Help please

I don't have the best credit rating, far from it to be honest, it's very poor. But I'm looking at ways to improve it was was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to do so?

Recently somehow got accepted for a credit card (it's 26% APR though) and a sim only contract. Will paying both of these (if I use the credit card) vastly improve my credit rating or?

Are there any other things I can do or any great companies that accept low credit users?
I've never had a CCJ or anything major just quite a few unpaid bills from when I were young and childish!

Recently got myself a decent job too, so money isn't in issue, I just REALLY want to improve my credit score!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Quimoi
    Quimoi Posts: 128 Forumite
    Many people here have been 'young and foolish' (I include myself there although I've only managed to kick the 'young' part...still pretty foolish) so don't worry too much about that - time is a great healer when it comes to credit records :)

Nothing will 'vastly' improve your credit rating overnight but if you repay any credit agreement on time each month then it will build up a positive record over time.

As I think you are aware - that credit card has quite a high rate of interest on it so only use it if you can repay it in full. Give it six months or so of positive reports for that CC and mobile and then see how you fare on the MSE eligibility checker (https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/) for a better card if you want/need it.

Getting on the electoral register is another positive sign for many lenders.

Edit: And congrats on the new job! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport