PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much does a new roof cost?

Comments

• looops
    looops Posts: 6 Forumite
    hello everyone . . .

i'm kinda new to this site, so if this question is in the wrong spot or doesn't make sense then please do let me know . . .

. . .basically i am trying to buy a house which is in need of a total overhaul, it's very dated and needs re-wire, boiler etc . . it turns out it has a pitched felt roof. (looks like slates in a terracota colour) The house was built late 60's - early 70's, although the roof doesn't appear to be that old. It's in exceptional condition, no moss, tears, cracks, bumps or bulges and there is no sign of deffect from outside or signs of leaking or problems on the inside.

The problem is the survey has gone back to the mortgage company dictating that the roof is replaced . . ." the roof coverings are substandard and require replacement with a more durable material. Quotations for this work should be obtained from reputable roofing company" they will not give us the money until the seller replaces it completely, they wont let us do it retrospectively once we move in.

this seems very odd to me as it is in really good condition . . . is a felt roof like this particulary bad, if so why?? - or have i got a very anal surveyor??? this property had a previous survey in November 07 and nothing was noted.

If this does have to be replaced - what sort of costs am i looking at??

guys - sorry for the length of this post, i just can't explain in any less!!

Thanks in advance

Lee
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    We had our roof replaced a couple of years ago - it was 1930s asbestos tiles which were fine when left alone, but the nails had become corroded so tiles were slipping and cracking.

Cost of roof on a semi bungalow - approx £3.5K (from memory).

HTH
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Ring tile reclaimer to see what they'll give you for your old tiles
  • whirlwind wrote: »
    Hi

Roughly how much does a new roof cost on a house? A tile roof on an average/large 3 bed semi (ex council house)?

It has some tiles missing and a lot of moss on the side that does not get the sun, also some woodworm on some beams which we've been advised some parts of them would need replacing. The advice came via a structural engineer who's read the full survey (but not seen the house).

Thank you
    it would,nt be to much if you can reuse the exsisting tiles scaffold about £300 for front and back labour and materials about£1800 so roughly your looking at £2100 or there abouts watch out theres allot of rip off merchants out there
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I eventually had my roof replaced for £10,000 inc Vat. This was for a 3 bed semi using half newer tiles and half from the existing roof. This was also insured for 10 years. This was the best deal I was able to get in Edinburgh.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Drodough
    Drodough Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had a quote for £6,000 plus VAT to replace all roof covering (ie all clay tiles, hip tiles, ridge tiles). THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY WOODWORK/BEAMS. This was a 3 bed semi

Yes, I would buy a house that needed that much work, after getting quotes for repair and a survey done, if I really liked the house and got it for the right price.
  • looops wrote: »
    hello everyone . . .

i'm kinda new to this site, so if this question is in the wrong spot or doesn't make sense then please do let me know . . .

. . .basically i am trying to buy a house which is in need of a total overhaul, it's very dated and needs re-wire, boiler etc . . it turns out it has a pitched felt roof. (looks like slates in a terracota colour) The house was built late 60's - early 70's, although the roof doesn't appear to be that old. It's in exceptional condition, no moss, tears, cracks, bumps or bulges and there is no sign of deffect from outside or signs of leaking or problems on the inside.

The problem is the survey has gone back to the mortgage company dictating that the roof is replaced . . ." the roof coverings are substandard and require replacement with a more durable material. Quotations for this work should be obtained from reputable roofing company" they will not give us the money until the seller replaces it completely, they wont let us do it retrospectively once we move in.

this seems very odd to me as it is in really good condition . . . is a felt roof like this particulary bad, if so why?? - or have i got a very anal surveyor??? this property had a previous survey in November 07 and nothing was noted.

If this does have to be replaced - what sort of costs am i looking at??

guys - sorry for the length of this post, i just can't explain in any less!!

Thanks in advance

Lee

I would spak with the surveyor, then ring bs and ask for a second opinion, or apply for a different mortgage.

You could exchange contracts then do the work get a re survey then complete
  • nettttie
    nettttie Posts: 318 Forumite
    I helped arrange for my uncle to have a new roof. 3K from brother-in-law. Now I dont know the in's and out's of the new roof (nor do the gossip mongers!) - but he's been informed he's being ripped off!!

it's a 3 bed quasi-semi - from what I've tried to find out, it seems ok. My bil often does work for us and usually under prices - ie: mates rates.

he's putting a stud wall up in my kids large double bedroom, replacing the large window with one he can put the studd wall up against. There is a smaller window in the corner he's dropping so its the same length, and doors and frames, putting in new plugs and lighting switches and moving plumbing for radiates (I'm buying). For that he's quoted me £1800.

Does anybody think 3k is excessive? thanks,
  • nettttie
    nettttie Posts: 318 Forumite
    *bump* any builders about today please?
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    I got 3 quotes for a 3 bed house in London to have a roof renewal and the cheapest quote came back at 6k and that's only if the invoice is settled within a week as this offers a discount of about 1k.

So to be honest, I'd rip someone's arm off who could offer to charge me 3k for a new roof.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure