First-time house renovation

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    That's some list BB - you'll have biceps like Geoff Capes (actually a distant relative of mine by marriage) and no doubt builder's bum to go with it by the time you've finished!

In reply to andrew-b (and I forgive you your curiosity :)) It's a very long and complicated story. Basically, I was a divorcee with my own property when I married a widower and moved into his house. I subsequently sold my house and put the money away. Then, over time, I found myself looking longingly at the price of new motorcycles (I'm a geriatric biker!) or how much motorhome I could afford and realised that if I wasn't careful, it would be too easy to fritter the money away.

At the same time, we realised that as we get older, it will become harder to maintain my husband's property, which is an acre in extent and constant hard work. There was also a potentially difficult situation looming with stepchildren and inheritance and I decided that I could afford to buy a property in my own right and maintain my independence in the future.

I started househunting and found a small, quiet cul-de-sac, closer to town and a very nice area. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the prices of the already improved properties there without real struggle. Eventually, this bungalow turned up on the market when the elderly owner died. It had been untouched since 1960 and in over 30 years, the old lady hadn't spent a penny on it. The estate agent's details said "in need of modernisation" when it would have been truer to say "well.. the walls and roof are sound"! However, it was within my price range and had huge scope to improve. It had space at the side to add a family/living room and a garage. It had enough ground to keep my gardening side interested but not so large as to be a problem later.

I also had just enough capital to have a builder do the important things and we knew that a great deal of it we could do ourselves, thus keeping costs right down. So far, we have virtually gutted the inside, including old carpet that had been down so long it was practically welded to the floor and had to be prised off with a garden hoe - yuck!

It was only when the building regs man pointed out that we could just as easily go upwards as extend that we realised that for similar amounts of money we could still have the space we wanted without compromising the property nor running into planning permission problems. It is also my view that we will have increased our market since by adding two more rooms in the loft, we make what is essentially a small property into one suitable for family use. Many of the residents in the street are also really elderly and I am quite sure that once my conversion is done and other bungalows come on the market, others will copy what I shall be doing and it will no longer be a road just for oldies.

I have deliberately not said before what I was doing as I fully expected the housing crash pundits to be jeering at me for leaping into a falling market. However, I could have waited but then not been able to find a property I liked, where I wanted it, within my budget, and while we are still young enough (I'm 58) to tackle a great deal of the work ourselves.

We have - in true mse fashion - already made some huge savings. I was recently offered a 6 year old, solid oak units kitchen complete with Franke sink and taps, which a fashion following friend was having ripped out. I paid £250 for the whole lot and there is enough to fit out two ordinary sized kitchens. It is immaculate and I'm confident that we can produce a cracking kitchen for little cost although much effort.

Similarly, we have haunted car boot sales and bought a lot of stuff for rock bottom prices - flemish chandeliers complete with shades for £5, s/h but immaculate Dorma curtains for £8, stainless steel saucepans for £10 the set (fashion strikes again!). We are also aware that to some extent the property will have to earn it's keep to allow improvements to continue so I shall be looking for a lodger to keep the funds coming in. Those rooms in the loft will be our 'private' quarters in due course.

We are thinking of renaming the house Steptoe Manor but any suggestions based around recycling, frugality, miserliness gratefully accepted!

Sorry to hijack your thread BB but at least now that the secret is out, we shall all be able to compare notes on our progress along the route of brickdust and bathrooms!
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Hi Paddy's Mum, not a hijack at all! It's always good to share ideas etc with people in a similar boat!

Today we've been doing a serious amount of wallpaper stripping, great fun... On the plus side, we finished one of the bedrooms, and the plaster looks pretty good. On the downside, the plaster almost everywhere else is 80 years old and is pretty crumbly...had a plasterer round today to give us a quote and you could almost see the pound signs "kerching-ing" in his eyes...!

Most of the wallpaper is stripped now, but there's still the artex above the picture rails to attack - we're getting the ceilings skimmed but are going to try to strip the walls to avoid the added cost, where we wouldn't otherwise get it replastered.

In other news, we started pulling down the timber panelling on the kitchen ceiling...pulling down most of the ceiling with it...argh! That's a job to finish tomorrow.

As for the skip debate - we're lucky that my Dad has a Big Red Van that he can load up to take to the dump. Also he has a scrap man come round for his business, so we might get some cash out of the old boiler and the bath. Plus we insisted that we wouldn't exchange until the house was completely cleared, which limited the junk that we have to get rid of. So we're not going to bother with a skip, for now at least.

Right, i'm off to upload some more photos to my blog now....

BB
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • GREAT thread!! It's fantastic to see people really being keen on their project...got me itching to look around for my next one!!

The skip debate...well, we used to take all our stuff to the dump until they got funny with us. (we have a pick-up, plus a trailer that we used with the car sometimes) We even found it almost economical to take stuff to the dump in the next town until the price of deisel shot thru the roof.

Now, if we don't have a huge amount of trash to get rid of, we'll sneak it into the household bin, or park outside the facility and walk it in already in bags. It's a bluddy nuisance tho.

Seems like our local dump has some new and weird ideas about what they will actually take. We were recently told by the staff at our local tip that we could only bring in 5 small bags of hardcore for instance (WHY???) otherwise they would start charging.

One other waste facility we used to use insisted on a permit from the council if you had a trailer. You were only allowed to use this particular permit a certain number of times. Thats when we bit the bullet and started hiring skips. MUCH easier, and it meant you weren't 'double handling' everything. Hopefully your guys at the dump will be a bit more reasonable.

Good luck with it all...keep posting and updating!! :)
  • helping_hubby
    helping_hubby Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    BB1984 - Wow, just looked at your blog again and that is impressive. Tell me that has taken you more than a few days?!

As from my point of view of the skip debate, we've been doing little, by little at a go, so we've been carting it to the tip on the way to work. But next week we are smashing up the concrete back garden and will have too much hardcore, so decided it wasn't worth the hassle of taking that to the tip ourselves. So we've tried to combine the timing with knocking down the bathroom wall too.

Last night we ripped the rest of the tiles off our bathroom...or maybe I should be honest and say OH ripped off the tiles :D

As for taking time out as suggested somewhere above, it is a must. Because all our money is going on the house and take aways, we've been taking advantage of Seefilmsfirst (might be worth looking into - theres a thread that lists codes in the freebies forum) to have a night off once in a while. And we've put some money aside for some concerts next year for something to look forward to. Desperately want to see Metallica in concert.

Keep us posted.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    helping hubby - we do your little-by-little thing at the dump too but we also try only to go when we have other errands to run in town. That way, you're getting three or four things done on the "same diesel" ifyswim. Makes it less of a chore if it's only a few bags at a time.

We got rid of lots of rubble/clinker type stuff to a mate of a mate who was trying to hardcore his new yard. Might it be worthwhile for others to put a card in the shop window offering free hardcore and see if you get any takers? If you do, then it's that person on the 'blister end' of the shovel, not you.
  • helping_hubby
    helping_hubby Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    helping hubby - we do your little-by-little thing at the dump too but we also try only to go when we have other errands to run in town. That way, you're getting three or four things done on the "same diesel" ifyswim. Makes it less of a chore if it's only a few bags at a time.

We got rid of lots of rubble/clinker type stuff to a mate of a mate who was trying to hardcore his new yard. Might it be worthwhile for others to put a card in the shop window offering free hardcore and see if you get any takers? If you do, then it's that person on the 'blister end' of the shovel, not you.

I did look at offering the hardcore on freecycle - but there are just too many offers for it at the moment! It's all about a balance of money saving and time saving. We've ended up getting professionals in on some things that we hadn't planned to, but there are so many things on our list of things to do that paying a trades person for some things enables us to move on a bit. But still do other things in the mean time. Not sure if that makes any sense, but it does to me :)
  • if your changing locks do it first, as it only takes 20 mins and will keep out old tenants/ friends of old tenants who might of had a key etc
  • lil'H
    lil'H Posts: 514 Forumite
    Just wanted to ask what is your budget for the work, seems similar to a project I'm considering taking on!

H
    Riding out the receession.........
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi BB1984. I'll be following your blog too!

We've just taken possession of a house that needs total renovation and a rebuild of the unsound loft conversion. I've followed your example and started a blog (hope you don't mind!) and when I've put some pictures on it I'll put a link if anyone wants to see it.

Our builders are starting on Monday to do as much indoor prep as possible whilst awaiting planning permission for the rebuild of the loft (change to size means PP is required, if it's refused we can rebuild as is without PP). They are also removing the lounge wall to install french doors/windows to the conservatory. A horrendous slate fireplace will hopefully be removed on Monday along with some fake ceiling beams. OH has already removed some awful home-made fitted wardrobes.

Our son is a ceramic tiler and will be doing all new tiling in the utility, downstairs WC, bathroom and ensuite in the loft, as well as installing the new kitchen and bathroom.

Due to OH's ill health he wont be able to do as much as he would like, for the first time ever we're having to get someone else to do the majority of the work.

At the moment every time we go in the house we find another loose bit of wallpaper we start stripping, there's bare patches everywhere.

If anyone reading this can suggest best lighting for the kitchen, long and narrow, I'd be grateful. Dining end will have a pendant over the table but middle bit doesn't have much light but far end has large window with plenty of light for the sink/cooker. I've always had flourescent but will happily consider something a bit more stylish/modern.
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Evening all, first time I've logged on for a couple of days and pleased to see a few more people have jumped on the blogwagon...!

Needless to say, I've been very busy at the bungalow all weekend - it's been great fun but I am KNACKERED tonight! We've got so much done though, I'm really pleased. Shame we also discovered loads more that needs to be sorted...

Helping_hubby - RE my blog. Well if it's on the blog, it's what we've done in a few days, as we only got the keys on Monday. (In fact, we only completed on Friday - I'm glad it didn't fall through at the last minute...!) Just wait til you see what else we've done! I'll post on the blog tomorrow, no energy tonight. But it included finishing all the wallpaper-stripping, removing a chimney breast, removing another fireplace, attacking the jungle that is the garden, and pulling out all the hideous timber panelling from the kitchen.

I will say at this point that we are so so lucky because we have some lovely people helping us out. My Dad helped us with the chimney breast, and two of my friends did some work in the garden and some wallpaper stripping. So my advice today would be - rope everyone possible into helping, the more the merrier. As long as you keep them fed and promise them dinners etc when it's all done, they'll be happy!

My Dad also took his Big Red Van to the tip, twice. One trip contained the kitchen units and various other bits of rubbish. The second trip contained a LOT of garden rubbish. We've now bought an incinerator (£25 from B&Q) to burn stuff as we go. This morning Bob the Builder came over to give us a quote and offered to take a truck-load of bricks and rubble away for us for a small fee - far cheaper than a skip. We're at the stage now when a skip wouldn't be full quickly enough, so we'll prob get by with tip trips in the van. Our tip limits rubble to 3 bags full, so we might have to sneak a carrier bag full or so into the wheelie bin each week...! ;)

I'm sure there were other people I wanted to respond to but I can't remember right now so for the time being, I shall sign off (and go to bed to sleep VERY soundly, I'm sure!)

Thanks for all the posts,

BB
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family