Waitrose group interview, What to expect???

I've just been invited to a group interview with Waitrose next week. Im nervous as hell as this is my first interview in 11years. Im thinking the group interview will be team building exercise, but what sort has anyone been for an interview of this kind before?

Comments

• Not Waitrose specifically but have been to these sort of things where they have you do a group task (so they are looking at your team working) or they get you to debate a certain scenario.

I did one for the council where we each had to argue a case for our imaginary department to get some funding and why and debate and 'award' the funding between us iyswim.

With those I think the idea is to get your point across without being too pushy and make sure you actively listen to others ideas and work with them.

It's been a long time since I had one of these so hopefully someone will be along with more recent and less hazy advice.

Good luck with the interview.
  • passatrider
    passatrider Posts: 838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 February 2010 at 8:38PM
    BERFFRO wrote: »
    I've just been invited to a group interview with Waitrose next week. Im nervous as hell as this is my first interview in 11years. Im thinking the group interview will be team building exercise, but what sort has anyone been for an interview of this kind before?

Hey,

I went to a group interview with Waitrose last month. It's not as bad as you think!

You do tasks in small groups over two hours and they observe how you are in general and how good you are in a team.

Just be yourself and you will be fine. Just don't be over confident or too pushy during the tasks. Try to include other members in the group too!
    Good Luck! :)

Ps. I got offered a full time post with them in the end!
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't be too loud and don't be too quiet; be nice to others and make sure you try and include others when doing team projects.
  • BERFFRO
    BERFFRO Posts: 253 Forumite
    Hey,

I went to a group interview with Waitrose last month. It's not as bad as you think!

You do tasks in small groups over two hours and they observe how you are in general and how good you are in a team.

Just be yourself and you will be fine. Just don't be over confident or too pushy during the tasks. Try to include other members in the group too!
    Good Luck! :)

Ps. I got offered a full time post with them in the end!

Thank you very much my mind is at rest now. Im crossing everything i have that i get this job:) Might sound a bit strange but i'd really like to work for a company like waitrose.
  • Proc
    Proc Posts: 860 Forumite
    BERFFRO wrote: »
    Thank you very much my mind is at rest now. Im crossing everything i have that i get this job:) Might sound a bit strange but i'd really like to work for a company like waitrose.

Well done on getting the interview. I noticed you've got the general right attitude towards life and work; making sacrifices to pay your rent etc, and clearly determined to get into work.

Best of luck!

edit; I just noticed that you said you'd like to work for a company like Waitrose. Why is this? Have you thought it through? The chances are they will ask you something like "why do you want to work for us", so I would do a little research into the company in the meantime. Large company, career progression, not risk of it going under, good training?, wide variety of possible roles in the future, blah blah.
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    I did a group one for McD's....was quite fun actually, but I think I only got the job cos I'm good at subtly bossing people around and being nice about it......think it's just to see how you owrk in general, as part of a team and how good your troubleshooting skills are, so you might get different scenarios and need to act them out, e.g. a disgruntled customer after a refund who becomes angry and persistent, a lost child/parent whos lost their child, someone returning something etc etc.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • BERFFRO wrote: »

You'll be fine! ;)
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    A friend of mine had an interview with John Lewis recently (she got the Job) & they asked her questions about the company, how many products they sell, how many stores etc to see if she had done her homework on the company!!
    So make sure you do some research!!!!
  • BERFFRO
    Just a quick update.

Went for my group interview, The most nerve wrecking thing i have ever done. It took me hours to steady my nerves! I feel like i let myself down big time!! Anyway I all of my group went through to the second interview which they did there and then. Just a matter of wait and see now.
  • BERFFRO
    Just another update i didn't get the job:( My application is on hold, if another suitable vacancy arises they will inform me(not holding my breath)

I did the only thing i could think off and thanked them for letting me know about my unsuccessful application, And asked for some feedback about my interview skills.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure