The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Help with housing benefit

CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
edited 12 June 2012 at 10:02AM in Housing benefit help
This thread is for people wanting to start getting help with housing benefit. You may be able to get housing benefit if you’re on other benefits, work part-time or work full-time on a low income.

Our advisers from Wyre Forest CAB Services are here to help you with your individual questions. Post your queries to this thread and a CAB representative will aim to answer your question within 2 working days.

If you’re already receiving support and advice from your local CAB, then please continue your discussion with them rather than post on this board.

Please also see the MSE post about this service and the collaboration between MSE and Citizens Advice Bureau.
Official CAB Representative
I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"

Comments

• Hi, I am on JSA but I have found some 'part-time' work however the working times are quite inconsistent each week and depends if there is any work available or not. I will probably sign off and still claim housing benefit if that is possible, as I will be always working under 16 hours per week, earning minimum wage.
    Now I talked to the housing office and she told me I have to fill out how many hours I will be doing (and with a forecast of two months). But, I don't know exactly how many hours it will be each week! Most jobs are on a 'first-come-first-serve' basis and what is available.. so how can I fill out the forms, and how can my employer fill out the forms?
    Best, C
  • Kay.Samuels
    Kay.Samuels Posts: 262
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a quick question about housing benefit if anyone can help?

I may be starting a new job soon (fingers crossed) - is there an agency I can go to or a tool I can use to find out how much, if any HB I will be entitled to whilst in new job? My lone parent advisor at the job centre used to calculate during a better off in work calculation but a friend in the same circumstances as me has been told by job centre they won't do this anymore for housing benefit and so she is simply waiting to find out how much or nothing when her new claim award comes through.

I would prefer to know so I can calculate my finances and be sure I can manage before starting a new job. Is this possible?
    It is only a bargain if you need it!
  • Hi, I am on JSA but I have found some 'part-time' work however the working times are quite inconsistent each week and depends if there is any work available or not. I will probably sign off and still claim housing benefit if that is possible, as I will be always working under 16 hours per week, earning minimum wage.
    Now I talked to the housing office and she told me I have to fill out how many hours I will be doing (and with a forecast of two months). But, I don't know exactly how many hours it will be each week! Most jobs are on a 'first-come-first-serve' basis and what is available.. so how can I fill out the forms, and how can my employer fill out the forms?
    Best, C

You will have to give an estimate at first, but this will be reviewed at regular interviews and your entitlement adjusted to reflect any under/ overpayment.

I may be starting a new job soon (fingers crossed) - is there an agency I can go to or a tool I can use to find out how much, if any HB I will be entitled to whilst in new job? My lone parent advisor at the job centre used to calculate during a better off in work calculation but a friend in the same circumstances as me has been told by job centre they won't do this anymore for housing benefit and so she is simply waiting to find out how much or nothing when her new claim award comes through.

I would prefer to know so I can calculate my finances and be sure I can manage before starting a new job. Is this possible?

Your council's website will have an entitlement calculator on there, or you can look at Turn2Us for an estimate.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative

Hello Key.Samuels
    We recommend using Turn2Us for estimating benefit entitlement - go to http://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/ and complete the questionnaire.
    Please note that Housing Benefit entitlement is limited by your local housing Allowance - you will need to contact your local authority either in person or on line.
    Good luck with the new job
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    Hi, I am on JSA but I have found some 'part-time' work however the working times are quite inconsistent each week and depends if there is any work available or not. I will probably sign off and still claim housing benefit if that is possible, as I will be always working under 16 hours per week, earning minimum wage.
    Best, C
    Hi
    I'm afraid that you will have to make your best estimate. It might be wise to avoid being too pessimistic on the hours you will work as this may lead to you having to repay some of the benefit.
    Some of your income is "disregarded" -see below:
    "The standard earnings disregard and the permitted work earnings disregard are as follows.Single people £5, Couples - one working £10, both working £10, Lone parent £25." The rules about disregards are potentially complex. If you find that you do not get the benefit you were expecting then you might need to visit your local CAB office for more detailed advice.
    Good luck
  • clouty
    clouty Posts: 118 Forumite
    My neighbour has been renting her flat, and has been in receipt of housing benefit, since 2004. She is now on JSA though she used to be on WTC, unfortunately she lost her job. Her landlord bumped the rent up by £100 a month a bit over a year ago, and she's having to try and meet top-up payments of £28 a week out of her JSA, which as you can imagine is difficult, not least because the Job Centre are also taking £15 a week for a crisis loan she had a while ago. The poor woman is so thin!

I came across this information on DirectGov:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/benefitstaxcreditsandothersupport/on_a_low_income/dg_10018928
    If you have been getting Housing Benefit since before 7 April 2008, the Local Housing Allowance will only apply to you if you:
    change address
    have a break in your claim

neither of which apply. Does this mean that she is eligible for the full amount of the rent on her flat? She cannot see how she could find a cheaper place, and does not want to dislocate her son. She is no longer in receipt of Child Benefit for him, as he is now over eighteen, but he still lives with her.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this matter.
    may your good days grow
  • daimonde
    daimonde Posts: 200
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    clouty wrote: »
    My neighbour has been renting her flat, and has been in receipt of housing benefit, since 2004. She is now on JSA though she used to be on WTC, unfortunately she lost her job. Her landlord bumped the rent up by £100 a month a bit over a year ago, and she's having to try and meet top-up payments of £28 a week out of her JSA, which as you can imagine is difficult, not least because the Job Centre are also taking £15 a week for a crisis loan she had a while ago. The poor woman is so thin!

I came across this information on DirectGov:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/benefitstaxcreditsandothersupport/on_a_low_income/dg_10018928

neither of which apply. Does this mean that she is eligible for the full amount of the rent on her flat? She cannot see how she could find a cheaper place, and does not want to dislocate her son. She is no longer in receipt of Child Benefit for him, as he is now over eighteen, but he still lives with her.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this matter.

Not being assessed under LHA for a private tenant probably means the rent is set by the Rent Office, which no, doesnt automatically mean 'full benefit', the figures ive seen (not too many admittedly) coming back from the rent office for claims in my area tend to be very similar to LHA rates anyway. This may account for some of the shortfall.

If her son is working, it could well be that that £28 shortfall is a non-dependant deduction, the second tier of deductions is £26.25pw - this would be if he is earning £124 - £182.99.
  • enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    Hi, I am on JSA but I have found some 'part-time' work however the working times are quite inconsistent each week and depends if there is any work available or not. I will probably sign off and still claim housing benefit if that is possible, as I will be always working under 16 hours per week, earning minimum wage.
    Best, C

In addition to the information you have been given abouthousing benefit, you should think carefully about not ‘signing off’ JSA. If you will be working under 16 hours atminimum wage you aren’t going to earn enough to pay or be credited withNational Insurance Credits through your work.

Those working under 16 hours can still sign on and thiswould protect your NI contribution record re your pension etc. See here for more details http://taxaid.org.uk/info/national-insurance/national-insurance-for-employees-and-employers/national-insurance-thresholds.

At minimum wage, on a rough estimate, you might also qualifyfor some level of payment of JSA for those periods you work under 12 hours. Being paid JSA also means you are entitled tohelp with the dentist /optician/prescriptions. Otherwise you should consider filling an HC1 form for help with these costson a low wage http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx,

The above is based on an assumption that you are single,without dependents and aged over 21. The info might be different if that assumption is wrong.
  • Hello
    I am single, over 21 and with non-dependents. The thing is, I want to sign off JSA!
    Can you please explain the term 'disregard' in relation to tye numbers (£5??) as well please, dear advisor?

So even though I have found some part time work, it is still advisable to contine signing on? If I do not earn much, what do I have to pay else other than NI contributions? I thought that will be deducted from my wage or do i have to pay them separately? Am I also exempt from council tax?

I am desperately trying to find some more stable part time work, will it be such a problem if it is not full time work (which i cant find at the moment)

Best, c
  • enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    No you won't have to pay national insurance at that wage level- that's good for your pocket now but bad (potentially) for your pension. When you don't earn enough to eiher pay NI or be 'credited' with paying NI through work you should see if you can get NI credits from somewhere else. in your case you can get them from signing on. I can't view the thread whilst posting but £5 disregard means that any benefits which take into account how much you are earning will ignore £5 of those earnings - pretend you are getting £5 less than you are really paid. You are not exempt from getting a council tax bill but because of low earnings you should get council tax benefit to pay some or all of it.

Finding part time work is a fantastic thing to do for your future prospects and it's not a problem financially - you will not be worse off if you access all the help you could get. You need to still sign on to make sure you get the most support financially now and when you retire. What you choose to do is up to you of course- this isn't advice just info to look into.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure