The Best Substitution Ever!

rhapsody_princess
rhapsody_princess Posts: 217 Forumite
edited 11 April 2013 at 12:12PM in Gone off!
Insert By Martin

We couldn't resist this thread. We all know mistakes can be made when it comes to online grocery shopping. Some get two whole chicken instead of chicken wings, and some don't quite get what they ordered. Yet sometimes they can be pure comedy - just read through and report your own.

The winner with out a doubt (so far) is "ordered tampons and got a Twix" (do your own jokes!)

Thanks to everyone who's reported their misgives.

Martin

Back to the Original post

Hi All.

Not sure if there is a thread similar to this but i did have a good peek about and couldn't come across anything similar.

Anyways, basically i thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the best substitution you've had from a supermarket? Since my debt free crusading days started in 2009 i have changed my ways with my weekly grocery shop. I have near enough downgraded everything on my list to the value range. Ok not everything but about 80%.

I do all my shopping online so i can keep within my v. strict budget and always accept substitutions.

I have noticed whilst having my order delivered on the cheapest rate @ £3 which is normally in the evening. The shelves must be quite bare so i recieve a fair amount of substitutes. For example (just a couple of the deals i've had):

4 x Tesco Value Baby Lotion 500ml @ 11p
Subtituted for 4 x Johnsons baby lotion 500ml @ £2.70!! :D
This has to be the best one i've ever had tbh!

4 x Tesco Value Cooking Bacon 500g @ 75p (previously £1.85)
Substituted for 4 x Tesco Value Middle Bacon @ £1.92 :)

Ok maybe the picker may feel a bit sorry for me whilst reading the amount of Tesco Value is on my list but......I'm happy with the result.

Just wondering if anyone had some good substitutes?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Asda - 2 packs of basic chicken wings - substituted with 2 whole chickens ....
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • ordered 1 duck spring roll and got
    A Whole Organic Duck!
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Ordered a bottle of lemon washing up liquid - get a bag of lemons!

Ordered a bottle of Bacardi and get Bombay Gin

Are these people that do the online shopping thick or something? If I wanted some lemon washing up liquid, and ran out, I would buy another 'flavour' by the same brand. Bacardi, depending on the offer, may leave it for another day or get the supermarket own version.
  • thatguy1
    thatguy1 Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Middy wrote: »
    Ordered a bottle of lemon washing up liquid - get a bag of lemons!

How the heck does that work? Hmmm... Think I'll do the washing up with lemon :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • A friend of mine ordered a dozen free range eggs and got a dozen Cadburys cream eggs, had to laugh at that one.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Lol - this thread has me laughing, maybe I'll start getting my shopping delivered.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mothership wrote: »
    A friend of mine ordered a dozen free range eggs and got a dozen Cadburys cream eggs, had to laugh at that one.
    PMSL :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mind you, if she got a dozen cream eggs for the price of a dozen free range eggs, she's doing alright :D
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    In a previous thread on here, someone ordered tampons and got a Twix.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Do Tesco now give you the substiution at the same price as the original item ordered? It has been a while since I used Tesco online but last time I did they charged me the full price of the substitution.
  • dealchaser wrote: »
    Do Tesco now give you the substiution at the same price as the original item ordered? It has been a while since I used Tesco online but last time I did they charged me the full price of the substitution.

Yes they do now price match the substitutions, however they seem to ignore any special offer which was on the thing you ordered when doing their calcs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure