National rail ignorant staff and bad service

2»

Comments

• Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I doubt this will make any difference; considering their bad service, before they get briefed about rail cards my card will be already expired lol
  • Cpu2007 wrote: »
    I apologise about the confusion with the names yes it's network rail

Can a moderator please change the title to network rail or completaly remove the name of the company as I don't want my mistake to be used as downrate to the wrong company.

However, on what grounds can I make a complain to the company and how will they solve the issues if you think there are grounds for me to make a complain. I can also get recordings of staff taking ages to make a ticket as a proof but not sure what and what will not help/

The problem is is that the card you are using is not in wide circulation so even if staff have been briefed about it as they normally dont sell a ticket using such a railcard they will forget about it - thats human nature.

But its only been the last year or so that the card has had its name changed from NEnew deal to whatever it is now. Though I dont understand how it can take them so long to find it as it is under the Railcards tab on the TIS so 15 minutes to find it is quite odd.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Cpu2007
    As much as I can agree on the fact that's human nature I don't think this can be applied on this situation
    If we as customers are required to be responsible of our belongings, buying the ticket to travel in the train,show each examiners who ask for it throughout the journey,i think expecting them to do their job is the least I should expect, considering that now I also show them the previous ticket that has the code which I believe is what they search for
  • The problem is is that the card you are using is not in wide circulation so even if staff have been briefed about it as they normally dont sell a ticket using such a railcard they will forget about it - thats human nature.

Jeff, TBH :beer: that sounds like an excuse, it's not the OP problem, he has a valid railcard with a means to pay, it's part of the revenue staff's job to keep current.
    Cpu2007 wrote: »
    sometime more then 15 minutes and because of this I have missed my train a few times and also the job where I go to; hopefully I'll be getting the job as paid in a week and I don't want to give a bad impression by getting late because staff at the railway station can't do their job.

Maybe a solution, but buy the tickets online at Northern rail, they have a drop down option for the 'Job Centre +' railcard, then use the option to collect your ticket from the Northern ticket machines at Manchester Pic before you travel.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Jeff, TBH :beer: that sounds like an excuse, it's not the OP problem, he has a valid railcard with a means to pay, it's part of the revenue staff's job to keep current.

Youre right they should. But its human nature when you are in a job like this where you are selling the same tickets over and over again and something quite out of the ordinary comes up that you dont remember what it is. Yes they should keep up to date with everything and training should be regular, but these are people who are just doing their jobs and they will forget things from time to time - we all do.

I remember once when I wanted to go from Oxford circus to Aylesbury and the clerk sold me a 1-6 TC and told me it was valid only I knew it wasnt so got him to search for the ticket I wanted.

Stop thinking these people are like machines and give them a bit of a break at least.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Axial
    Axial Posts: 76 Forumite
    Cpu2007 wrote: »
    As some of you might be aware, there's a job centre railway card that entitles me for a discounted ticket, now the problem is that is has been almost a month and everytime I go an buy the ticket, the staff there doesn't know anytihng about it and takes a lot of time to sell me a ticket (10-20 mins) which is very frustrating as I've got late for work sometime, I've missed a few trains.

Tell them to use Discount Code JCP. But dont talk to them as if you know their job better than them.
    There's a whole lot more to being a railway ticket clerk than just selling tickets and its quite difficult to remeber on the spot the exact details of everything.

Below are the offical restrictions etc on that JCP card.
    Discounts available

Ticket types
    Standard accommodation only
    Anytime: SDS, SDR, SOS, SOR, GPR
    Off-Peak: BVS, BVR, CDS, CDR, OPS, OPR, SSS, SSR, SVS, SVR
    Other: WKR
    50% Discount
    ADT, ODT (Outboundary Travelcards) - For travel starting outside London Zones 1-9
    50%
    POP, PAP for travel in London Fare Zones 1-6 only – Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card discount must be loaded onto on Oyster card
    50%

7DS, 7TS and monthly or longer period Season Tickets – not exceeding the expiry date of the Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card
    50%

Also available for through bookings to London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, on the London bus network, including sections outside Greater London where buses display the London buses logo (not on certain special bus services and excursions) and on London Tramlink.

Minimum fares

Card holder

All ticket types
    None
    Time restrictions

No time restriction.
    Holders of Off-Peak ticket types SVS/SVR which are discounted using a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card can travel on Virgin Train services at any time, provided that all travel is on Virgin Trains services only. This easement does not apply for journeys wholly between Milton Keynes Central/Northampton and London Euston in either direction.
  • Cpu2007
    I might have given the wrong impression but I don't think their machines or anything like this. I know their doing their job, I know their not machines.

My problem is regarding the amount of time they take to fulful such tasks, I mentioned the JCP code but it was still the same. Fortunately, I didn't have the same problem recently as the people who dealt with my tickets seemed to be smarter and used the search features of their system to do issue the ticket. Now, what I was used to do is buy 1-2 weeks returns tickets in advance so that I don't have to deal with them everyday.

As much as I understand that mistakes are part of the human nature (I make them too), I don't like the fact that in this society there's always a one way interaction where we, as citizens, are bound to follow their rules but the same doesn't apply to them when it comes providing services, being fair to their customers etc. I know this is a small issue but add similar small issues that you have to deal with all the time and I'm sure everyone will get really frustrated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure