We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Does pee help kill moss

2»

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Doesn't kill anything for us either. with two girl dogs and I peeing on the rass we don't even have brown patches.....I wonder if we are all deficient in something essentially female?:o:eek:
    I don't know, I remember now my Mum used to have a couple of bit-ches that killed the lawn where they pee'd.

Maybe I'm missing something too :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    conradmum wrote: »
    Do you mean will it kill the weeds growing in the gaps? Well, it won't do them much good if you put it on neat, but it will smell!

Salt is supposed to work pretty well for that, if you can get a big bag cheap, but be aware that the run off when it rains may damage surrounding vegetation too.
    hi, this is moss not weeds. tried weed and moss killers, they havent worked. have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape it out, there is not a lot but kills my back
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    amersall wrote: »
    hi, this is moss not weeds. tried weed and moss killers, they havent worked. have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape it out, there is not a lot but kills my back

This weekend I scraped moss of a step with the back of a flat rake and a hoe. Saved bending, :o
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    amersall wrote: »

I'm surprised the chemicals you used didn't work - do you mean they didn't work at all or the moss grew back?

Anyway, I feel for you with your back. Is it a large area? If you were to sweep the cracks with a stiff broom every week or so it would stop moss growing there. Could you manage that do you think? This is the only long term solution I can think of. Moss and other plants will always grow back wherever the conditions suit them and they can get a hold.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    conradmum wrote: »
    I'm surprised the chemicals you used didn't work - do you mean they didn't work at all or the moss grew back?

Anyway, I feel for you with your back. Is it a large area? If you were to sweep the cracks with a stiff broom every week or so it would stop moss growing there. Could you manage that do you think? This is the only long term solution I can think of. Moss and other plants will always grow back wherever the conditions suit them and they can get a hold.
    thanks for that, i will keep on top of of with a stiff brush. no chemicals have not worked, it is not a lot but it is unsightly, and when i get it out it just returns, a few months later. i must have a soggy garden underneath the slabs and paving, thank you for answering much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure