Best electric toothbrush

Comments

• I used to use a philips sonicare which was great, but my dentist kept telling me i need to use these tp sticks to aid plaque removal.

I since got a Oral B triumph 8000 series with floss action brushes.
    Just been dentist and she asked me if i had been using a new brush or the tp sticks as my gums were so much better and plaque was drastically reduced.
    Was in the dentist for a check up and clean and out within 10 minutes.
    Best 50 quid i spent on amazon.

Ray
  • wadia860
    wadia860 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Just thought I'd ressurect an old thread.

After refusing to pay £25ish for 2 heads for my Philips Sonicare (I know they are available cheaper these days online) I decided to change to a cheapishh Oral B a few months ago (8500). This does not feel as good as my Sonicare and my hygienist wasn't too impressed :o so for the final time, I have just changed again.

Anyway, I thought I'd get a decent brush once again so I was looking at the Oral B Triumph 4000 (~£130) or the 5000 (£160). I thought the Smartguide was gimicky and not worth the extra £30 so I nearly ordered to 4000.

I just went to Amazon and there's a MASSIVE £90 OFF the gimicky 5000 so I ordered one! That's £60 cheaper than the 4000!

LINK
  • vikkit_2
    vikkit_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    The recent evidence shows that a toothbrush with an oscillating head is more efficient at removing plaque than a sonic toothbrush. An example of an oscillating toothbrush is a braun electric toothbrush. If you are buying one make sure it is a rechargable one.
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Does anyone know any good cheaper rechargable ones? Am looking for a electric one too and wanted to know if there were any good budget type options.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • elfen wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good cheaper rechargable ones? Am looking for a electric one too and wanted to know if there were any good budget type options.

I went to the dentist and he recommended an electric toothbrush. I used to have a rechargeable one (Oral B), but as I don't have a socket in the bathroom we always ended up with a flat battery and useless toothbrush.
    So I just bought a battery operated one. Colgate Actibrush, £8 in supermarkets. Replacement heads £1.5 x2
    The difference has been incredible. My teeth feel so clean now. The toothbrush has two heads, pulsating really fast, so it cleans very well. I bought one for my partner as well.

Not all battery operated toothbrushes are the same though.... I had been using Oral B Pulsar. It's not a Witch DON'T BUY for nothing. Worse than a normal toothbrush!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I went to the dentist and he recommended an electric toothbrush. I used to have a rechargeable one (Oral B), but as I don't have a socket in the bathroom we always ended up with a flat battery and useless toothbrush.
    So I just bought a battery operated one. Colgate Actibrush, £8 in supermarkets. Replacement heads £1.5 x2
    The difference has been incredible. My teeth feel so clean now. The toothbrush has two heads, pulsating really fast, so it cleans very well. I bought one for my partner as well.

Not all battery operated toothbrushes are the same though.... I had been using Oral B Pulsar. It's not a Witch DON'T BUY for nothing. Worse than a normal toothbrush!
    :rotfl: I tried this too- ended up with very sore gums, those silicon bits are evil! The Reach and the Colgate versions are much better!

What did Which say about it?
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    :rotfl: I tried this too- ended up with very sore gums, those silicon bits are evil! The Reach and the Colgate versions are much better!

What did Which say about it?

poor battery life (not replaceable), cleans badly. Philips sonicare are bet buys. It does not mention the Actibrush, only Colgate 360.

But you can't really rely on which's reviews. They give bad scores because you can't replace the battery, really not comparing like for like.
  • Went to see the hygienist this morning. He recommended that I use Philips Sonicare, much better than anything else.
    I will definitely buy it, when I replace my Colgate Actibrush.
  • Wilma33
    Wilma33 Posts: 681 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2010 at 7:06AM
    Toothsmith (or anyone else!) please can you let me know what is the current best electric toothbrush as this thread is slightly out of date?

Also, please can someone with a Which? subscription let me know which one they suggest?

I want to buy a really good one so I'm willing to pay about £100 if necersary.

Thanks.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's not necessary.

About £20-£30 for the more basic Braun rechargable ones.

They have the same action and speed as the ones further up the price range, but without the expensive whistles and knobs.

Something like this (Although I'm not saying this is the best place to get it - check other stores for special offers) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Professional-Electric-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B0029Z9XOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1283417013&sr=8-1

Avoid ultrasonics (Even the Braun one) The action of these toothbrushes has been shown to be superior to ultrasonic in all real-life clinical trials.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure