. However have some alternative prices to quote to them from other providers as it will give you more bargaining power.

No it's not. The new subscriber offers are per household so if you're signing up at the same address with someone with the same surname it's going to be flagged up and most likely refused. You might get away with it with a different surname and bank account but probably not.
    stockton wrote: »
    Great advice from jem16. I too get Sky for half price on a rolling contract. I cancelled services because I intended to move house. However, the move did not happen and I found they were offering me a half price deal to return.

Don't "threaten" to cancel; just tell them honestly that you are strapped for cash and have to seriously consider cancelling. It is the same thing but comes over better. Then, as jem16 has said, if you do actually cancel you may find that you have a better deal on offer in your MySky.

Hi!

Many thanks to both of you - much to think about & very grateful - I remember day when things were so much easier when dealing with companies!

TBH, without the TV aspect of things, I assume there are plenty of good BB/Telephone deals so I will consider what Jen said about just cancelling the TV side of things. If I do, I am likely to get a letter offering much better deal afterwards or will Sky not bother as they have still retained us as customers? I can get the religious channels my elderly mum watches for free anyway (a Main issue) & my sisters will have to do without the Asia Zee TV stuff but it saves a bunch of money taking into account we have a buy a Sky TV package we do not want. They did not tell us this when we first signed up a year go!
    Really - thanks for the tips Jen!

Our contract runs out on 27th Sept 2015 so if for example we cancel (all or part of it) today, will we have to pay the full (huge!) bill they have have stated after that or just the days we were out by from not giving the 31 days notice - say only 25 days notice given?

Is say 50% off the best/standard they offer in the letters after cancellation? I ask as I have read it can vary between 50%-75% & plus vouchers up to £100?

I am wondering that if they offer say 50% off via telephone before any possible cancellation, whether it would be wise or foolish to take it or not?

Supreme Thanks!
    Bazzie!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    bazzie wrote: »
    If I do, I am likely to get a letter offering much better deal afterwards or will Sky not bother as they have still retained us as customers?

The first year I cancelled the TV part I still also had BB/Phone which I wasn't cancelling. So no it will not matter.
    Our contract runs out on 27th Sept 2015 so if for example we cancel (all or part of it) today, will we have to pay the full (huge!) bill they have have stated after that or just the days we were out by from not giving the 31 days notice - say only 25 days notice given?

Your current offer continues till the 27th September. Any increase will only apply to after that date so it would be 6 days at full price.
    Is say 50% off the best/standard they offer in the letters after cancellation? I ask as I have read it can vary between 50%-75% & plus vouchers up to £100?

It can vary. Most seem to be getting around 50%/60% plus a credit but it can equally be less. However you should aim for at least 50% off.
    I am wondering that if they offer say 50% off via telephone before any possible cancellation, whether it would be wise or foolish to take it or not?

If they offer 50% off for the full 12 months then take it if you're happy with that offer. To be honest it's unlikely as most offers from cancellations tend to be for a maximum of 10 months with a 12 months contract.

It's the outbound retentions department that has the best offers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure