We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    561880_10150637446783807_607333806_9372184_1279891428_n.jpg

MR BadExample I have decided to join you in your 'grow your own dinner' challenge.

The hanging baskets at my front door have cherry tomatoes in too but a hanging basket approved variety

Welcome to the thread SK, nice to see after all these years you've finally started growing stuff.

You have a nice size back garden and an open aspect from what I remember. You'll find it cheaper to dig beds or borders, it also cuts down on the amount of watering you'll need to do.

If you haven't already get a compost bin or two going, pallets make good bins, or even a heap with old carpet or something over it.
    And get those hanging baskets in the greenhouse, too cold for toms outside yet.

Have Ben and Holly got their own little patch?
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    I take it you don't have a hose pipe ban MBE?

Fortunately not. :)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fortunately not. :)
    Send me down some of your water please, I'll swap it for some free bird seed :D
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    John - has your bowls season started yet?

(apologies for the brief OT query folks!)
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »

It's not off topic. I expect you're asking because you want to know something about the grass. ;) :whistle:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    Send me down some of your water please, I'll swap it for some free bird seed :D

I was looking at the garden today and thinking it could do with a drop of rain. A big drop, actually. Nothing forecast before Saturday. :(
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    Not yet. We start on the 18th I think, though I'll probably miss it 'cos I'm waiting to go in for an incisional hernia repair any time now and I've been told ( much to my wifes amusement), no lifting, hoovering, or the washing for 6weeks and no driving for 2 weeks or untill I can perform an emergency stop( so she has to drive me around). :rotfl::rotfl: So that must mean no bowls either.:(:(
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Not yet. We start on the 18th I think, though I'll probably miss it 'cos I'm waiting to go in for an incisional hernia repair any time now and I've been told ( much to my wifes amusement), no lifting, hoovering, or the washing for 6weeks and no driving for 2 weeks or untill I can perform an emergency stop( so she has to drive me around). :rotfl::rotfl: So that must mean no bowls either.:(:(

That must be hampering the gardening too. :( Hope you get sorted out quickly pal.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    I could do with the rain too - had to water the herb pots this evening - in March! Anything in the ground will have to take its chances - I'm on a water meter.

Spring onions are just starting to appear - will keep my fingers crossed as I've never been successful with those. My ordinary onions would be doing well if it wasn't for my 8 month old large pup who is convinced my gardening efforts are to make an activity playground for him. He's trampled the onions, eaten a blueberry plant and most of my grapevine and thinks that I bury potatoes for him to dig up. Anything I try to use for protection is regarded as an obstacle course :eek:

I've got flower buds on my overwintered PiP chillies and my early variety tomatoes are on to their second or third set of true leaves :T

Pup also ate most of my raspberries, blackberries and blackcurrants, but they seemed determined to reshoot so fingers crossed.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    It's ok at the mo 'cos I have a strong strechy belt to hold it. Was caused by the muscle giving way after a ruptured aorta 2 yrs ago. 2 yrs ago today I was still clinging on in intensive care. Aorta burst about 6pm and waited untill 9.15 for ambulance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure