Charged by Hotel for Breakfast but they won't send me a receipt

So I paid for a a work colleague to stay over night in a local hotel. We usually use the company credit card for this but the owner of the credit card was on holiday so I authorised mine for the two nights plus breakfast.
I've been sent an emailed receipt for the hotel nights but when I got my credit card statement I noticed an additional charge. I'm fairly sure this must be for breakfast and had authorised this so that isn't really a problem.

The issue is that I need to claim this charge on my expenses and really require the receipt to do this (I can claim without the receipt but its easier with it and better for the business).

I have contacted the hotel on the telephone and on Email and have been promised a copy of the receipt but this hasn't been received. Is there anything more I can do?

Comments

• Call them again?

Use your credit card receipt to claim the expenses?
  • Not quite the point. As I said I can claim without the receipt but that doesn't help the business in the long run with their tax processing and I am obliged to do everything I can to keep the costs down for the business and not just myself.
    I have called them multiple times and sent multiple emails before posting this on the forum. I wouldn't waste my time if it that easy.

My question is there something I can do to force the issue, some forceful terminology or consumer rights process where they must send me a receipt?

I also feel very strongly that companies should be held to account when they don't fulfil their obligations to their customers, if I don't push this with them how many other customers will they be doing this to?
  • What kind of hotel was it? I would just call back and insist they do it while you are on your email. If you get no joy escalate upwards till you do. Then leave a review on TA detailing the issue.
  • Two choices here either be civil about and make a rather simple call explaining why you need the information and say I will wait on the line while you organise and send it over or be uncivil about and make a big deal about it, By rights for a copy of receipt I very much doubt there is anything legal that you can do but you could say that you will post bad reviews and so on if they do not sort it out, This may not still get the desired result though.

Surely the print out you got at the time is sufficient though here ?
  • Could that possibly mean that they have not declared this extra charge through their books then?
  • Surely the print out you got at the time is sufficient though here ?

I wasn't given any print out at the time, this has all be organised remotely over the telephone and email.

Short of staying on the phone and physically waiting for the email to come through I've tried everything and have been and intend to be incredibly civil.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 2:36PM
    Changie wrote: »
    My question is there something I can do to force the issue, some forceful terminology or consumer rights process where they must send me a receipt?

No, I don't think there is.

You need to decide whether you paid as a consumer or as a business.

Obviously if this was a business purchase then there wouldn't be an appropriate 'consumer rights process'.
    But if it was a business purchase then I believe they must provide a vat receipt if asked.

If it was a consumer purchase then there is no obligation for the seller to provide any receipt, although most will when asked.

If you had been able to use the company's credit card, how would that 'help the business in the long run with their tax processing'?
    The company would still have a payment without a receipt.

Changie wrote: »
    I also feel very strongly that companies should be held to account when they don't fulfil their obligations to their customers...
    What obligations?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    What difference does it make to your company if you use your CC statement rather than the hotel receipt
  • photome wrote: »
    What difference does it make to your company if you use your CC statement rather than the hotel receipt

The company process is that expenses are claimed by submission of a receipt so they are able to reclaim tax on these business expenses. I'm obligated to try and stick to the process as best I can. If I can't produce a receipt I can still claim it without the receipt and the company isn't going to argue the payment of this. At the end of the day I'm just trying to do the right thing.
  • Changie
    Changie Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 7:36PM
    wealdroam wrote: »

What obligations?

Thats my question really, do they have any? I think you answered that for me, thankyou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure