Natwest Default help!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope someone can be of assistance.

in August 2014 I received a letter from APEX credit stating that i owed £498 on a Natwest Credit Card as i had apparently missed a number of payments This is the first I had heard of the error and immediately rang APEX and paid the debt off. Later, upon checking my credit file i noticed that Natwest had registered a Default against the account in July 2014.

I have since been writing to Natwest trying to address the issue. I have finally received a response that didn't take the form of a standard pro-forma. They assert that their system confirms that a default notice was correctly issued in August 2012! Two years before the alleged default took place! They then say that a Termination Letter was sent on 11 September 2012, then go on to state if I still have an issue then i can apply to the court to have the info removed.

I'm in the process of drafting a letter in response, but wonder if anyone had any views or advice as to whether I ought to bother replying to Natwest, given that they seem reluctant to actually read letters, or whether I should take this straight to the FSO?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

"The first you had heard of the error" ?

Didn't you realise you hadn't made any payments for over two years ?

APEX are a debt collection agency, so the account must of been many months behind for Natwest to assign it to them.

A creditor can default your account at any time, usually after 3-6 missed payments.

So far what you have said rings true, the only reason you would have to complain would be to get the default date put back to when Natwest terminated your agreement in sept 2012.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Many thanks for your reply,

Apologies if it wasn't clear in my post, the account apparently defaulted in July 2014. I received a letter from Apex in August '14 and I immediately rang apex to resolve the debt. the account is registered as terminated in November 2014.

The dates in the letter from NatWest are absolutely wrong and (I propose) are because no Default Notice was submitted.

Again, apologies for not being clear!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi bartrumu and welcome to the forum

The Financial Ombudsman Service will normally only intervene in the following scenarios:

- You have complained to the lender and received no reply within eight weeks; or

- The lender has responded to your complaint but you are not happy with it.

I would suggest that you also raise this with the Information Commissioner www.ico.org.uk as this concerns the accuracy of the data recorded about your credit history.

Good luck getting the matter resolved.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure