Savings Account/Credit Score

Hi Everyone

My girlfriend and I are starting to save a deposit to buy a flat/house together. We are planning to open a joint account with Nationwide, but before we do I wanted to check if anyone knew whether this was a bad idea or not.

We live at separate addresses currently and both have 'excellent' credit scores. I understand that by opening this account, it will link us together. Can anyone see any negative effects by doing this? I wondered about the different addresses thing as multiple addresses seems to unnerve the credit rating sites.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Moochoo2

Comments

• Hooloovoo
    Hooloovoo Posts: 1,281 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2012 at 1:56PM
    Do you trust that she wont find a new fella and run off with all the money?

Do you both pay tax? If so filling up your ISAs would be a more efficient method saving. Then combine the money when you buy the house.

Is there any particular reason why you want to save in a joint account? Instead of asking what are the negatives, have you asked yourself what are the positives? I can't think of any positives to be honest.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Negative effects? You split up, one of you decides to splash the cash and maybe even default. Both of you are e/affected.

Not even sure how the address's would work, I would assume you can only have 1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure