We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Stop Greenfly with washing liquid - how much?

lbt_2
lbt_2 Posts: 565 Forumite
Hi

I have heard that I can get rid of the greenfly on my strawberry plants with a mixture of water and washing up liquid. What concentration would I use? If I filled up a spray bottle with water, how many drops of washing up liquid would I put in? Also does it flavour the fruit?

I plan to wipe off the greenfly with cotton wool and water first, then spray as a deterent. Does that sound okay?

I am sure you can already tell that I am a novice - this is my first year of growing anything at all :eek:

Many thanks :)

Comments

• sharon59
    sharon59 Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    am sure someone who really knows will be along to help out soon but l have always just emptied bowl that have washed up in over plants when cool-not greasy water or full of bits of course!Sothats usual few squirts!!!!has not killed my roses yet!!!!
    :j this money saving is such fun:T
  • penny_less
    penny_less Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've done this in past years(but only on flowers) I put a generous squirt( perhaps about a tablespoon?) in a spray bottle and topped up with water. It works as it makes it very hard for them to get a grip on the plant. i would imagine it would be ok for strawberries as well.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It would probably be worth getting some proper garden soft soap, specially for dealing with things like greenfly, you use such a small amount so it will last for ages, no worries about using the wrong type of thing.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure