Since my last thread was so rudely sabotaged

Options

Comments

• frugglewump
    Options
    Have you tried the snowball calculator at https://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

You can see which debts to concentrate on first & easily see how much overpaying by a slight amount will help.

Apologies if already suggested - i haven't seen your original thread
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    with any 'spare' cash use the snowball principle i.e. pay the minimum on all cc except that with the highest APR ..on that pay the max you can...in your case that's capital one card at 29.9% (ouch).. although i dont really understand the LX debt maybe you should clear that first but not enough information about that.
    do you have PPI on any of the CC ..you may consider cancelling these as they are expensive and often useless.
  • itsarichmansworld
    Options
    Snowball is magic I cant believe it If I work this right I could be debt free by 2009. What a difference Thank you so much!

I must do this I can do this I will do this!!!!!

:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
    Isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?
  • lil'H
    lil'H Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, not much advise that hasn't already been covered, but just wanted to say i'm so pleased your getting more constuctive comments this time around! Definately snowball, also if you have any left on your Smile credit card, transfer up to the maximum off your most expensive one (Capital one). You want as little as possible on your highest interest card, this could save you quite a bit in interest. Also don't just transfer it ring, and see if they can give you a lower interest on your card if you were to transfer.

Lil'H

Lil'H
    Riding out the receession.........
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hey rich man wanna be just wanted to add my support..the council tax in scotland is a bummer aint it ?i'm not a kick in the butt off of £200 a month...hope you get a grip on things...love your avatar by the way drinking some just now
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I rang Vodafone this week and went straight thro' to closures. They are able to ofer better deals than customer service. I reduced my mothly tariff by about 75% and got extra texts and calls. (When I spoke to c s last moth I got no where.)
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • itsarichmansworld
    Options
    elantan wrote:
    hey rich man wanna be just wanted to add my support..the council tax in scotland is a bummer aint it ?i'm not a kick in the butt off of £200 a month...hope you get a grip on things...love your avatar by the way drinking some just now

Hi Yeah council tax is shocking I'm not so bad thought My falt is worth £70k But I am on a band a which is odd and I am not querying it though!

Irn Bru is ace!
    Isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?
  • bargainbetty
    Options
    Start by contacting all your credit card companies and asking for a rate reduction based upon any deals you see them offering to new customers - give them the 'so you don't care about existing customers then' speech. Ifyou get a bit of a reduction it's something.

Then switch the debts off the highest APRs onto the lower(ed) APRs. Close the cleared accounts completely, as this will improve your chances of getting a new 0% card - you will show up as having less available credit!

Then, start card tarting. Some cards are offering 0% on balance transfers and purchases for 12 months.

Just remember, close the accounts as they clear, and cut up the cards on receipt. No using them, not even for specials :)

With regard to the gym, buy a second hand bike out of the papers or freecycle one and start cycling at the weekends. The one-off inital outlay on kit will be a damn sight cheaper than paying £80 for the gym every month!

If you get a second job, where are you going to find time for the gym anyway? :)

I found it easier to have a joint account for household finances, and then separate accounts for 'fun' money. That way, all the bills are covered but you each have a measure of responsibility for the remainder of your pennies - just transfer the amount necessary from each salary payment directly in, and what is left over is your own!

Ooops, sorry, long one!
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Red_Fraggle_3
    Options
    sounds silly but little things help try pigsback.com and quidco you may be able to make money off those :-) I save my change nearly £200 in the tin (but my little en has talked herself to 20% of that) -
    It's a long journey but when you get to the end it's worth it - re the loans
    I set up a spreadsheet and deducted the monthly payments each time 3 columns 1st number of months, 2nd amount payment, 3rd amount to pay - move payments from 3rd to 2nd column when paid ( after a few you months you forget then remember then wow load paid off when you move the figures)

sorry if a little long winded
  • BertieMeldrew
    Options
    ...for 2 phones needed for work

...Gym £80 I know its a luxury but I used to be fat so I need this or I will get fat again

Good luck... but

Why do so many people post SOA and include things like "phone needed for work"? Surely, if it's needed for work then work should foot the bill

Secondly... why do you need a gym? It costs nothing to walk... you get fresh air... real exercise... you get to see things... you get to meet people

But, as I say, good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport