PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

That last half inch....?

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm finding it funny that nobody likes pump-action bottles, like soap dispensers. I love them because they give a uniform quantity so that you can control how much you use. I find they save me a lot of money because I use so much less (for example, my bottle of expensive Clinique Clarifying Lotion with the dispenser top lasted 18 months. Without it, it would have lasted 10 months). All my toiletries get decanted into recycled soap dispensers: body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Sure, there is a bit that won't come out of the dispenser but then I just top them up from the next bargain bottle and shake well. I also water the conditioner down slightly and have noticed that it often thickens up a bit after a week or two (water quantity depends on the brand, as does its ability to thicken up. Tesco's Value is quite thin). And you don't have to use an entire squirt.

I also rip cotton-wool pads in half before I put toner on them, so that I get twice as many.

Also, we've got really hard water, so I mix 50:50 vinegar and washing up liquid in a soap dispenser and use that for the dishes. Two to four squirts per sink full, depending on how greasy they are. The vinegar counteracts the water hardness and stops glasses getting milky.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • A silicon spatula is greay for nutella/mayo/mustard jars ;)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Well OP you clearly are not alone. I will turn shampoo / conditioner bottes upside down and then cut them open as there is usually a good dollop lurking there for me.

I use the plastic things that OH has in his shirt collars to scrape out my Clinique Turnaround concentrate bottle- as it is so expensive anyway.

I have paid for it so why waste any ?
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm very much another use-it-all-up type!

But hadnt ever thought of adding water to the last dregs of ketchup that wont come out and adding that to shepherds pie/pasta things etc :) ta for the tip!
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • My late ma-in-law was pretty frugal as well and used to save the linings of cereal boxes and loose leaf tea boxes to drain HM chips on even when she was older and had a bit more money .She was a pretty astonishing lady who was widowed with two small boys in 1937 and had very little to live on She spent all of her OH's insurance money after he died on buying a house back home on the Isle of Wight in Northwood and I have the bill for it somewhere it was two cottages that had been knocked together and it cost her £550.00 it had half an acre of ground which she kept chickens,grew virtually everything her and the boys ate and during the war managed to aquire a pig(neighbours had a bit of the pig when killed if they had helped to feed it with anything left over)My brotther-in-law sold the house in 2003 for £250.000.and moved to Leicester.She could make a shilling streetch until it squeeked.I think its great that folk are being a lot more careful and using everything up that they can
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I use up the last dregs of everything too. All bottles are turned upside down (I have a bottle of shampoo and a toilet cleaner upside down in the bathroom at the moment), and when down to the last few drops I put some water in the bottle and give it a shake to get even more out. When finishing a bottle of washing up liquid I rinse the bottle out and wash the lid as I’m filling the bowl, as there is usually enough around the lid to wash the dishes.

When I’ve scraped jam jars as much as I can, I put some milk in the jar, put the lid on, and shake to make a cheap milkshake, something I remember my mum doing when we were kids.

OH is always putting things in the recycling which he thinks are empty, I get them out and get at least a couple more uses out of them, I even use the last dribbles of his shower gel to wash the bath. He also tries to throw out the toothpaste tube, because it’s too much effort to squeeze the tube, so I save it and while he’s using the new tube, I usually use the old one for at least a couple of weeks!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep, I'm a user upper of the dregs too, I use a rolling pin on tubes first, before resorting to the final cutting the end off.
  • I always use up the last bits as well. After all, I paid for a whole jar-- not just part of one!
  • Sue14 wrote: »
    OH is always putting things in the recycling which he thinks are empty, I get them out and get at least a couple more uses out of them, I even use the last dribbles of his shower gel to wash the bath. He also tries to throw out the toothpaste tube, because it’s too much effort to squeeze the tube, so I save it and while he’s using the new tube, I usually use the old one for at least a couple of weeks!

My DH is exactly the same - I'll find mayo jars with a few portions worth of mayo still in them just left out in the kitchen when he is done with them because 'they are empty', and if I buy new bottles of shampoo/conditioner (maybe because I know we have nearly run out, or they are on special offer) he'll stop using the old ones even if there's a good few applications left in them - I've currently got 3 different half empty shampoo bottles kicking around my bathroom - think I might decant them all in to one bottle when he's not looking :rotfl:
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • The worse bottles ever to get the last stuff out of is my face serum (Aldi's). The pump stops working near the bottom and even if I turn the bottle upside down, the stuff never moves and it's too narrow a neck to get a finger down, but too long for a cotton bud! SOOOOOOO annoying!

In fact I really don't like any pump action bottles as there is always something left at the bottom that you can never get out!
    If it's anything like the old toothpaste pump things, I used to jam a toothbrush up the bottom of it and push hard whilst holding the tube with the other hand and trying to navigate it onto a toothbrush :D

Was a bit of a palava. Perhaps you could try something similar into a an old pot of moisturiser and just keep going till it's empty and then use it from the pot for a week?

article-1270848-09663ED1000005DC-483_233x518.jpg
    This is the bottle I'm talking about, it's only about 3" high and is glass. Love the stuff inside though. Not sure what I could add to get it out - toner?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure